PDA

View Full Version : Q&A Session 2011 number 1 - Dean Winstanley

Brett
17th January 2011, 05:15 PM
So here is the big return of the question and answer sessions.

WDF number 1 and Lakeside 2011 runner up Dean Winstanley has kindly agreed to answer some questions from the members on the forum. So here is the thread to ask your questions.

For any of the new members that wasnt here for the old ones Ill explain the system. This thread will be open for anything up to a week (although a quick turnover is essential here for certain reasons) for the members to put up as many questions as you like. At that time I will pick the best 10-20 questions to send to Dean for him to answer.

Just a couple of rules

Anything of an offensive nature will not be considered.
The Moderators decision on questions is final
Try to look at the questions so we dont have similar questions asked, or they will be ignored.
Try to ask a good mix of questions
For this to work we need a lot of questions, 10 questions from 2 members makes this feature pointless.
Try to keep conversation out of the thread, it makes finding questions. If you want to talk about this start a thread alongside this please:)
The deadline will be Friday 21st at 10pm (although I may end earlier if we have enough questions for reasons I wont disclose on this thread)

viking
17th January 2011, 05:33 PM
Hi Dean,

Firstly congratulations on a great year and making the final at Lakeside, did you think for one moment when you arrived that you would still be there on finals night and if not at what point did you think that you stood a chance of making the final?

A question that no doubt you've been asked too many times since Lakeside but I noticed you had a little problem with counting, Is this something that is a part of your game or was this a new thing for you? Would you put it down to nerves, the atmosphere, maybe a little bit to much amber nectar be fore your matches :biggrinodf: and have you done anything different since Lakeside to strengthen this part of your game?

Shed Inn
17th January 2011, 05:55 PM
Ayup Dean

Well done at lakeside, you had Wolfie on the ropes for a while.
Came to watch you in the county match against Surrey, I thought you might have been on a bit of a downer after Worlds Championship!
But you were on fine form, Oh and thanks for signing my wife ( Carole's ) program.
Any way here's my questions, How long were you on the county seen before you made the breakthrough to the big competitions?
I see you use trident 180's do you think they make a difference?

Shed.

Steve Metalman
17th January 2011, 06:24 PM
Hi Dean.
Thanks for doing this.

I believe you started at an early age and took up darts again later on, have you stuck with the same shape barrel throughout or did you go through a period of trial and error with different types/sets/styles/weights of darts before you settled on your current set.

The reason I ask is because, many new to dart playing often ask how many sets of darts we have got to find what works for us.

I wish you well and a continued success
Kind regards - Steve

RWA
17th January 2011, 06:54 PM
Hi Dean,

Great match against Adams :D

What made you decide to turn down a PDC Pro Tour card?

Spoonz
17th January 2011, 11:38 PM
Hi Dean plain and simple question the routines u practice at home do u practice them before a tournament or do u have a seperate practice for that

Cheers Damien

JEDI
17th January 2011, 11:39 PM
hi Dean, how old are you really?:biggrinodf:

Spoonz
18th January 2011, 10:56 AM
hi Dean, how old are you really?:biggrinodf:

sorry but lmaoo

Nato
18th January 2011, 11:10 AM
Why did you chose to come back to darts when you did? Did you know you had the talent to be so competitive on the circuit?

Ernie The Giant Chicken
18th January 2011, 09:07 PM
Hi Dean, firstly congrats on reaching the Lakeside final and giving us some great entertainment along the way, maybe next year's your year though eh? :winkodf:

My question is, how do you cope with nerves when playing & what processes/mind tricks do you find work best for you to help you keep calm and stay on your game? The answer 'ten pints' is not an option btw :cheekyodf:

Wile-E-OneEighty
19th January 2011, 08:03 AM
Hi Dean,

congrats on getting to the Lakeside final, your throwing action has become one of me favourites to watch.

I'll get the inevitable question out the way that you've been asked hundreds of times I suspect,

Are you looking to make a professional living out of the game in the PDC long term?

What were your reasons for turning down the PDC Pro Tour card? (If you have indeed turned it down)

Hawkeye
19th January 2011, 09:03 AM
*edited*
Question no longer needed as PDC announcement makes rumour false.

thedoubleonedestroyer
19th January 2011, 12:57 PM
hi dean
would u like to borrow my checkout calculator for the 2012 worlds? ;)

RNLarry
19th January 2011, 01:22 PM
Hi Dean,
My question to you Sir is: The day of a match how long do you practice? Some people say that can be overdone and you can throw away your best darts!
Your valued opinion.

All the Best RNLarry

oche balboa
19th January 2011, 09:32 PM
Hi Dean

What is your favourite Meal/ TV program and Sport (Other then Darts)

TROUBLEAGAIN
19th January 2011, 09:41 PM
Greetings,

Whats the first Televised match that you can remember? - Have you been to any of the Premier league Darting nights if yes how was it. Any up and coming Darters the man on the street hasnt heard much about..
All the best for 2011.

Martin71109
19th January 2011, 09:45 PM
Hi Dean

Congrats for reaching the final, i enjoyed watching your progression through the rounds.

Adding on from what Larry said about practising, how long per day do you practice on average? Do you do any other form of work/income?

Many thanks

Martin

kong
20th January 2011, 09:42 AM
is it true your middle name is roland hahahaha..........

Brett
21st January 2011, 12:29 PM
Keep them coming guys I want to end this tonight so Dean has chance over the weekend to answer them. If we dont have enough questions I will add some to the list that I can think of

Spoonz
21st January 2011, 12:48 PM
can we have more then one?

Brett
21st January 2011, 12:49 PM
certainly, The only issue I had is the last time I had around 15 questions, but from only like 4 or 5 people, but if 10 people ask 2 questions (or more) then thats fine

Steve Metalman
21st January 2011, 04:56 PM
Hi Dean.
Who were your major dart influences growing up.
You know the sort of people I mean, a family member or some of the pro's off the telly.
Did you get to go to events to watch live.

Did you play in youth competitions, EG Youth club etc

All the best for the future.
-Steve

Whilst I'm here, thanks for doing this Brett :thumbsup1:

mattav1
21st January 2011, 05:03 PM
I'll ask the same questions I asked Kong, favourite match watched/played in, favourite player growing up, best mate on tour?

All the best for the season Dean.

Matt

Hawkeye
21st January 2011, 08:19 PM
Apart from being world champion, if you could be granted one darting wish right now, what would it be?

Hawkeye
21st January 2011, 08:22 PM
What are your views on the politics that surround the sport? Are you a fan of the PDC way of things (by that, I mean the presentation of the sport)? What should the BDO be doing to try and compete?

Brett
21st January 2011, 11:20 PM
I think this will do for now

Thanks very much for the questions, I hope to get them to Dean this weekend