PDA

View Full Version : Reading rnlarrys post got me thinking..

TROUBLEAGAIN
20th January 2011, 02:08 PM
Todays question-

Would you leave your team especially if its a team of mates to join a better team ?
A few years ago i was offered a chance but stayed put- There again im a loyalist :biggrinodf:

How many have taken up the Darren Bent kind of riches :p.. I dont mean a different night. Also did it work out..

Spoonz
20th January 2011, 02:14 PM
i have and i am again end of this superleague season yea there my mates etc but wen it comes to darts you learn that should look after Number 1 and if they are really good mates then they wont be any different towards u if u leave will they??

bill b
20th January 2011, 02:18 PM
seen loads of lads do this.

we have teams of 6. the top teams have as many as 12 names.

if you love your darts why join a team just because they are winning the league to be a bench warmer?

even very good players are having to wait weeks to get a game.

all they get at the end of the season is one large trophy between the team. not even any cash, so wheres the incentive? just for the bragging rights to say you play for $$ team.

personally i would rather play for a lower ranked team and be guaranteed a game each week.

i go out to play darts, not watch others.

hopefully when i get better with my darts i will also be asked to move to better teams. but i,ll only move if theres a realistic chance of me getting regular games.

i have even seen teams sign more decent players to there team knowing they have too many lads anyway but also knowing that, that person wont be able to play for any other opposing teams.

RNLarry
20th January 2011, 02:20 PM
seen loads of lads do this.

we have teams of 6. the top teams have as many as 12 names.

if you love your darts why join a team just because they are winning the league to be a bench warmer?

even very good players are having to wait weeks to get a game.

all they get at the end of the season is one large trophy between the team. not even any cash, so wheres the incentive? just for the bragging rights to say you play for $$ team.

personally i would rather play for a lower ranked team and be guaranteed a game each week.

i go out to play darts, not watch others.

personal

I hear ya

Steve Metalman
20th January 2011, 05:18 PM
I'm not in a team right now but I tend to stick with one team and I'm not easily poached.
I'm with them come good or bad.
We share the highs as well as the lows.

A capt needs to be able to rely on commitment and not have to worry his best players are going to jump ship after one good season.

Also If a player should disappear to another team, whats to say that new team isn't as fickle and will dump you like a shot if you don't come up to what they are expecting.
Then you run the risk of not playing at all.

Steve Metalman
20th January 2011, 05:29 PM
A question I'd like to ask is;
Is it possible to play for your county, while your pub team is in the bottom division of the bottom league??
Are there any rules that prohibit this?

Venigoor
20th January 2011, 05:33 PM
I would say the same as some other here.

It would maybe be fun to play with the "better" team, BUT, what if you don't get to play anything in the new team. Even if you are a good player you will suffer from lack of matchtraining. And it's not fun just being there and watching the others play and have a great time.
But if you have good mates in the team you are leaving, then they shouldn't be any different against you, ( if you don't play them of course).

But its taking a chance when deciding to leave or stay. Maybe if you stay you will have problems with motivitation, if you leave you will maybe get better.
It could also be that your self confidence will suffer because of lack of games.

Thats my two cent :)

Spoonz
20th January 2011, 05:34 PM
county is picked through your superleague for example are superleague are county side is picked through this table http://www.woedarts.co.uk/sl_mens_aves_woe.htm its not your team perfromance its based on but your indivdual performance if your puttin in 25 after 25 average and your in a bottom division team (most superleagues are just 1 division) they will see your personal performances over what your team does if that makes sense

gazman
20th January 2011, 05:58 PM
county is picked through your superleague for example are superleague are county side is picked through this table http://www.woedarts.co.uk/sl_mens_aves_woe.htm its not your team perfromance its based on but your indivdual performance if your puttin in 25 after 25 average and your in a bottom division team (most superleagues are just 1 division) they will see your personal performances over what your team does if that makes sense

Spot on.

Shed Inn
20th January 2011, 07:39 PM
Ayup Comrades

When I first started playing for a pub team in the 70's it was made up of miners who just liked a game of darts with their pint!
Then I came along, the cap't took me under his wing cause I just wanted to win who ever or what ever I played.
After two years of paying my due's I moved to the local hot shots!! Thats when I learnt it's not what you can throw it's who you know!!!
one year on I decided to move on as brown nosing is not for me.
I moved to the roughest pub in town all blood and snot.
No darts team or players but plenty of attitude.
To cut a long boring story short, first year team league champions, individual champion, and pairs champions.
Satisfied look on face when ever meeting old team mates, the wheel always comes around.

Shed.

Buzz180
20th January 2011, 08:15 PM
In my friday league I have been asked a number of times by the top 3 sides to join them.

The side i'm in we norm finish around 5th/6th (14 teams) but I play with a great bunch of lads, there not the best players, but we all get along, and league nights are great fun.

I can understand people chasing money in comps, but the leagues I play in you get a trophy that will prob end up the attic after two weeks, so what's the point ??

Yes it's probably great to say your league champs, but I would rather play to have fun. Nobody goes out of the house to loose, but how you play the game makes all the difference to me.

NEZ
21st January 2011, 01:46 PM
I've been asked to jump ship before It got to a point where I wasn't getting picked for singles & only playing doubles so I was asked to join a struggling team. I was getting pissed off with not playing & almost joined the other team but in the end I decided I've been with the team 3 years & I'm gonna fight to get back into the team. I'm still with the same team now playing regular darts.

F4tboy
21st January 2011, 03:35 PM
I would never play for a team just to win the league.

I have always played for teams where going out and having a good time is just as important as winning the match.

My current team have been together for at least 10 years.

People have joined the team, people have left the team and people have returned to the team again.

The whole team has chosen to move venue on occasions because we did not like what the pub / sponsor was doing (RN Larry take note).

I have made alot of new friends this way and still enjoy playing for the same team.

Sometimes its not just the game, the social aspect comes into it as well.

There is a phrase down our way for people who constantly switch teams to win all the time.....

..... they are known as pothunters! (For their love of a little plastic or metal trophy at the end of the season)

Steve Metalman
21st January 2011, 07:42 PM
I've been asked to jump ship before It got to a point where I wasn't getting picked for singles & only playing doubles so I was asked to join a struggling team. I was getting pissed off with not playing & almost joined the other team but in the end I decided I've been with the team 3 years & I'm gonna fight to get back into the team. I'm still with the same team now playing regular darts.

Very interesting point.
It got me thinking about being under valued.
I admire you for sticking it out, I hope your team feels the same.

It can get a bit demoralising turning up week in week out and not getting picked
Where do you draw the line and say stuff it, its their loss.

This is a capts job to keep the teams spirits up and not collect your subs and then leave you on the bench.

I'm very loyal, but if it really was a long term issue,and not of my own making ( Stubborn Capt etc) that wasn't getting resolved, then I would reconsider my options.

As for being poached, I wouldn't go, but would be flattered by the offer who wouldn't be.