PDA

View Full Version : PC/Tech section?

Hawkeye
23rd January 2011, 09:39 AM
What do you think?

I've set up a couple of polls in the non-darts bit to see if there's any interest and if it's worth doing?

RWA
23rd January 2011, 09:48 AM
Sounds like a good idea :)

Hazza
23rd January 2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah why not, we all use PC's etc to be able to come onto this forum so there's bound to be technical questions that need asking.

Steve Metalman
24th January 2011, 02:04 PM
Great idea
It would be useful for so many things, walk throughs and walk-arounds for technical issues, how to manipulate images, PC repairs, downloads etc to name a couple.

I give my full support for this suggestion, and will help if I can

Missed!
24th January 2011, 02:29 PM
Sounds good to me, I should be able to help as I work in the software industry.

Toli
24th January 2011, 02:40 PM
I'm an IT technician, but most of my solutions revolve around

- turn it off and on again
- google it

cmcgrory
24th January 2011, 04:34 PM

- google it

Have you ever typed "Google" into Google apparantly you can break the internet :D

dartnut
24th January 2011, 04:38 PM
don't see the benefit of it; yes i understand some of you can give answers but there a special forums for this item

Steve Metalman
25th January 2011, 01:53 AM
don't see the benefit of it; yes i understand some of you can give answers but there a special forums for this item

You are correct there are places on the internet to solve problems, but the benefit of asking here is you do not have to trawl the internet, if you happen to be here on the forum and can ask people you know from here.
We call it one stop shop (all you can find in one place).

Sometimes people don't know where to start looking on the internet, so a helpful post can point someone in the right direction to start looking.

There are many reasons for having a section such as this, not always obvious until the question arises

Kazinjo
25th January 2011, 01:06 PM

- google it

Yeah, JFGI always works!

Toli
25th January 2011, 01:11 PM
I have used both of those solutions already this week and it's only tuesday!

Melbat
29th January 2011, 05:47 PM
I think this would be a good addition to the site.
May I be the first to ask for a little help with my pc pretty please?:biggrinodf:

Before I ask I have done the turn off and on again as this usually fixes stuff :cheekyodf:

I have just reformatted PC and I would like to know how I change the way a page scrolls? I'm using XP and before formatting any page I was looking at would scroll perfectly but now there seems to be some sort of wave (for want of a better word) running through the page when I scroll.

Hope this makes sense and any help would be appreciated so much.:smileb:

Missed!
29th January 2011, 06:05 PM
Hi, After you formatted have you re-installed your video driver? Sounds like a video driver/screen refresh issue.

Melbat
29th January 2011, 06:12 PM
Hi, After you formatted have you re-installed your video driver? Sounds like a video driver/screen refresh issue.

Yes,took me a while to find it but it has been updated.

Steve Metalman
29th January 2011, 06:17 PM
A good source for drivers is;
driverguide.com (http://www.driverguide.com/)

Missed!
29th January 2011, 06:20 PM
Ok, right-click on your desktop and select Properties > Settings, change the Colour Quality to "Highest (32 bit), then adjust your Screen Resolution to your liking, then click on Apply.

If this doesn't work try:

Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing, tick "Use smooth scrolling"

Steve Metalman
29th January 2011, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure if its a refresh rate issue, but worth a look
You can find it in
control panel/display/settings/advanced/monitor.

Start with the lowest setting, usually 60 hertz and work your way up the list one at a time.
If this doesn't work you can always go back to the original setting.
Remember to make a note of what it is.

Have you checked all your leads are firmly plugged in??

Melbat
29th January 2011, 06:40 PM
OK,Have tried both your suggestions guys and I still have a wave...and now IE isn't loading properly lol...going to reboot again and see if that helps at all :redfaceodf:

Missed!
29th January 2011, 06:42 PM
Off to the pub now bud, I'll check in tomorrow to see if you have sorted it

Steve Metalman
29th January 2011, 06:48 PM
What sort of mouse do you have.
If its a usb type you could try it in a different socket.
Have you ticked the smooth scrolling check box in Explorer settings

Melbat
29th January 2011, 06:52 PM
I have a USB mouse and I have ticked the smooth scroll option in settings,maybe I should just drop PC out of the window and see if that helps ;)

Steve Metalman
29th January 2011, 07:05 PM
Another suggestion is to uninstall the mouse driver in; Control panel/system/Device manager.
Then reboot. let the found new hardware wizard take over.

It could be your mouse causing the issue.

Melbat
29th January 2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks Steve,will try that after updates have installed....damn,why did I think formatting my PC would solve problems hehe

Steve Metalman
29th January 2011, 07:14 PM
Ha ha , we've all done it...once lol.
From what I've read from browsing the internet just now, getting the latest drivers for your video card can solve some issues.
Are you using IE7 or 8??.

I have both Chrome and IE8 on my XP system. both have their virtues, but after some serious consideration I actually got to like chrome in the end. once I got used to it thats the main one I use for every day bits and bobs now.
You still need explorer sometimes that why I keep the shortcut on my desktop

Melbat
29th January 2011, 07:48 PM
I have the same as you Steve,I prefer the Chrome too but need IE for certain things.

Updates installed for now,off to try the mouse trick now lol

Melbat
29th January 2011, 08:00 PM
:eekodf:...Looks like all is well again,messed with the mouse thing as you suggested and then had a look at graphics settings again as Missed suggested earlier and things seem to be running properly again.

Fingers crossed and thank you both for all your help.:goodone:

Mel

Steve Metalman
29th January 2011, 09:49 PM
Glad you got it sorted Mel :thumbsup1:

Melbat
29th January 2011, 09:52 PM
All looks good so far anyway lol....just fighting with SP3 thing now :rolleyesodf:

Steve Metalman
29th January 2011, 09:58 PM
Theres an hour and a half of you life you won't see again lol

I bet you are looking forward to reinstalling all your favourite programs :computerpunch:

Melbat
29th January 2011, 10:02 PM
Maybe that is what was causing the problems in the first place,I should streamline the rubbish I have on here I think lol.
DartPro has been installed though :biggrinodf:

Steve Metalman
29th January 2011, 10:08 PM
I'll pm you a link to a program that will save you a load of bother in the future.

Missed!
30th January 2011, 10:10 AM
Glad is sorted Melbat, got a day with my 3 grandkids now. The oldest is 3, oh my god!

Melbat
30th January 2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks for your help Missed and have a great day with the grandkids :)