PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a scrappy game.

Gary O Connor
31st January 2011, 02:09 AM
I play in a pub darts league and i tend to play at a high standard when faced with a tough opponant. I played during the week against a poor player and put pressure on myself to beat him up. The outcome was I got beat 2-1 and didn't play my usual game, how do other players cope with these circumstance, any tips and advice appreciated.:confusedodf:

Daz180
31st January 2011, 03:00 AM
normally what helps me in this situation is thinkin how easy it is to hit a treble 20 with one dart and then it goes in, simple.

BUT...

IMPO i think to get better and win more u shud be concentrating on your game, tryin to beat ur best leg or whatever, hittin ur scores and forget about ur opponent. Dependin wat league u play in, consistently havin 15/18/21 dart legs in ur matches should be wat ur aiming for.

A psycholist will be straight and say, the name of the game is Darts. Simple, think of ur darts goin in, think about how easy it is and if possible dont look and hope for his darts to be off. just play ur game

macca77
31st January 2011, 03:10 AM
same as that gary.if he throws well i get going but if he starts bad i just hit 45s and 41s.hard to get going then after that

Gary O Connor
31st January 2011, 03:32 AM
same as that gary.if he throws well i get going but if he starts bad i just hit 45s and 41s.hard to get going then after that

Yea I know what you mean, he is a good enough player but had a bad night. I think we put each other off by trying too hard.

Gary O Connor
31st January 2011, 03:33 AM
normally what helps me in this situation is thinkin how easy it is to hit a treble 20 with one dart and then it goes in, simple.

BUT...

IMPO i think to get better and win more u shud be concentrating on your game, tryin to beat ur best leg or whatever, hittin ur scores and forget about ur opponent. Dependin wat league u play in, consistently havin 15/18/21 dart legs in ur matches should be wat ur aiming for.

A psycholist will be straight and say, the name of the game is Darts. Simple, think of ur darts goin in, think about how easy it is and if possible dont look and hope for his darts to be off. just play ur game

Some great advice there, I will try and do better cheers mate.

Daz180
31st January 2011, 03:51 AM
Ive only been playing a while but thats the best advice i've been given so far, I understand not everyone is Gary anderson and Adrian Lewis but they are so comfortable, or a good player in a lesser league because if the person hits 15 darters consistently, then its the other person worrying about beating you. go up throw ur game, thats it.

Blindside
31st January 2011, 08:56 AM
Im exactly the same as you mate. My friend often comes round for a best of 14 and if he hits 80+ scores, i do. If he plays terribly, so do i. Its because im not playing my game, im playing him too much IMO.

Another classic me - ill hammer the board and be hundreds ahead, and will then take 15 darts at a double untill hes down to a finish, then ill take it out?
And any big finishes i do, are ALWAYS when my friend is already on a double, its like clockwork. Lots of ironing out to do for me aswell!

ICEMAN
1st February 2011, 12:03 AM
I play in a pub darts league and i tend to play at a high standard when faced with a tough opponant. I played during the week against a poor player and put pressure on myself to beat him up. The outcome was I got beat 2-1 and didn't play my usual game, how do other players cope with these circumstance, any tips and advice appreciated.:confusedodf:

I am exactly the same mate, I tend to play better against better players. I know I should treat everyone the same but its just something I cant do.This is one of my biggest issues as a player I tend to play to the standard instead of my own game.I dont think its that I underestimate these players as they all have three darts its just I find it hard to get motivated.

On a thursday nights I practice agaisnt one of the best players in my league I dont win many actually im usually lucky if I get below 100 but I know I have to play well even to compete but I usually play some decent darts against him.

on friday night league I played I guy who tbh allthough is a nice guy, I should be destroying he started poorly and I followed. I just couldnt get motivated even then getting to a double I couldnt hit it was so frustrating after I had been playing quite well, I only hit one treble 20 all game.

RNLarry
1st February 2011, 01:26 AM
I am exactly the same mate, I tend to play better against better players. I know I should treat everyone the same but its just something I cant do.This is one of my biggest issues as a player I tend to play to the standard instead of my own game.I dont think its that I underestimate these players as they all have three darts its just I find it hard to get motivated.

On a thursday nights I practice agaisnt one of the best players in my league I dont win many actually im usually lucky if I get below 100 but I know I have to play well even to compete but I usually play some decent darts against him.

on friday night league I played I guy who tbh allthough is a nice guy, I should be destroying he started poorly and I followed. I just couldnt get motivated even then getting to a double I couldnt hit it was so frustrating after I had been playing quite well, I only hit one treble 20 all game.

Yep Im there too