PDA

View Full Version : Why oh Why



dartnut
31st January 2011, 03:29 PM
can't i play good when facing an interesting match;

Locally i am able to play my legs with 18 darts or better; with a few exceptions...

Why can't i do the same when playing superleague, national or international tournaments or rankings..

whenever i play there i seem to crumble; start with a few good scores, then drop down to 26 or even less... seems i can't hit a double anymore whenever i have the opportunity..

don't know what's happening; it's frustrating and i'm thinking of quitting if i can't get this solved....

RNLarry
31st January 2011, 03:45 PM
can't i play good when facing an interesting match;

Locally i am able to play my legs with 18 darts or better; with a few exceptions...

Why can't i do the same when playing superleague, national or international tournaments or rankings..

whenever i play there i seem to crumble; start with a few good scores, then drop down to 26 or even less... seems i can't hit a double anymore whenever i have the opportunity..

don't know what's happening; it's frustrating and i'm thinking of quitting if i can't get this solved....

Okay you should quit and also never come back to forum!:doh:

No just kidding mate. I believe its all in your head, like I say 90% of darts is mental and the other 10% is in your head if your mechanics are spot on. It's easier said than done to keep cool under pressure. Thats what separates the good and really good players IMHO. Maybe some of our members have a technigue they can share here.

Good luck, and don't even think about quitting.

Steve Metalman
31st January 2011, 03:52 PM
I think you know what I'm going to say here dartnut. It's in your head!!.
You know and we know you are good so tell your darts to listen to you and do as they are told.

The competition level has a profound affect on the psyche.
There always is a drop in form when put under pressure from either yourself or your opponent or even the importance of the competitition.

How many times have you seen top class talented players that can easily hit 9 darters at home or in exhibition, struggle to hit the target in a big tournament.

It's a state of mind, and unfortunately the only way to practice for big competitions is to play big competitions, and to keep playing until something clicks in your head.

We all love winning, but sometimes we don't win and that is the great teacher.

dartnut
31st January 2011, 04:16 PM
thx, mates; I know what you are saying but:

playing for 4 or 5 years now international and superleague for 3 years; i'd say you'd get used to some pressure; locally (county) i've got no problems but as soon as i play something really interesting the sh hits the fan.... it is so frustrating throwing 125, 140, 100, 26, 9, 18; not once but everytime again

somehow i've got to learn to cope with it, ignore it or whatever but how...

RNLarry
31st January 2011, 05:13 PM
thx, mates; I know what you are saying but:

playing for 4 or 5 years now international and superleague for 3 years; i'd say you'd get used to some pressure; locally (county) i've got no problems but as soon as i play something really interesting the sh hits the fan.... it is so frustrating throwing 125, 140, 100, 26, 9, 18; not once but everytime again

somehow i've got to learn to cope with it, ignore it or whatever but how...

A friend told this which may help your over thinking ( this could be the problem) couple of deep breathes at the oche before shooting and shaking your hands to loosen the tension. Good luck!