PDA

View Full Version : Counting practice

JinRI
1st August 2013, 03:17 PM
The subject of math/counting seems to come up fairly often. I came up with a very simple routine to help (I think) work on that. I've copied this from one of my replies in another thread.

It's basically a variation of 170. All scorekeeping is done in your head, as you throw.

Start at 170. Throw one round, subtracting the score of each dart as you throw. If you take out 170, Great! Have a cookie! If not, add each dart of the next round as you throw. Subtract the following round. Continue like this until you achieve an out.

The idea here is to count AS you throw. Count each dart. In time, you won't have to slow down to calculate. It'll become automatic.

This routine, I think, is good practice for counting as well as working on your out shots.

mattiorn
1st August 2013, 11:15 PM
I do this alot but I try to finish 170 in 9 darts or less, if I don't I start again

JinRI
2nd August 2013, 01:53 AM
Same here - When I play 170. The main intention of this is to work on counting as you throw. If you don't get the out, you are free to shoot whatever you like to add points back. Doing this, you can keep yourself within a range that can be taken out in three darts or less.