PDA

View Full Version : Grand National

lovejoy
8th April 2011, 03:16 PM
Not really a gambler myself but usually have a punt in the national, any tips? :smileb:

Ace Rimmer
8th April 2011, 03:20 PM
put a shed load of cash on the winner :smileodf:

Bocuma
8th April 2011, 03:48 PM
put a shed load of cash on the winner :smileodf:

A friend of my grandad's used to put money on every horse, just so he could say he had a winner :rolleyesodf:

Bocuma
8th April 2011, 03:53 PM
I know nothing about racing but will probably have a couple of quid on Hello Bud and Oscar Time

Bigshow
8th April 2011, 04:01 PM
I`ll probably pick the one A.P. 'Mc coy ' is driving :biggrinodf:

lovejoy
8th April 2011, 04:01 PM
I`ll probably pick the one A.P. 'Mc coy ' is driving :biggrinodf:

Lmao!

viking
8th April 2011, 04:32 PM
A friend of my grandad's used to put money on every horse, just so he could say he had a winner :rolleyesodf:

Even doing that he's had some good results over the years kauto star at 100/1 springs to mind that'll be 60 profit if he put a pound on each.

lovejoy
8th April 2011, 04:39 PM
I like to put a couple of quid on 2 or 3, never won a pound! :D

viking
8th April 2011, 04:40 PM
I like to put a couple of quid on 2 or 3, never won a pound! :D

I don;t usually do to bad on the horses, only bet on the big races and only usually go for names I recognise but always seem to get something back on the each way bets.

lovejoy
8th April 2011, 04:49 PM
Then tell me who your betting on this time then!! Lol :D I might finally win something!

Steve Metalman
8th April 2011, 05:03 PM
Havent done the list yet, but I can usually narrow it down to 20 horses out of 40.

We narrow it down thus

I start with our Initials, then

Lucky numbers,
Nice names,
those in the top 5 of the betting I fancy,
Jockeys
Owners
Trainers
If they've come over from abroad

After I've picked my big list (well our list, Mrs M's and mine)
I narrow it down again;

Going
Course and distance
Form

After all that we are left with about eight
But we dont bet, we call it a 'Mind bet'

Mrs M is the winner most years
Mine usually fall.
She has the uncanny knack of getting the first one she picks

One year she picked 8 horses and got 2nd 3rd 4th 5th and 6th but not the winner

Edit:
We also pick one of the 50-100/1 outsiders just in case

viking
8th April 2011, 05:04 PM
Then tell me who your betting on this time then!! Lol :D I might finally win something!

Back stage each way at 12/1 and Oscar time also 12/1 ridden by Sam Waley-Cohen, if you go each way on both you should be quids in because I think both will place in the top 5.

lovejoy
8th April 2011, 05:36 PM
Back stage each way at 12/1 and Oscar time also 12/1 ridden by Sam Waley-Cohen, if you go each way on both you should be quids in because I think both will place in the top 5.

big_rick
8th April 2011, 06:02 PM
im off to aintree tomorrow!! my tips, hello bud, what a friend and dont push it!!

Steve Metalman
8th April 2011, 07:15 PM
Ok I've picked my list, here it is
I'm hoping for one in the top 5

Dont Push It. (3rd)
What a Friend.
The Midnight Club (6th)
Silver By Nature.
Back Stage.
Chief Dan George.
Hello Bud.
Bluesea Cracker
Skippers Brig.
Golden Kite.

TROUBLEAGAIN
8th April 2011, 08:54 PM
Oscar time for me-

tommy
8th April 2011, 09:11 PM
stick the form list to the board, close your eyes and throw!! winner every time!! lol

Steve Metalman
8th April 2011, 09:16 PM
stick the form list to the board, close your eyes and throw!! winner every time!! lol

Thats as good as it gets
Works with lottery numbers too :biggrinodf:

Bigshow
8th April 2011, 09:38 PM
Got a few tips today lads, one horse is called `foundations` so get your house on it, and the other one was `lunchtime special at 12 to 1. :winkodf::cheekyodf:

tommy
8th April 2011, 09:39 PM
classy lol

hightower
9th April 2011, 10:16 PM
Right fellow dart fans , I may have been a bit discourteous towards this pastime of gambling you all seem to love, but today under heavy pressure from the hightower family, I went into one of those turf accountants to place the family grand national picks , it was a bit like star wars in there and once I had waded my way through the tramps to get to the bullet proof glass protected assistants (who have a universal name for everyone which seems to be "love") , I placed the bets with the lovely assistant which came to 24 in total , imagine my horror when the hightower family picks actually managed to finish 3rd and 4th respectfully , thus meaning I have to negotiate it all again tommorow ! I hope I dont get one of those gambling bugs which I have heard about !!!!

Steve Metalman
9th April 2011, 10:49 PM
We got 3rd and 6th so by not betting we are up 2.

I wonder how much bookies make on people not bothering to collect their 40p winnings?

Stran
9th April 2011, 11:05 PM
We got 3rd and 6th so by not betting we are up 2.

I wonder how much bookies make on people not bothering to collect their 40p winnings?

not alot they need to hold it , so therefore they cant spend it

Stran
9th April 2011, 11:09 PM
although not sure how long lol

jay 180
9th April 2011, 11:13 PM
sad to see the runners die , hope it gets banned

TROUBLEAGAIN
9th April 2011, 11:33 PM

never nice to see horses killed at any horse event-Unfortunatley it happens.

viking
10th April 2011, 10:29 AM

What a load of nonsense, its never nice to see a horse die but 20 footballers have died in the last 6 years on the pitch should we ban football? Last year over 60 people died from toaster related deaths, should we ban them as well?

lovejoy
10th April 2011, 12:54 PM
What a load of nonsense, its never nice to see a horse die but 20 footballers have died in the last 6 years on the pitch should we ban football? Last year over 60 people died from toaster related deaths, should we ban them as well?
Yeah ban toasters!! tulipin death traps!

Dartitis
10th April 2011, 02:37 PM
I had 3 horses yesterday, but enough about my private life ho ho, and had mixed results. My big bet Calgary Bay fell early doors. My other two Oscar Time and Midnight Club finished 2nd and 6th respectively. Made a small profit. (approx 8)

Steve Metalman
10th April 2011, 02:44 PM
Does one line betting offer more variation?
I used to do lucky 15s, do they still offer things like that?

Bigshow
10th April 2011, 05:21 PM
Does one line betting offer more variation?
I used to do lucky 15s, do they still offer things like that?

I`m not sure about more variaiton, i would assume so but i do know that lucky 15`s can still be done online and in stores.

Paul D
11th April 2011, 01:52 PM
I had State of Play at 33's...

oche balboa
11th April 2011, 03:14 PM
Mine fell early on

TROUBLEAGAIN
11th April 2011, 04:35 PM
2nd again in the national and even worse 2nd yet again in the Masters at 80-1 !!!!! Hopefully Liverpool game tonight will be 3rd time lucky..

jameshope
14th April 2011, 05:16 PM
Had The Midnight Club 1 e/w and Backstage 1 e/w so sadly didn't have the winner