PDA

View Full Version : Darts?

Dartitis
11th December 2010, 08:21 PM
i've been asked to pick some darts for my christmas present from my nephew, i know what sort of barrels im after but my question is i've always thrown 24/25g. if i dropped down to a 20/21g dart would i see a drastic difference in how they fly/land etc?

apologies if i've put this in the wrong place

gazman
11th December 2010, 08:22 PM
Im thinking of doing the same thing, so i'll read the answers with interest.

Steve Metalman
11th December 2010, 08:38 PM
I'd some out before buying any.
Have you got any mates?

Dartitis
11th December 2010, 08:43 PM
I'd some out before buying any.
Have you got any mates?

of course! i'm a very popular son of a gun! none of them like darts though

Steve Metalman
11th December 2010, 08:53 PM
I think there's a is a difference, but you might like it.
But you won't know until you try.

I played 22g straight barrels for years and went the other way up to 24g.
The little bit of difference balanced out my throw.
But I also completely changed my stems and flights, which was another trial and error period.

I've read that using lighter darts takes more precision to get them where you want them to go.
And suit the more experienced player

clwyd_darts13
12th December 2010, 12:54 AM
Stick with what youve got unless your good. If your having doubts it will only affect your confidence and may take awhile to get any good which will mean you will wish you didnt change and probably end up going back any way. I was lucky as a few years ago I lived in a little village called Llandulas and the local sports shop in Colwyn Bay let you open if possible and try the darts (mainly harrows stuff as unicorn are awful to get into) they had a board in the back. Try and find somewhere local that does the same as it does help. My current darts are 3 grams lighter than what i played with before dislocating my shoulder and find that now i group better and score heaps of 140's and 180's than i used to. Hope this helps if not do what i still have a habit of doing even with strangers and borrow their darts for a few throws always make me glad i play with what i do when you throw with all manner of wierd and wonderful combinations.....

clwyd_darts13
12th December 2010, 01:07 AM
I think there's a is a difference, but you might like it.
But you won't know until you try.

I played 22g straight barrels for years and went the other way up to 24g.
The little bit of difference balanced out my throw.
But I also completely changed my stems and flights, which was another trial and error period.

I've read that using lighter darts takes more precision to get them where you want them to go.
And suit the more experienced player

In reply to Steves quote above regarding weight of darts, i will admit that i used to be able to step up to a board and just throw with heavier darts and be pretty much in the groove straight away even getting 180's with first throw, but lighter darts are harder in a way. i find that sometimes my first 5 minutes look like the non darts player from 1980's bullseye then all of sudden i start throwing really well. This doesn't help when playing matches with limited darts to warm up because i usually throw all over the place first 2 legs and find myself behind then all of sudden kick in gear and play better, I hope this annoys my opponents who by this time have meandered down to my level which then changes. Probably doesnt help but its worth mentioning!

Dartitis
13th December 2010, 07:39 PM
Have ordered some 24g Co Stompe's from the good people at Darts Corner. Good times!

varney
14th December 2010, 12:48 AM
I throw 20g knurled and ringed darts 51mm long and 6.5mm wide, medium deflectagrip nylon shafts, and r4x flights.
In a leauge match been thinking of going up 1 or 2 gram's but with the same dart's.
i feel the weight's not right but in practice all's well with the 20g dart's dont know if it's me do you guy's feel if you lose the weight in a comp ??????

rhern
14th December 2010, 01:13 PM
I tried going down to 22grams from 25, and I couldn't throw them for toffee. Everyone's different though :)