PDA

View Full Version : Phase 5 is different weights (or Lowes)

Hazza
18th July 2011, 03:53 PM
Here's a question for Unicorn, but also for you guys out there too.

I am a user of 24g John Lowe Golden Hero's. Now then these dart's have been discontinued along with all the other Lowe Golden Hero's I believe. These darts are superb but obviously not as popular as a lovely set of Phase 5's which lets be fair are a pretty similar dart.

So my question to Unicorn is are their any plans to bring out Phase 5's in any weight other than 26g. I for one would not be able to use that weight and I know there are an awful lot of players out there who use much lighter darts and would probably try the Phase 5's in a lower weight.

With the discontinuation of the Lowe's I can't help but feel that Unicorn are missing out on a lot of potential in the market that could be encompassed with the simple production of Phase 5's in two additional weights.

As for everyone else out there how many of you would try such a product if it were available given that the Lowe's are no longer available in the main stream.

Cheers,

Hazza

The Rage
18th July 2011, 03:59 PM
Good idea Haz, most other players darts in the Unicorn range are at varied weights so how about Taylors, i found them a wee bit too heavy :)

mc1958
18th July 2011, 04:03 PM
If they were available in 22g then I would probably give them a try - 24g may even be ok as well. I certainly wouldn't try 26g as they currently stand though - far too heavy for me. I'm guessing though that if they were to lower the weight then it would either change the shape or shorten the barrels somewhat.

Hazza
18th July 2011, 04:03 PM
Good idea Haz, most other players darts in the Unicorn range are at varied weights so how about Taylors, i found them a wee bit too heavy :)

And there is the point, practically all the other players with Unicorn have their darts available is varying ranges, but not the Phase 5's, seems odd to me.

Steve Metalman
18th July 2011, 06:32 PM
26 grams is a bit extreme for some players
I have phase 5s as a back up for my Lowe golden Heros 24 grams

If the LGHs are to continue to be sunsetted then
I'd agree that a range of lighter weights in the phase 5s ought to be considered
So that the lower weight players aren't left out

Giraffe
18th July 2011, 08:23 PM
22g Phase 5's would be fantastic.

JEDI
18th July 2011, 10:06 PM
22g Phase 5's would be fantastic.

no they would be LGH with phil Taylors signiture on them and cost twice as much...............:biggrinodf:

NEZ
19th July 2011, 10:57 AM
I agree with you on this 1 Hazza I to use the Lowe hero 24g & think they are proberbly the best dart I've ever thrown & thats alot! I ended up buying a spare set a couple of months ago before they get discontinued.

I think its strange that they would get rid of the lowe hero range & then keep the Taylor hero range because with Taylor WC out their you have the same dart out in 7 different wieghts from 21g to 27g

Steve Metalman
19th July 2011, 01:31 PM
I think its a gamble to have 7 different weights for a manufacturer, but 3 weights would cover most tastes 22g, 24g, and the 26g they are already doing.

At the end of the day they have to sell the things, and the last thing they need is a bunch of stock not leaving the shelves.
23g and 25g aren't as popular as the 22g and 24s they could introduce them a later date if the 22s and 24s flew off the shelves

Hazza
19th July 2011, 04:24 PM
Where's Ed, and why isn't he here answering this question?

Steve Metalman
19th July 2011, 04:27 PM
Because he's on the phone to uniboffin asking if it can be done :biggrinodf:

adonis
19th July 2011, 04:30 PM
i used 24g John Lowe's for years too - a popular weight and style There must be a call for it

Hazza
19th July 2011, 04:30 PM
I wan't some fricking royalties if he is, or at least a complimentary set in 24g :)

Steve Metalman
19th July 2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah, you tell em Hazza :biggrinodf:

TavernDartsTeam
20th July 2011, 06:18 PM
i have the 26g, sometimes they are brilliant but i find when i get tired, they dont fly right but my 22g darryl fitton ones ply right any time?? Hmm...

Giraffe
20th July 2011, 07:50 PM
Ask the uniboffin the question on his blog.

Hazza
20th July 2011, 09:40 PM
link? Can't seem to find where to do it.

Steve Metalman
20th July 2011, 10:09 PM
Unicorns website?
I dont know to be honest

Hazza
20th July 2011, 10:13 PM
The actual uniboffin bit where you actually post stuff

Steve Metalman
20th July 2011, 10:14 PM
Type uniboffin into the search function
I'm too busy to check at the mo
Giraffe has all the facts lol

Hazza
20th July 2011, 10:16 PM
I shall await the long necked one

Edward Lowy
21st July 2011, 09:21 AM
Hi Hazza - excellent question, apologies for not replying sooner, have had an explosive uMail from the UniBoffin this morning saying what am I playing at, finger out etc etc. Quite right too.

It's a perfectly valid point you make, not that you will buy them judging by your signature...

As it happens the Unicorn Book of Darts 2012 has dropped on my desk this morning. And there is Phase 5 in ...26g. Will have a think about this - demand for the JL Heroes dropped off quite markedly which is why we took them out of the range.

Kind regards

Edward

adonis
21st July 2011, 10:01 AM
HI Eddy baby

Did demand for the JLs drop when you rebranded them as Phil Taylor darts and tripled the price?

What did you have for breakfast this morning? Is there a canteen at Unicorn HQ?

Adonis

Edward Lowy
21st July 2011, 10:50 AM
HI Eddy baby

Did demand for the JLs drop when you rebranded them as Phil Taylor darts and tripled the price?

What did you have for breakfast this morning? Is there a canteen at Unicorn HQ?

Adonis

Now I remember why I rush back here, it's for the sheer Feelgood of it all...

Trade price of Hero rose 37% between July 2006 and today broadly as Tungsten has risen.

Breakfast, none, canteen, no.

Kind regards

Edward

Steve Metalman
21st July 2011, 10:55 AM
Don't worry Edward we are not all like that :smileodf:
We appreciate the time you take to talk to us
Many thanks for your answer

Edward Lowy
21st July 2011, 10:58 AM
No prob Steve!

Giraffe
21st July 2011, 11:17 AM
Are there any plans in the future for phase 5 darts in different weights? 2013 release maybe?

Edward Lowy
21st July 2011, 04:19 PM
Are there any plans in the future for phase 5 darts in different weights? 2013 release maybe?

Thinking about that at the moment - what weights what finishes?

Hazza
21st July 2011, 04:29 PM
Hi Hazza - excellent question, apologies for not replying sooner, have had an explosive uMail from the UniBoffin this morning saying what am I playing at, finger out etc etc. Quite right too.

It's a perfectly valid point you make, not that you will buy them judging by your signature...

As it happens the Unicorn Book of Darts 2012 has dropped on my desk this morning. And there is Phase 5 in ...26g. Will have a think about this - demand for the JL Heroes dropped off quite markedly which is why we took them out of the range.

Kind regards

Edward

Thanks for the reply Ed, it's much appreciated. Ignore the sig, I throw 24g JLGH's. I can imagine that the demand for the JL's may well have dropped off, not a big player with the youngsters and those new to the game.

Going on from Giraffe's post I think what I would be enquiring after are the Taylor's but in different weights. IMO I'd suggest 22grm and 24grm to be added, common weights used by a fair few players, you would cover the 23grm and 25grm market too as most would go one way or the other to an available weight.

As for finishes, I don't know what the costs are involved in different types of finish, this is your field. I guess I would look at what the most popular finish is in the 26grm and do them in that, for cost effectiveness as they are a new line I guess the natural finish may be the best to go with, but if Rosso's sell like hot oatcakes then it would be that, it'll be down to your sales figures on that one.

Steve Metalman
21st July 2011, 04:44 PM
I'd definitely suggest the the gold titanium finish in 24grams for the phases

Giraffe
21st July 2011, 06:51 PM
Thinking about that at the moment - what weights what finishes?

22,24,26,28 grams.
Naturall, Golden titanium, Black Titanium, Rosso and in a Blue finish.

Hazza
21st July 2011, 08:26 PM
22,24,26,28 grams.
Naturall, Golden titanium, Black Titanium, Rosso and in a Blue finish.

Not too demanding then

Good.Darts.Dan
21st July 2011, 09:24 PM

Kind regards

Edward

Hello Edward.

Are the 2012 Unicorn books available to the public on request?

Cheers.

Giraffe
21st July 2011, 09:50 PM
Not too demanding then

Not at all.

Hazza
21st July 2011, 09:51 PM
Would you like pink flecks and your name engraved on them instead of the Power?

Hazza
21st July 2011, 09:51 PM
I'd definitely suggest the the gold titanium finish in 24grams for the phases

Only because you wan't them!

Giraffe
21st July 2011, 09:53 PM
Would you like pink flecks and your name engraved on them instead of the Power?

Blue and yellow flecks please and my name engraved in gold!

Steve Metalman
21st July 2011, 11:17 PM
Only because you wan't them!

Oh for certain, I think the Gold Titanium is the most forgiving colour as regards wear and tear

Edward Lowy
22nd July 2011, 09:02 AM
Well that seems to have cleared that up then! Thanks chaps!

JEDI
22nd July 2011, 10:05 AM
Oh for certain, I think the Gold Titanium is the most forgiving colour as regards wear and tear

natural tungsten is the most forgiving of any colour

James H
30th July 2011, 02:23 PM
If they sold 24 gram rosso phase 5's I'd certainly buy them. I would've bought some john lowe darts if they were in 24 gram but I think they go 21/23/25/27? :frownodf:

Hazza
30th July 2011, 02:43 PM
They do now

James H
30th July 2011, 03:25 PM
They do now

I'm assuming you mean the Lowe's, doing a quick search the cheapest I can see are 48!

Steve Metalman
30th July 2011, 03:32 PM
Its a lot of money to buy them on a whim
Think carefully to if you need them!!

I do love my John Lowes and my Phase 5s but they're not for everyone

James H
30th July 2011, 04:29 PM
Its a lot of money to buy them on a whim
Think carefully to if you need them!!

I do love my John Lowes and my Phase 5s but they're not for everyone
You're right there, I will give it some time before I decide but the barrel I throw with right now is 40.6mm long with a diameter of 8mm so they are very similar, just the Lowe's grip looks superior and its unicorn rather than some unknown manufacturer, plus the Lowe's look quite nice with the gold finish I think.
If I did go for it I'd have to sell other sets so I can pay the price in darts rather than cash. :biggrinodf:

Steve Metalman
30th July 2011, 05:26 PM
Personally I go for the gold titanium every time even though its pricey
The gold is a more forgiving colour as regards chips and nicks compared to any other colour.

As a dart tart the gold goes with anything you want to put on the barrels as regards stems and flights etc.

The Titanium has a nice warm brass feel to it.

James H
30th July 2011, 06:38 PM
Personally I go for the gold titanium every time even though its pricey
The gold is a more forgiving colour as regards chips and nicks compared to any other colour.

As a dart tart the gold goes with anything you want to put on the barrels as regards stems and flights etc.

The Titanium has a nice warm brass feel to it.
Seriously thinking about buying these, would they be easy to sell on at most of the original price if I don't get on with them?

I'm thinking: gold titanium barrel - white medium nylon stem - black pear flight

Steve Metalman
30th July 2011, 06:40 PM
Sounds good...kite flights work better though..something to think about

James H
30th July 2011, 06:50 PM
Didn't know that, if they would suit the lowe's its probably worth trying them on my current setup as well, thanks.

Steve Metalman
30th July 2011, 06:53 PM
Kites are a strange animal, halfway between a standard and a pear flight
They give the stability of the standard and the speed of the pear, best of both worlds.

James H
30th July 2011, 06:59 PM
Kites are a strange animal, halfway between a standard and a pear flight
They give the stability of the standard and the speed of the pear, best of both worlds.

Just ordered a set :smileb:

dannyd180
19th August 2011, 02:10 PM
I was browsing an internet auction site yesterday and there was a guy selling his Black Phase 5 24g. I had a look because I was intrigued and he claimed to have had them professionally drilled out to weigh 24g. He also posted a picture of his Rossos which he had drilled out to 23g.

Not familiar with this concept, however, I presume that it must involve boring into the dart to remove excess metal and reduce the weight.

Seemed pretty genuine, but wouldn't know where to start with finding someone to do it!

Steve Metalman
19th August 2011, 03:45 PM
I suppose they could be bored out from the threaded end, but I would question how it affects the balance of the dart.

Giraffe is a machinist and may be able to advise better as he's up to date with current lathework,
My lathe work experience is 20 years out of date, but some principles remain the same

I'd give them a wide berth.
Plus I'd think twice about messing with 40 plus darts and paying extra for the privilege of making a huge mistake/ gamble

Giraffe
19th August 2011, 04:15 PM
Drilling a hole to reduce the weight would be quite easy, but the balance of the dart would be affected, you could also take out the point and with a small drill drill from the front, and then drill from the stem end.

Steve Metalman
19th August 2011, 05:01 PM
Drilling a hole to reduce the weight would be quite easy, but the balance of the dart would be affected, you could also take out the point and with a small drill drill from the front, and then drill from the stem end.

Easy to do, hard to get right.

Also if you drill from the point end, repointing may prove problematic, with the point drifting into the barrel if the hole isn't an interference fit

keithlemon
28th January 2012, 04:34 PM
Back to the kite on the John lowes, I have never used kites, always pear, maybe I will give it a try.

Steve Metalman
28th January 2012, 05:04 PM
Back to the kite on the John lowes, I have never used kites, always pear, maybe I will give it a try.
What stems are you using Keith?
The Kites work well with mediums, be it the titaniums that come with the lowes, or nylons such as I use

I might as well recycle this piccy of my darts
The lowes and my set up are on the left
Ignore the set up on the Apollos, I'm using the med stems and kites on those too

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j322/Steve-Metalman/Dartsforum%20reviews/Metalmans24gTargetsilicas-1.jpg
Lowe Heros & Precision Silica Apollos

keithlemon
28th January 2012, 05:51 PM
I use medium nylons. I was thinking of trying out short stems. But never got round to buying some. Will post a picture of my darts later, if I can figure out how to do it!!

Steve Metalman
28th January 2012, 06:03 PM
Here you go Keith

Click here...Guide to Image posting (http://www.thedartsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?2548-Image-posting-guide-Photobucket)

keithlemon
28th January 2012, 08:11 PM
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg490/keithlemon180/My%20darts/photo.jpg?t=1327774904
Hope this worked....

keithlemon
28th January 2012, 08:12 PM
Nope!!!

Hazza
28th January 2012, 09:17 PM
You had two http:// in the link, fixed