PDA

View Full Version : Radio & TV dongle - just want to clear something up

Thunder
19th December 2010, 11:48 AM
I just wanted to clear something up as the other thread - Live Darts - was closed, don't worry i'm not asking for links to streaming sites. I just want to answer some of the posters replies.

The radio & tv dongle isn't illegal it shows tv from around the world but only channels which are free to view in that particular country so you wouldn't be able to watch Sky Sports because that is a subscription channel. For example if the PDC finals were being shown in say Germany on a a free channel you would be able to watch it. Similarly if someone bought a dongle in another country they would be able to watch the BDO finals live on the BBC because that is a free channel. Another example is Norway. On their free to air channels they show a lot of live premiership football so you would be able to watch that for free as would someone in another country, they could watch live football on the BBC & itv channels. It's like a big satellite dish in your back garden but it's a dongle for laptops & pc's. They are sold in shops, online & on bid & price drop tv.

lovejoy
19th December 2010, 12:12 PM
Not so sure tbh mate, last time I checked the BBC wasn't free, hence the license fee. If you are watching it without paying that fee, it cannot be legal surely?

Thunder
19th December 2010, 12:20 PM
It doesn't apply to other countries, i read on a review that you can watch the BBC. On bid, price drop & speed auction tv i think they are the no1 seller. If you go on their websites and type in prolectrix it will give you a product description. There is one on bid tv today scheduled to close at 23.16 & on price drop at 19.55.

Hazza
19th December 2010, 01:40 PM
Yep I saw one of these in Tesco's yesterday. I think the main factor with some of it is that you are seeing the same footage as Sky would pump out but your not actually watching sky sports as it were. Does that make sense, basically a station you could watch here, and would have to pay for either through a license or subscription, pumps its footage out to another country under a different branding and thats what you watch. I used to go an watch live premier league football matches on a saturday in a local pub, now you cant get that even on sky sports but they must record it to play it on football first in the evening. What I was watching was the same as what was going to be on in the evening but it was being broadcast live somewhere in the back of beyond and the pub were getting it on one of those free to air satellite dishes, its the same with the dongle potentially.

Steve Metalman
19th December 2010, 01:47 PM
Hi Thunder.
Its whats called C.Y.A ( Covering Your Ass)
At best its a grey area and seeing the forum hasn't got a media lawyer we can't take chances.
TV is based on regional licences for different countries.
I can't remember the details but one of the big US shows ( It might have been '24',)
left the BBC because the UK signal was received in Ireland Holland and France, and one of those countries complained as they had paid big money there to show it, and everybody was watching it for free on the BBC instead of the local pay to view channels.

That puts us in a difficult position as we are pretty sure as what you are asking for isn't legal.

RWA
19th December 2010, 02:45 PM
You can watch pre-recorded BBC stuff online via the iplayer without a licence, it's only live broadcasts you cant.

lovejoy
19th December 2010, 02:59 PM
It's live broadcasts we are talking about though, right?

Steve Metalman
19th December 2010, 03:00 PM
You can watch pre-recorded BBC stuff online via the iplayer without a licence, it's only live broadcasts you cant.

BBC iplayer T&C.
3.2 How you may NOT use BBC iPlayer

3.2.1 If you are outside of the UK

You may not watch or download BBC Content using BBC iPlayer if you are outside of the UK, although you may listen to some (but not all) BBC radio content if you are outside of the UK. The types of BBC radio content that may be available outside of the UK will depend on the BBC's agreements with the persons who own rights in such content.

3.2.2 If you do not have a valid television licence

You may not watch television programmes using BBC iPlayer on any device (including mobile phones, laptops and personal computers) at the same time (or virtually the same time) as the programmes are being broadcast, simulcast or otherwise made available to members of the public on television unless you have a valid television licence. For more information on this requirement please see Do I need a TV licence to watch programmes on BBC iPlayer? or you can contact TV Licensing by calling 0870 241 5590 or by visiting www.tvlicensing.co.uk/.

Catch-up

You do not need a television licence to catch-up on television programmes in BBC iPlayer, only when you watch or record at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is being broadcast or otherwise distributed to the public. In BBC iPlayer, this is through the Watch Live simulcast option.

Anyone in the UK watching or recording television as it's being broadcast or simulcast on any device - including mobiles, laptops and PCs - must, by law, be covered by a valid TV licence.

A 'live' TV programme is a programme, which is watched or recorded at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is being broadcast or otherwise distributed to members of the public. As a general rule, if a person is watching a programme on a computer or other device at the same time as it is being shown on TV then the programme is 'live'. This is sometimes known as simulcasting.

The majority of UK households will already be covered by an existing television licence for their main TV set.

What will happen if I don't have a TV licence?

It is a criminal offence to watch 'live' television without a TV licence or to posses or control a device which you know or reasonably believe will be used to watch 'live' TV without a TV licence. You could be prosecuted and fined up to 1000 (plus be ordered to pay legal costs) for these offences.

More details can be found here
Click me-iplayer Terms and conditions (http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/information/terms_conditions)

Brett
19th December 2010, 03:12 PM
Yes the whole you can watch tv on the internet without a license is a myth . If you are watching anything from UK TV anywhere without a license you are breaking the law.

I closed the thread because it was basically talking about ways to watch the darts and ended with a ask for a link to a streaming site. Like I said on the notice I put, If you are trying to watch darts on anything other than the TV channel (unless stated like with the BDO last week) chances are your breaking the law.

Also I think youl find watching things from a foreign TV channel so you dont have to pay for it here is illegal. Hence why pubs can get fined for having satellite dishes that show Saturday 3pm kick offs (and in a round about way why steaming links are illegal because they are the modern way of doing it). The dishes you speak of are not designed to let you watch sports they are for foreign nationals to watch tv from their country.

RWA
19th December 2010, 03:55 PM
Steve read the Catch Up bit of the iplayer T&Cs. I was referring as stated to broadcasts that have been recorded, e.g. live but have been recorded and placed on iplayer for you to watch after the event has taken place. Hence you don't need a TV licence.

Yes if you don't live in the UK then you cannot watch the broadcasts, you'll be prevented from watching anyway as the iplayer will detect where your IP address is from.

Brett yes the myth of not needing a licence was dispelled a few years ago when the loophole was closed to embrace the digital age.

Bottom line is, you don't need a TV licence to watch BBC content, provided you are watching it from the UK, if they have placed it on iplayer for you to watch after the event. A warning message comes up on a live feed telling you, you need a TV licence to watch a live broadcast.

Steve Metalman
19th December 2010, 04:13 PM
Hi RWA.
I did read it, thats why I posted the iplayer T&C to clarify things a little better,
But the fact remains that dartscorner and dartsforum are not in a position to allow posting of streams and links under the T&C of the forum, and the recommendation of anything else that maybe illegal or in a grey area.

Click me-General forum policy (http://www.thedartsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?6-General-Forum-Policy)

Hazza
19th December 2010, 04:37 PM
How about if a foreign channel is showing the football, can only people from that country watch it then, I don't think so. Might be best to close this thread down as no-one really knows the full correct answer as its all a bit contradictory.

You definitely need a license to watch tv no matter what it is (if its live).

Steve Metalman
19th December 2010, 04:43 PM
:deadhorse:

Brett
19th December 2010, 05:07 PM
How about if a foreign channel is showing the football, can only people from that country watch it then, I don't think so. Might be best to close this thread down as no-one really knows the full correct answer as its all a bit contradictory.

You definitely need a license to watch tv no matter what it is (if its live).

That is correct. For you to watch that football you need a licence to watch TV from that country, which you carnt get because your not watching it in that country, hence making it illegal.

But as Steve has closed it the matters closed on here, There are plenty of websites that argue about it. www.digitalspy.co.uk is the one I use regularly for issues with sky and will help you out on any other matters that relate to watching anything