PDA

View Full Version : Color of flights help or hurt, preference?

RNLarry
19th December 2010, 04:35 PM
I use target flights of various colors and combos. Some are quite bright. I have friends who only use black cuz they say on the black part of board it doesn't distract. I though like to use my first dart as a marker sometimes especially if its in the treble or on the wire on a double. How about you? Any preference and why?:biggrinodf: and should a person stick with one color and why?

F4tboy
19th December 2010, 04:44 PM
I use target flights of various colors and combos. Some are quite bright. I have friends who only use black cuz they say on the black part of board it doesn't distract. I though like to use my first dart as a marker sometimes especially if its in the treble or on the wire on a double. How about you? Any preference and why?:biggrinodf: and should a person stick with one color and why?

:confused2: What about if they land in a white section of the board?

I dont really follow that logic Larry.

Personally I use the Harrows 3d dimplex silver shiny flights because they look nice (I am such a tart :redfaceodf:).

I have recently thought about using the Harrows FAT flights to match my phase 5 stem colour, again because I think it will look good.

I never really the notice the flight once the dart is in the board because I aim for a mark on the board not the previous dart.

BanannaMan
19th December 2010, 04:51 PM
any flight colour destracting your throw must be ditched if your eye is being drawn to flight other than target you aiming for.....simples.....

Steve Metalman
19th December 2010, 05:06 PM
Usually when I settle on a flight I tend to stick with that type and colour.
I expect you'll get as many answers as there is flights, (theres so many different ones).

My first consideration is a flight that works for that particular dart I'm using on any given day.
Next, I like a bit of white in the design so I can find the flight quickly if it pops off.
Not a problem in the pub, but at home if the flight disappears down the back of the sofa for me a dark flight is difficult to find. (Even with my keen feline eyes lol)

Shed Inn
19th December 2010, 05:21 PM
Ayup Comrades

I use black pear poly's on black stems, no distractions when in the board!

Shed.

Hazza
19th December 2010, 05:24 PM
Solid colours or stripes, no designs usually, not black

RNLarry
19th December 2010, 06:37 PM
Well Andersen has been quote as saying he will look at the flight and put his next dart on top of it soooo thats my logic

Bigshow
19th December 2010, 06:42 PM
Personally i don`t mind what colour the flight is, i never pay attention to the colour. When i buy flights, i simply buy a design i find quirky. I suppose its an issue of how you focus.

danny2572
19th December 2010, 06:46 PM
The colour of the flight has never bothered me. It takes all of my concentration just to throw the dart straight! : P

Steve Metalman
19th December 2010, 06:51 PM
Something occurred to me after having a re-read of Larrys first post in this thread, regarding using the same flight design all the time

I've seen players who aim from the flight.
They will line up the target off a spot or line or bit of text or some marking on the actual flight design.
One pro I can think of who does this is Steve Bunting, if you ever get the chance to watch him on TV or at a match, he has a very distinct style of lining up the flight.

Another reason for sticking to a design is personalised flights

the lamb
19th December 2010, 08:22 PM
<<<<<< I designed my own, theres black and white.

I perfer to see the darts in the board i don't find them distracting.

Buzz180
19th December 2010, 08:53 PM
These are what I use ;)

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/buzz180buzz/DSCN2297.jpg

Giraffe
19th December 2010, 09:13 PM
I use these
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww55/ger180/harrowsdimplex4023.gif

dartnut
20th December 2010, 09:09 AM
i have used colourful flights as well as metallic; i don't use them anymore for they distract me; i have almost black flights now which do not reflect the light...

TNT
20th December 2010, 12:18 PM
Giraffe - do you throw the dart with the middle flight in first? Or last :)

mattav1
20th December 2010, 12:36 PM
I use these
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww55/ger180/harrowsdimplex4023.gif

Did you always have the Giraffe nickname or did you come up with it after seeing these flights? I bet your the only person who buys these of DC :biggrinodf:

mattav1
20th December 2010, 12:37 PM

Hi Larry, I don't really take any notice of the colour of the flights to me if you're thinking about this then your thinking too much, I would agree with what the Metalman says though about sticking to the same set that way your not thinking about the new set and won;t notice them as much when throwing.

The object being don't think! :biggrinodf:

Toli
20th December 2010, 03:42 PM
There are some hi-vis orange flights on DC, they were so distracting I gave them away!

clwyd_darts13
21st December 2010, 10:25 PM
I like dart flights with a nice pattern or design on them. As im a massive Philadelphia Eagles fan i use flights with an eagle on. I find the dark colour doesn't distract my eye on the way past. I notice white, yellow and orange passing my eye for some reason. I did read somewhere that red was the best, can't remember where. I don't have much trouble once that dart lands as its lands pretty flat with the board. Also it never fails to baffle me with players who throw with multi coloured stems and flight of which nothing matches????

Giraffe
21st December 2010, 10:35 PM
Did you always have the Giraffe nickname or did you come up with it after seeing these flights? I bet your the only person who buys these of DC :biggrinodf:

I was given the Giraffe nickname years ago when I played my first ever county match, I was introduced up onto the stage as giraffe roberts instead of my proper name of gerallt ( welsh for gerald).
The flights came later. I have wondered if anyone else uses them aswell.

Steve Metalman
21st December 2010, 11:57 PM
I like dart flights with a nice pattern or design on them. As im a massive Philadelphia Eagles fan i use flights with an eagle on. I find the dark colour doesn't distract my eye on the way past. I notice white, yellow and orange passing my eye for some reason. I did read somewhere that red was the best, can't remember where. I don't have much trouble once that dart lands as its lands pretty flat with the board. Also it never fails to baffle me with players who throw with multi coloured stems and flight of which nothing matches????

I heard it was blue for some reason, but I can't remember why either.
I do know that the red at speed is colourless to the eye!!

RNLarry
22nd December 2010, 02:54 PM
Hi Larry, I don't really take any notice of the colour of the flights to me if you're thinking about this then your thinking too much, I would agree with what the Metalman says though about sticking to the same set that way your not thinking about the new set and won;t notice them as much when throwing.

The object being don't think! :biggrinodf:

Matt Damn good advice, thanks