PDA

View Full Version : BBC and Darts

Nato
19th December 2010, 06:08 PM
I recntly saw an article on the BBC boards linking to an article going back to the summer that disccusses the rumour that the BBC are ready to drop BDO darts on the BBC and show PDC events.

http://www.pdc-darts.co.uk/?p=2182

This had me thinking about how true this rumour might actually be. SOme may say it is never going to be true, others may think its possible. But the more that the PDC World Champs goes on, the more i think it might actually be going to happen. There have been several articles written on the BBC website in the last week, and for the first time in years the BBC is taking a proper intrest in the World Champs. Are they trying to get the BBC and general public familiar with the names in the PDC??

What are your thoughts on this??

Brett
19th December 2010, 06:14 PM
Ive heard the rumour for the last year or two from websites that the BBC are not going to be renewing the BDOs contract when it ends (and some are saying they could drop it before that as I think they have the contract up to 2013)

As for PDC events on the BBC, I carnt see it. Unless he has started negotiating whist sorting out snooker deals because it was only last year he said that the BBC wernt interested in the PDC when it was starting up so hes not interested in the BBC now. Besides it would basically cut his ties with ITV.

The only tournament I can see them coveraging is the European championship that was on Bravo, which is basically the lowest of the majors?

Wile-E-OneEighty
19th December 2010, 06:27 PM
I recntly saw an article on the BBC boards linking to an article going back to the summer that disccusses the rumour that the BBC are ready to drop BDO darts on the BBC and show PDC events.

http://www.pdc-darts.co.uk/?p=2182

This had me thinking about how true this rumour might actually be. SOme may say it is never going to be true, others may think its possible. But the more that the PDC World Champs goes on, the more i think it might actually be going to happen. There have been several articles written on the BBC website in the last week, and for the first time in years the BBC is taking a proper intrest in the World Champs. Are they trying to get the BBC and general public familiar with the names in the PDC??

What are your thoughts on this??

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

The BBC's coverage of the BDO tournaments is so half arsed, well it's not even half-arsed. I think this year the BBC had quite a few complaints on one of the interactive 301 bloopers when Fitzmaurice told a borderline racist joke in between two of the games, and his mic was still turned on and broadcasting to the world

Not to mention when he introduced the best bit of the world's, the raffle :)

I believe the BBC contract expires in 2013 but like Brett was saying on the Adams interview thread, I really do wonder if something is going on behind the scenes. Adams openly said "some of the political issues have been sorted out this year" I think Hearn has got a foot in through the door of the beeb when he took on the reigns of the snooker.

The PDC have manoeuvred themselves as such so potentially the 4 BDO World's semi finalists one year won't even be competing in the tournament the following year, meaning over time IMO it would turn the tournament into a bit of a farce

Brett
19th December 2010, 06:36 PM
TBh there is only one thing stopping the harmony of darts returning for the first time in 19 years........ Lakeside

When the BDO rejected the PDC takeover it was because they didnt want to see the end of the BDO not because they didnt want the PDC taking over, I think they are realise that the PDC is offering a completely different, professional darts experience nowadays. But now because of what the PDC has done there is no need for a merger. The BDO can carry on doing what they do because they dont offer the same thing as the the PDC, the only issue is Lakeside. the BDO dont want to lose their "proffesional darts championship".

I think 2011 could be a very exciting year for darts, maybe the end of the split is nigh

Steve Metalman
19th December 2010, 06:39 PM
I've noticed that BBC Teletext are showing the results and match schedule ( up to Thursday) from the Worlds and a little bit of a match write up.
EG Colin Lloyds apologies and a bit about Whitlock getting into the second round etc
A paragraph or two about each match.

I don't know what to read into that, but it's more than they used to do, even on their own stuff

Brett
19th December 2010, 06:49 PM
Tonight will be a big night for the BBC and PDC if Taylor does well

If he comes in the top 3 in the Sports personality of the year tonight then the BBC will have to take note and maybe the bbcs marketing department may say "look how many votes he got, we need him on our TV"

Wooly Bully
19th December 2010, 06:57 PM
I said it before on the old forum, I'd like to see more darts full stop on the beeb and if it's PDC, then better still.

Hearn would be shooting himself in the foot by ignorning the beeb. If a PDC event were on BBC2 it'd get viewing figures higher than anything on Sky or ITV4.

Interesting year ahead. So much change in 2011 with the tour card etc.

Brett
19th December 2010, 07:18 PM
Barry Hearn never ignored the Beeb. He went to the BBC in the 90s to make a offer and the BBC turned it down saying they didnt see the PDC being worth the money, so Barry never went back to them

Wile-E-OneEighty
19th December 2010, 08:06 PM
LOL at the SPOTY

Taylor gets introduced and as he walks to the stage the camera shows Martin Adams in the audience grudgingly clapping along with a miserable expression on his face

William Tell
20th December 2010, 10:10 AM
I've noticed that BBC Teletext are showing the results and match schedule ( up to Thursday) from the Worlds and a little bit of a match write up.
EG Colin Lloyds apologies and a bit about Whitlock getting into the second round etc
A paragraph or two about each match.

I don't know what to read into that, but it's more than they used to do, even on their own stuff

BBC Text have been reporting on PDC/Darts on Sky since the split. They've never ignored it.

Barry Hearn never ignored the Beeb. He went to the BBC in the 90s to make a offer and the BBC turned it down saying they didnt see the PDC being worth the money, so Barry never went back to them

What sport was that for? Hearn wasn't involved with darts during the 1990's.

Nato
20th December 2010, 12:21 PM
BBC Text have been reporting on PDC/Darts on Sky since the split. They've never ignored it.

The bbc has never reported on the PDC as readily as they currently are, in the past few weeks theres been articles on Andy Jenkins, Kevin Painter, Taylor, and more Taylor, lloyd from the other night would never have had more than a couple of lines but got an article. There is a daily write up on the days proceding which i cant really remember seeing. Something has changed.

Wooly Bully
20th December 2010, 02:34 PM

that was my point. If he's holding a grudge over something like that, then he's cutting his nose off to spite his face. Sometimes in life you need to bow to the bigger organisation for the greater good. The BBC hold the cards here and if Hearn wants to take darts to the masses then he needs to somehow break terrestrial. Terrestrial mainstream as well; and by that I mean BBC2 not ITV4.

Plus, I'm sure the Beeb will acknowledge that the PDC may now be worth the money. Remember it's public money and to have gambled in the 90's or early 00's may not have gone down well with the license fee payer. But as we know, times change.....

William Tell
20th December 2010, 06:21 PM
The bbc has never reported on the PDC as readily as they currently are, in the past few weeks theres been articles on Andy Jenkins, Kevin Painter, Taylor, and more Taylor, lloyd from the other night would never have had more than a couple of lines but got an article. There is a daily write up on the days proceding which i cant really remember seeing. Something has changed.

Are you talking about the bbc website or the old school teletext service? I'm talking about the latter.

Brett
20th December 2010, 06:32 PM
What sport was that for? Hearn wasn't involved with darts during the 1990's.

darts but I meant the PDC not Hearn. The PDC made a offer to the BBC

Brett
20th December 2010, 06:34 PM

Agreed there was a massive new story this morning about John Part going out http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/darts/9303350.stm

The BBC are taking notice of the PDC. Doesnt mean they will start showing a tournament but may mean the sport gets more recognition.

phil the great
21st December 2010, 12:57 AM
It's a very very interesting situation though, would be awesome if ONE major got on bbc, not sure it will happen but its intruiging that perhaps the politics are being sorted out, I hope there is a merger with a world amateur on the BDO side and world pro PDC side, the masters could be a national english amateur tourney, I'd love to see that route from pub to full serious amateur to full pro!

Steve Metalman
21st December 2010, 01:18 AM

Thanks nato.
Freeview teletext was what I was on about, this has been the first time they have gone into detail.
A write up on every match, results and schedule.
It never happened like this before, all you got previously was a few paragraphs at the end of the tournement.
But that usually got bumped off by cycling or hockey or something

TROUBLEAGAIN
21st December 2010, 01:48 AM
Wouldnt surprise me if the Beeb take the plunge maybe the Slam ..

Wile-E-OneEighty
21st December 2010, 09:12 AM
On BBC Radio Solent this morning they even had an entire report on last night's results and played the recording of James Wade's interview.

Uncle Barry has or is negotiating something behind the scene methinks

Nickopottamus
21st December 2010, 04:42 PM
to be honest , i think it will be a very sad day to see the BDO coverage die , after watching all of the PDC coverage this year , and particularly in reference to the world champs , the games have been flat .. theres absolutely no flair for new talent .

The most exciting games i have watched , a part from a couple , have been from new names , like Mark Hylton .... the BDO always has this nice freshness , where noone gets gubbed and games are tight. The games in the world champ draw are very predictable.

PDC is almost becoming a bit like wrestling where it feels so orchestrated that the big names get an easier time through the first round.

Just an opinion.

clwyd_darts13
21st December 2010, 09:20 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if the BBc dropped darts. They have over the years made us cough up more and more for the license and given less back.
If there were to get PDC it would be lesser events as the money that the PDC gets now for the biggies couldn't be had from the BBC. that said it would still be darts on TV

Wile-E-OneEighty
4th January 2011, 05:52 PM
Anyone else see the interview Adrian Lewis did for BBC News 24?

I only caught the last part of it.

I have never seen the beeb give this much coverage to the PDC World's by a long way, they seem to be far more interested in the PDC World's than the BDO World's this year even if they don't have the broadcasting rights

Steve Metalman
4th January 2011, 06:44 PM
Even the BBC lady asked him about 'he I wont mention'
Adrian gave a very gracious answer. and a plug in for the PL in Feb
Can't say fairer than that

borrissey
4th January 2011, 08:09 PM
The commentators on the PDC seemed to mention the BDO darts a lot more this year in commentary during matches. More than I can remember them mentioning it over the previous years.

I think some things brewing behind the scenes would be great to see PDC darts on BBC2 maybe a new tournament held at the O2 that would be awesome. I can't see the BBC showing BDO and PDC darts though, would clash a bit unless they sort of merged. They could both have the circuits tournaments, both have there World Championships. Then they could have something like the Semi finalists from the BDO and PDC World Championships play each other at the O2. In a semi final and Final format over one or two nights. Could be aired on BBC 2.

Steve Metalman
4th January 2011, 08:20 PM
Definitely feels like somethings in the air!!

james85
4th January 2011, 11:05 PM
Anyone else see the interview Adrian Lewis did for BBC News 24?

I only caught the last part of it.

I have never seen the beeb give this much coverage to the PDC World's by a long way, they seem to be far more interested in the PDC World's than the BDO World's this year even if they don't have the broadcasting rights

Agree wholeheartedly, the BBC are clearly more comfortable with the PDC by the day, since Taylor's SPOTY award it's been constant.

borrissey
4th January 2011, 11:17 PM
The PDC is on the up and up, they've moved with the times and taking darts to the masses and made it popular. Where as the BDO just stands still and is really stuck in it's ways old fashioned.

BBC have seen that Darts is now much more popular than snooker is.

TheDiamond
4th January 2011, 11:44 PM
All very well the BBC showing 'interest' in the PDC. I doubt Sky would want to let the darts go that easily. A lot of money comes in from Sky (as with other sports) that terrestrial TV doesn't bring in. I doubt the BBC could offer a huge contract, especially with austerity measures in place.

There could be something in it though. David Croft has mentioned the PDC World Champs NUMEROUS times during commentary at the Lakeside this year, including today where he congratulated 'Aidey' Lewis on his win, even going as far as to say "he's the first World Champion not to have won the BDO version first".
The BBC may well not want to renew its contract with the BDO. This is no 'anti-BDO' stuff, but last years', and this years' tournaments in particular have not been played at a particularly high standard. Top BDO names like O'Shea, Hankey and Fitton have put in pretty woeful performances this year - not exactly a great advert for the BBCs flagship darts tournament.
And judging from what many casual fans (which make up majority viewership of most sports) say, they regard the BDO tournament as a bit of a joke.

It will be interesting to see if anything does transpire.

borrissey
4th January 2011, 11:54 PM
What PDC darts will they have though if they do? Any ideas?

Emotional_darts_fan
4th January 2011, 11:56 PM
I pay a TV license like others and the BBC historic treatment of PDC has made me very unhappy indeed!

Gingert76
4th January 2011, 11:59 PM
What about the BBC getting the PDC U21 league???

borrissey
5th January 2011, 12:05 AM
BBC seem to put in less and less money every year into the coverage of the BDO World Championship. There not even broadcasting it in HD.

U21 league isn't a very good one to have, they'd want to have the likes of Taylor, Lewis, Wade etc etc.

Gingert76
5th January 2011, 12:08 AM
I think the U21 could be really good and with bravo being shut down the tourney on there is up for grabs and if the BBC had a new pdc tourney with the likes of the top 16 PDC I think they could afford all 3! Don't think they could afford to have or sky would let them have one of the premier tourneys! Look at most of the crap they show now and you have BBC hd, BBC 3, BBC 4 etc etc

rhern
5th January 2011, 12:15 AM
I would be happy to see the bbc have a highlights package of all the pdc events :)

borrissey
5th January 2011, 12:18 AM
I would be happy to see the bbc have a highlights package of all the pdc events :)

They like having highlights, could see them drop the BDO and have highlights of the PDC World Championships. PDC would make more money then from selling rights to PDC live to Sky and then highlights to BBC.

james85
5th January 2011, 12:19 AM
I'm not sure the BBC would have the funds to compete with Sky if the both wanted an event, and Sky have done so much for the PDC over the years I think they should retain the majority of events. When you compare Sky and BBC in their darts coverage, the gap is shockingly wide in every aspect.

TheDiamond
5th January 2011, 12:20 AM
They like having highlights, could see them drop the BDO and have highlights of the PDC World Championships. PDC would make more money then from selling rights to PDC live to Sky and then highlights to BBC.

It's not up to the PDC... Sky own the broadcast rights, so it's up to them to sell rights to the BBC.

borrissey
5th January 2011, 12:22 AM
It's not up to the PDC... Sky own the broadcast rights, so it's up to them to sell rights to the BBC.

What about when that current deal runs out then the PDC could sell live rights and highlights packages.

Nato
6th January 2011, 09:43 PM
The problem with BBC 3 and 4 is that nothing can be shown before 7.30 (i think) due to the pesky kids in this land. If i understand correctly a BBC kids channel use the band with that BBC3 and 4 use and it switches over at 7.30

RWA
6th January 2011, 10:35 PM
The problem with BBC 3 and 4 is that nothing can be shown before 7.30 (i think) due to the pesky kids in this land. If i understand correctly a BBC kids channel use the band with that BBC3 and 4 use and it switches over at 7.30

On freeview nothing is broadcast on BBC 3 or 4 from closedown until 7pm.

Hawkeye
7th January 2011, 12:58 AM
On freeview nothing is broadcast on BBC 3 or 4 from closedown until 7pm.

It is but the channel is moved to 70/71 during the day. Over the 24 hours BBC3 shares bandwidth with CBBC and BBC4 shares with Cbeebies.

Hawkeye
7th January 2011, 12:59 AM
I pay a TV license like others and the BBC historic treatment of PDC has made me very unhappy indeed!

Why? They don't have the right to show any so what do you want them to do?

BDOBOY
7th January 2011, 01:51 PM

You pay that for them to provide a service that the commerical sector can't provide for. pleanty of PDC darts on ITV/Sky.

I'd be unhappy for them to waste money on programming that can be seen elswhere by trying to be populist

Steve Metalman
7th January 2011, 04:20 PM
You pay that for them to provide a service that the commerical sector can't provide for. pleanty of PDC darts on ITV/Sky.

I'd be unhappy for them to waste money on programming that can be seen elswhere by trying to be populist

Fair point, but I'd always thought the BBC was the home of darts but sadly it looks as if thats no longer the case.

In the 'old' days ha ha darts used to be on ITV's World of sport with Dickie Davies but I can't remember who had the original worlds at the Circus Tavern ( When the audience had sideburns and brown suits)

james85
9th January 2011, 11:11 PM
Just be annoying, Sky are reporting on the BDO...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12288_6648003,00.html

TROUBLEAGAIN
9th January 2011, 11:15 PM
Just be annoying, Sky are reporting on the BDO...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12288_6648003,00.html

The beeb website did a sterling job on the PDC event.

discodavetherave
11th January 2011, 08:03 PM
Don't know if there is anything in it but there are a couple of openings in the PDC calender for them
The European Championships was on Bravo last year but that channel has disappeared so this would be the obvious choice if they were to broadcast a PDC event
The Players Championship Finals and also the GSOD were with ITV but there is nothing on their website to say that they will be broadcasting this years events, a long shot the Beeb showing both but you never know..................................

Steve Metalman
11th January 2011, 08:12 PM
The BBC won't show the Grand Slam as it goes on all day and all night.

They won't clear all the day schedule as well as the evening, god forbid people would give up east enders or Mastermind

Wile-E-OneEighty
11th January 2011, 08:16 PM
Don't know if there is anything in it but there are a couple of openings in the PDC calender for them
The European Championships was on Bravo last year but that channel has disappeared so this would be the obvious choice if they were to broadcast a PDC event
The Players Championship Finals and also the GSOD were with ITV but there is nothing on their website to say that they will be broadcasting this years events, a long shot the Beeb showing both but you never know..................................

That's a good spot actually.

It's on the PDC calendar for the end of July so who is going to broadcast will be interesting. That said did anyone actually broadcast it in 2009 after ITV dropped it?

Let's hope they get it on terrestrial TV or at the very least a freeview channel

Hawkeye
11th January 2011, 09:08 PM
The BBC won't show the Grand Slam as it goes on all day and all night.

They won't clear all the day schedule as well as the evening, god forbid people would give up east enders or Mastermind

Red Button and internet, Steve.

TROUBLEAGAIN
11th January 2011, 09:19 PM

Maybe thats the next announcement??-

Wile-E-OneEighty
11th January 2011, 09:20 PM
Red Button and internet, Steve.

There was a recent darts tournament that did that I seem to remember :biggrinodf:

Brett
11th January 2011, 10:16 PM
That's a good spot actually.

It's on the PDC calendar for the end of July so who is going to broadcast will be interesting. That said did anyone actually broadcast it in 2009 after ITV dropped it?

Let's hope they get it on terrestrial TV or at the very least a freeview channel

It wasnt on TV one year

I did say a while back that the only tournament the bbc could take on would be the european championships but I carnt see it if the PDC renew their contract with ITV

Wile-E-OneEighty
11th January 2011, 10:27 PM
It wasnt on TV one year

I did say a while back that the only tournament the bbc could take on would be the european championships but I carnt see it if the PDC renew their contract with ITV

ITV broadcast it the first year, then from what I remember the following year ITV said to Hearn they didn't want it at the last minute and it ended up not getting broadcast at all by anyone. Then Bravo took it last year but they've now ceased to broadcast.

If the GSOD ratings are as impressive as what was indicate maybe ITV will reconsider.

hang the dj
11th January 2011, 10:48 PM
ITV broadcast it the first year, then from what I remember the following year ITV said to Hearn they didn't want it at the last minute and it ended up not getting broadcast at all by anyone. Then Bravo took it last year but they've now ceased to broadcast.

If the GSOD ratings are as impressive as what was indicate maybe ITV will reconsider.
Don't think we'll see any darts on ITV - GSOD is moving to Sky, BBC rumoured to be announcing an event possibly Euro's, still nothing on Players Champs

Brett
11th January 2011, 10:49 PM

I imagine it will be part of the new contract if/when it gets sorted.

BDOBOY
12th January 2011, 05:56 PM
I can't see Croft wanting the BBC to show PDC darts

AND I can't see the BBC wanting to loose the World Championship they would not risk loosing Lakeside UNLESS they were given the PDC WCs for the same price they pay the BDO for theirs and I can't see Sky taking kindly to that.

The BBC only show 2 darts events a year they Will not show a micky mouse (not even British darts tourny) they would only be intrested in the Worlds

Hawkeye
12th January 2011, 09:49 PM
I can't see Croft wanting the BBC to show PDC darts

AND I can't see the BBC wanting to loose the World Championship they would not risk loosing Lakeside UNLESS they were given the PDC WCs for the same price they pay the BDO for theirs and I can't see Sky taking kindly to that.

The BBC only show 2 darts events a year they Will not show a micky mouse (not even British darts tourny) they would only be intrested in the Worlds

It's not up to Croft what the BBC show. And he's not really in a position to moan about it. If the BBC don't show Lakeside, who will?

I've said it before but the BDO need the BBC. The BBC don't need the BDO.

BDOBOY
13th January 2011, 06:01 PM
It's not up to Croft what the BBC show. And he's not really in a position to moan about it. If the BBC don't show Lakeside, who will?

I've said it before but the BDO need the BBC. The BBC don't need the BDO.

my point is if Croft is as stuborn as they say and the BBC show the European (Not even British:rolleyesodf:) championship and then as result loose the World Championship that would look like they have a less important tourny as their darts showcase. I can't see them wanting to do that

Hawkeye
13th January 2011, 10:01 PM
How are they going to lose the world championship? Are you suggesting that Croft will not let them show it because of showing the other? Never going to happen.

Nato
13th January 2011, 10:26 PM
The thing with the European Championship is that it might not appear on TV in the UK. It could just end up on the PDC TV channel and the German and Dutch partnering broacasters. Theyve both obviously got some money to get into the world of PDC. Both TV stations have also got a "major" tournament in the pipeline for the summer of this year.