PDA

View Full Version : 2012 MLD North American Championships

fotoman
10th September 2011, 08:49 PM
Major League Darts (MLD) will be hosting the 2012 MLD North American Championships. This event will contain both an Open and Ladies Championships, designed to test the abilities of the best players in North America; exact dates and location to be determined. Looking at the beginning of December 2012.

The North American Championships will be a 2 day steel tip dart tournament for both men and women. Qualifications into the Championships will be based on performances in MLD 1-day Local tournaments held between 15 Sep 2011 and 14 Sep 2012 in each players designated MLD region.

There will be 13 regions in North America to help facilitate local events, regional competitions, and information exchange. Regions have been configured to match natural divisions within North America. Regional borders will mainly be on state or provincial borders. A player's individual region will also include any states or provinces which touch the state or province the player lives in.
http://mlddarts.com/sites/mlddarts.com/files/new_regions_2.png
Example 1: A player's region living in Missouri will include anything in the gray #3 region AND Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.

Each region will have a Regional Coordinator acting as the main point of contact for that region regarding scheduling of 1-day Locals and as a liaison back to the MLD main office.

Qualification for the MLD North American Championships will be based on a player's top 3 performances in qualified MLD 1-day Local tournaments.

Top 2 point earners in each region based on their best 3 performances will earn a FREE entry.
The next 6 highest point earners across all regions will also earn FREE entries as “wild cards”.
The #3-5 finishers in each region will earn a discounted entry fee.
The remaining places will be full price and filled by any participant of an MLD local.

MLD locals are 1 day long format singles tournaments that can be held at any venue with 3-10+ boards. MLD provides the software to run these events. Players play a minimum of 18-24 legs of 501 on the day. To host a 1-day MLD Local tournament, contact your Regional Coordinator for more information or the main office.

MLD encourages the hosting of Ladies Only 1-day Local events. A separate rankings list will be kept for the Ladies Only events. Should a woman qualify through the Ladies rankings list, they will have a spot in the Ladies field at the 2012 MLD North American Championships. If a woman qualifies through the Open rankings list, then they will have a choice of the Open or the Ladies tournament, but can only play in one.

Point totals can be earned from qualified MLD local tournaments between Sep 15, 2011 and Sep 14, 2012.

FREE spots go to individual players who earn them; it does not move down if the top 2 cannot make it. Players must commit and register by Oct 1, 2012 if you have a free or reduced entry into the MLD North American Championships. After that time, registration will be full price. If players in the #3-5 reduced rate spots decline to attend by the commit date, players below them will be moved up and have until Oct 15, 2012 to commit and register.

There will most likely be additional competitions, for players of all playing abilities, held during the2012 MLD North American Championships weekend, full details to follow.

http://mlddarts.com/tournaments/2012_North_American_Championships

Nato
14th September 2011, 01:15 PM
Great news for the development of American darts, hope this proves to be a real success.

How many Local events do you think will be played over the next year? Do you have plans to expand the main tour next year? Are there any sponsors/backing for this organisation yet? Do you plan to host U21 events?

fotoman
15th September 2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks. I do think this is the future of North American darts. great questions.

Number of locals...tough one to answer. Considering MLD was announced in oct 2010 and the first official event was in march 2011, we've had 12 events with another 3 on the books for 2011 with 405 more being planned. We're hoping for 3-6+ events in each region, so 52-78 events would not be an unrealistic number. This in itself in an amazing feat; to have that many events all with the same format from a new organization.

Main tour expansion. We're holding off on full blown 2 days events in 2012. A bit of an ambitions start for us in 2011. New things are just that 'new' and people are scared of new, but the ones who get it...GET IT!!! We are looking to bring the Tour Stops back in 2013, bu the concentration right now is on the Local scene in each of the 13 MLD regions.

Sponsors. Not yet, we would love to discuss branding and promotion opportunities anyone would like to consider. This really needs to be something that players WANT to happen, sure money makes things easier, but will it make it better; the base desire to change the system and to improve themselves and take it to the next level has to start at the ground floor. Now, if the PDC comes along and goes "hey, we like what you're doing...the top 4 finishers at the North American Championships get invites to the PDC Worlds"... I think players would see the value (easier) of what MLD is trying to bring to the table.

U21 events...interesting you mentioned that. We have someone working on a 5 year youth plan for MLD, not quite ready to introduce it, but the Youth program, esp in the US, needs some work. Again, the scale of the US and Canada are just so much bigger than Europe. There are no age restrictions for MLD events, and we've had a few youth players perform quite well in them (15, 18, 19, 20 year olds reaching finals, quarters, group winners, etc).

You know what...I think I'm going to add a U21 category to the 2012 North American Championships. Need to see if it's going to be similar to the Ladies or what the logistics are.

Steve Metalman
15th September 2011, 08:45 PM
I think having a u21s will add to your armour and should be encouraged

Nato
16th September 2011, 10:21 AM
You must be proud of Shaun Narain qualifying for the PDC U21 world champs after he played in all 4 of the Main tour stops this year. I hope he is able to represent not only Canada but also the MLD organisation well.

I dont know if not having any tour stops is a good idea or not, I dont know if the turn out was as good as excpected this year but surely keeping the moment with them, even if its only a couple again next year cant be a bad thing.

You never know ESPN may decide to show your North American Champs next year :P just got to get all the top players qualifying.

So do you now have representatives for all 13 regions?

fotoman
16th September 2011, 10:14 PM
Yea, Shaun rocked. He had a tough semi final against Dawson Murshell (15 yeas old), also from Alberta (they were in the same round robin group the first day of the Canadian Challenge and Dawson won that group), and then an ex in the finals against Sarah Hayhurst.

The switch to not have the Tour Stops was a tough one, but we think it was too much change too fast. Having 1 large event near the end of the year along with a feeder system using the 1-day Locals should be a nice introduction to MLD and what it can do for darts. I think people liked the idea of what the Tour Stop stood for, but lots with the "wait and see" attitude. once they play in some Locals, the Tour Stops will be big. Since the base format of the singles events is the same, the transition from Locals to Tour Sops will be easier.

Even if ESPN isn't there, the 2012 North American Championships will be well produced and streamed live. We have a Media Coordinator who has won Emmys running the show :)

We don't have coordinators in each region right now, I think there are 4 official, 1 unofficial (announcement shortly), and well me in region 1, so 7. We're talking with several other people in the other areas and should have things filled out in the next few months. We have people in all regions wanting to host locals, so there should be a lot more being advertised shortly.

Nato
17th September 2011, 08:34 AM
Yea, Shaun rocked. He had a tough semi final against Dawson Murshell (15 yeas old), also from Alberta (they were in the same round robin group the first day of the Canadian Challenge and Dawson won that group), and then an ex in the finals against Sarah Hayhurst.

The switch to not have the Tour Stops was a tough one, but we think it was too much change too fast. Having 1 large event near the end of the year along with a feeder system using the 1-day Locals should be a nice introduction to MLD and what it can do for darts. I think people liked the idea of what the Tour Stop stood for, but lots with the "wait and see" attitude. once they play in some Locals, the Tour Stops will be big. Since the base format of the singles events is the same, the transition from Locals to Tour Sops will be easier.

Even if ESPN isn't there, the 2012 North American Championships will be well produced and streamed live. We have a Media Coordinator who has won Emmys running the show :)

We don't have coordinators in each region right now, I think there are 4 official, 1 unofficial (announcement shortly), and well me in region 1, so 7. We're talking with several other people in the other areas and should have things filled out in the next few months. We have people in all regions wanting to host locals, so there should be a lot more being advertised shortly.

Sounds like there is some good potential certainly in Canada. I hope you are able to nurture this talent through your organisation and we see these players performing to some good standards, its about time we see a player from North America who really looks like taking on the mantle from John Part

fotoman
19th September 2011, 09:34 PM
I enjoyed reading that, very informative and love that map you posted.:smileb:

Thanks. We're hoping it's going to work.

Here's a great resource to give you a sense of the distance scale that we're dealing with over here in North America:
http://goeurope.about.com/od/europeanmaps/l/bl-country-size-comparison-map.htm

wcp
20th September 2011, 01:26 PM
some places are so far that that they can't be driven to without stoping for the night which of course adds to the expence, a player would be looking at 3 nights of hotel stays not to mention gas,food,bridge and road tolls,maybe even time off from work, it adds up quickly and is a major deterent to many potentialy good players thats why this idea is so good,it gives more people a chance to compete- hopefully this will help the american darts scene in a big way

fotoman
20th September 2011, 07:57 PM
Yea Texas is larger than France!! The UK is about the same size as the green Region 9 (which ironically is called New England)

Chicago -> Philly = London -> Berlin
San Francisco -> Las Vegas (3rd tournament over $10,000 in our area) = London -> Frankfurt (9 hour drive!!!)

So, Region 10 is picking up the ball again, have the first MLD Local in the new system this weekend and already have 2 more planned out in the coming months. Looks like they're going to be running Open and Ladies events at the same venue as well.

This really is a grassroots effort. I've put the framework together along with input from various advisers, but it will take people in each of those regions to make this thing work for the betterment of darts in North America.

Someone asked me what's needed to run a MLD Local, I said "venue with 3-10+ boards, a name, a date, a laptop, and don't host it on the same day as another local in the region. The MLD software pretty much runs the event. The flier is pretty much a template and there's online registration. All you do is add players"

Nato
17th October 2011, 01:50 PM
The first event that counts to the MLD North American Championships took place at the back end of September.

Jeff Smith took the Victory over Carter Mill

Match Stats:
Jeff..............Carter
100+ = 11.........100+ = 12
... 140+ = 7.........140+ = 1
180 = 0.........180 = 0
Hi Out 104........Hi Out Nill
Best Leg 13.......Best Leg Nill
Avg 31.98 (95.94).Avg 25.71 (77.13)

Theres also video of this (3 parts)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ7IDG_ppaM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvGOPgsdKcQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZnGIeEvfLg&feature=related

If people watch these I am sure they can take the viewing figures and try and attract some sponsorship for around the boards!

DartsMad.com
23rd October 2011, 11:27 AM
I know Brian has put massive amounts of effort into getting the MLD darts going, looks like it is going from strength to strength. Really pleased for him, and with the PDC missing out Ontario in 2012 there is an opportunity for MLD to get stuck in.

I wonder if anyone used the MLD format to host a comp in the UK yet?

George Silberzahn
24th October 2011, 07:52 PM
I've just had a peek at the goings on. What great stuff! More please!!! And ask the chalkers to write a bit larger? ;-)

fotoman
25th October 2011, 07:50 PM
Also, dates are 90% certain for the 2012 MLD North American Championships: 30 Nov - 2 Dec 2012, Nashville, Tennessee, USA

@George- we're working on a video streaming template to allow for score overlays and such for MLD matches.

George Silberzahn
26th October 2011, 05:15 PM
Also, dates are 90% certain for the 2012 MLD North American Championships: 30 Nov - 2 Dec 2012, Nashville, Tennessee, USA

@George- we're working on a video streaming template to allow for score overlays and such for MLD matches.
Thanks for all your efforts. I much rather watch N. Americans play than the PDC bunch all the time.
I hope restrictions put on players by the PDC and the like will not interfere with your work.

Nato
26th October 2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all your efforts. I much rather watch N. Americans play than the PDC bunch all the time.
I hope restrictions put on players by the PDC and the like will not interfere with your work.

There arent restrictions on PDC players by the PDC its the WDF/BDO who put the restrictions on them. I dont think there will be many N.American players with Tour Cards next year, John Part, possivbly Young, but i think he will prob decline a tour card even if he is in a tour card position.

fotoman
26th October 2011, 11:25 PM
Yea, not east for a North American to keep a PDC Tour Card right now unless they move over to the UK. Hopefully, we'll see a surge in top caliber players emerge from MLD events, who can then garner some sponsors and give it a go!

nnj
22nd November 2011, 05:51 AM
ill be in for region 2 ;)

nnj
22nd November 2011, 05:55 AM
well...once i know a date and location

Nato
23rd November 2011, 07:28 PM
well...once i know a date and location

https://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=208935932512840

Think it must be 53 Weeks away tomorrow!

nnj
27th November 2011, 01:37 AM
aye but dont i need to qualify in a regional? dont see any in my area

Dave Dart
27th November 2011, 04:55 AM
The first event that counts to the MLD North American Championships took place at the back end of September.

Jeff Smith took the Victory over Carter Mill

Match Stats:
Jeff..............Carter
100+ = 11.........100+ = 12
... 140+ = 7.........140+ = 1
180 = 0.........180 = 0
Hi Out 104........Hi Out Nill
Best Leg 13.......Best Leg Nill
Avg 31.98 (95.94).Avg 25.71 (77.13)

Theres also video of this (3 parts)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ7IDG_ppaM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvGOPgsdKcQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZnGIeEvfLg&feature=related

If people watch these I am sure they can take the viewing figures and try and attract some sponsorship for around the boards!

Enjoyed watching the games And a good standard too.........

fotoman
28th November 2011, 06:28 PM
aye but dont i need to qualify in a regional? dont see any in my area

Yes, and no. It's an OPEN Tournament, but you can qualify for FREE and discounted entry fees based on participation in MLD Locals in your personal region or any MLD Local around the 2 countries (6 wildcards).

If there are no MLD Locals currently listed in your region, you can always run one!!! This is a players tour and players need to want this to happen. http://mlddarts.com/tournaments/mld_local MLD provides everything for you: sheets, payout table, software which does the seeding, draws, and placement into knockouts. Even a flier template along with the online registration.

fotoman
21st December 2011, 03:14 AM
MLD 2012 Under 21 Championship: Need to be under 21 at the start of the points gathering period: 15 Sep 2011

The event is Open to all players under 21 who reside in North America.

You can qualify for FREE entry into this event through the MLD Regional Youth points lists. Play in special MLD Youth events to earn points.