PDA

View Full Version : Darts Forum Player Sponosorship - Initial Thoughts

Brett
23rd December 2010, 05:32 PM
Now this was mentioned last year and was shot down for various reasons but as a group of mods we have been talking about the idea of Sponsoring a Darts Pro in 2011. This is very much in the early stages at the minute but we wanted to test the waters to see what the members want.

The idea is we want you to vote on the kind of person you would be interested in sponsoring as a forum and I will put some pros and cons below. Then we will go out and try find a few pros interested in that area and we can vote again. It will then be a case of everybody involved putting the money together and giving whatever we raise, now I know certain pros will only accept a certain amount of money but the Idea is we give all we can, wether its a few hundred quid or thousands :). We will then have constant updates by the pro and Ill also try talk him into doing a blog and some q&a sessions.

Now here are the 4 categories to vote on at the minute.

Top PDC Player (ie top 32)
Pros - Well known, easy to follow, top of the game
Cons - Tend to only accept a set figure (ie we couldn't afford most), going to be fighting against other sponsors.

PDC player out of the top 32
Pros - Will happily accept any gesture, PDC, could be helping someone enter a event they may not have been able to, easily approachable
Cons - Not as easily to follow, wont be a household name.

Top BDO
Pros - Easily approachable, could be followed and watched by everyone (could go along to tournaments without worry ect)
Cons - Would split the members,

Young BDO
Pros - Would be doing something for the future, helping somebody that may not have been able to go down the darts route
Cons - You wouldn't really see any of the efforts for a while

There you go, any other comments at the minute will be appriciated

viking
23rd December 2010, 05:35 PM
Steve Brown, just outside the top 32, looks like he could be about to make a move and a player that will be around for a few years plus we already have direct contact through one of our members.

Alternatively someone like Manley/Mardle who are going through a bad patch but are still top well known names and because they are out of the limelight for the moment will be losing sponsors, Mardle is starting to look handy again and could break back into the top 32 with a few good results at the start of 2011.

Steve Metalman
23rd December 2010, 05:42 PM
I thought of suggesting Kong or if not Kong then 'Chimp' (son of Kong) Jamie Green as a promising up coming youngster to get the barrel rolling.

Brett
23rd December 2010, 05:56 PM
Well without putting names in yet if we went for either of the bottom 2 categories, Kong and Jamie would be the first names to be put forward respectively . I personally voted for the PDC player out of the Top32 as it can bring a lot to the table and I could think of nearly 20 people off the top of my head alone that would just love a couple of hundred quid to give them entry to one pro tour weekend

viking
23rd December 2010, 06:08 PM
PDC player out of the top 32
Pros - Will happily accept any gesture, PDC, could be helping someone enter a event they may not have been able to, easily approachable
Cons - Not as easily to follow, wont be a household name.

I think from a forum point of view this would be the best option, everyone who comes on here knows where to find info to follow players outside the top 32 the only downside would be that you may not get to see the forum sponsored player on TV but if you are shrewd in the choice you'd be hopeful the pro would be on tv sooner rather than later.

Steve Metalman
23rd December 2010, 06:16 PM
I don't think you can avoid names being put forward.
My reason for voting in a young BDO player is because of the long term benefit of sponsorship to that player.
The moneys paid out to BDO players is a lot less than the PDC,
I'm going by needs rather than returns.

Brett
23rd December 2010, 06:17 PM
I think from a forum point of view this would be the best option, everyone who comes on here knows where to find info to follow players outside the top 32 the only downside would be that you may not get to see the forum sponsored player on TV but if you are shrewd in the choice you'd be hopeful the pro would be on tv sooner rather than later.

Well thats what I was thinking. we help somebody that we could see the benefits, there are a few people that are outside the top 32 would love some help yet a couple of good results and we could be watching them on the TV knowing we helped.

But this is a open poll and I will go with whatever the majority wants.

viking
23rd December 2010, 06:30 PM
I don't think you can avoid names being put forward.
My reason for voting in a young BDO player is because of the long term benefit of sponsorship to that player.
The moneys paid out to BDO players is a lot less than the PDC,
I'm going by needs rather than returns.

Its something that would need to be looked at in much more details, I would love to see a forum sponsored player rise through the ranks and get to the Lakeside but the problem is the results are slow coming from the BDO its not live/near live like the PDC tour events its also a lot harder to follow players in the BDO because of the lower number of events. The other thing is the cost of the BDO system is significantly less than the cost of the PDC tour and my personal opinion is a young player in the PDC would be a lot more appreciative of the sponsorship. Also how would you decide on a BDO youth player because everyone would know someone who they feel would be a good choice for the sponsorship.

As Brett said this an open poll and my opinions are just that and someone else might feel the exact opposite and have equally good reasons.

Steve Metalman
23rd December 2010, 06:31 PM
One of the long term benefits of giving a young player a leg up, is who helped him.
It's what was the turning point that will be remembered by that player and who took in an interest which in turn leads to loyalty

Or you could go for a fast return but no lasting value.

viking
23rd December 2010, 06:38 PM
It is a good way of putting it Steve and if we did it that was why don.t we, and This is just a suggestion but IF he can prove what he's been wittering on about for the last 12monts is true and that he really is making a push for super league and opens why don't we sponsor Clements, he's a forum member and has openly asked for sponsorship.

Brett
23rd December 2010, 06:39 PM
One of the long term benefits of giving a young player a leg up, is who helped him.
It's what was the turning point that will be remembered by that player and who took in an interest which in turn leads to loyalty

Or you could go for a fast return but no lasting value.

I agree 100% however looking it from a forums view, members tend to want the quick return instead of a long running return. I think bring the 2 together would be if a young BDO lad went to the QSchool and got through (dont know what Jamies intentions are Kong :))

kong
23rd December 2010, 06:50 PM
ive gone for the youth player myself,as steve said the long term progress could be intresting to watch.

BanannaMan
23rd December 2010, 06:51 PM
quick return _? by this what u mean . be nice to help someone whos got the talent but not the funds.....

Mammoth
23rd December 2010, 06:55 PM
Sponsor Clements.:D From 32 maybe Andy Smith and of course Scholten (good catch)

kong
23rd December 2010, 06:55 PM
if you looking to make money then you go for a pdc lad,prob outside the top 32 as the ones in top 32 u couldnt afford to get the sticker on there shirt....

i think the bdo youth system is by far the best,the pdc q school in all very new and they could get dropped like the drop of a hat if it dont take off....

the bdo has some cracking youth players coming through,shaun griff one who has just broke through and made lakeside...there is others aswell....ive watched some ov them for the last 4 years and have got to know them away from the board aswell.....ive a few players in mind that this would help a lot..not just our jamie as that would be biased of me...

BanannaMan
23rd December 2010, 06:59 PM
will go with mr kong choice he knows the ropes it be in safe hands with kong choice.

Brett
23rd December 2010, 07:00 PM
quick return _? by this what u mean . be nice to help someone whos got the talent but not the funds.....

if you looking to make money then you go for a pdc lad,prob outside the top 32 as the ones in top 32 u couldnt afford to get the sticker on there shirt....

i think the bdo youth system is by far the best,the pdc q school in all very new and they could get dropped like the drop of a hat if it dont take off....

the bdo has some cracking youth players coming through,shaun griff one who has just broke through and made lakeside...there is others aswell....ive watched some ov them for the last 4 years and have got to know them away from the board aswell.....ive a few players in mind that this would help a lot..not just our jamie as that would be biased of me...

I think I may have been misinterpreted. By quick return I dont mean making money out of it, thats not the intention of this. I mean return by people seeing the benefits of the person we have sponsoring (ie if we sponsored someone ranked in the 50s and he makes it to the TV that year the forum sees the benefits whereas if we sponsored a young lad in the BDO Youth system it would take considerably longer to see that person in the "limelight) and by the forum getting the praise for helping the person.

Just wanted to clear that up, were not gambling money to get a return, we are helping pros who may be struggling.

Mammoth
23rd December 2010, 07:00 PM
Mensur has very good communication skills get him

Mammoth
23rd December 2010, 07:03 PM
If I am right .Kong cant be sponsored by DC because of his darts(if you understand me correctly)

BanannaMan
23rd December 2010, 07:06 PM
with the top 50 we know what we get in performance wise. as for a young star more of a gamble , a good floor record must be a most . i like steve farmer as stated above . im easy i know whoever we get be a step in thr right direction.........

kong
23rd December 2010, 07:06 PM
for me youth,u could help a struggling player and them doin nowt....a youth player will benifit regardless and they will learn from it rather than tryin to teach an old dog new tricks if u see what i mean.......i would be willing to help the player all i can and advise and help with sorting travel and whatnot...

Brett
23rd December 2010, 07:08 PM
If I am right .Kong cant be sponsored by DC because of his darts(if you understand me correctly)

This wont be a DC sponsorship. It will be a "Members Of DartsForum.co.uk" Sponsorship

Mammoth
23rd December 2010, 07:11 PM
Then what to think more get Kong.

kong
23rd December 2010, 07:13 PM
pdc top 50...peter wright for me.....

pdc top 32...mark walsh i think would be intrested if the price is right.....proven player floor and stage....

bdo player .... not a vote so think thats a waste ov time....

bdo youth players....i have about 4 or 5 in mind,all quality who can mix it with the big boys but funds stop them doing that,....

Steve Metalman
23rd December 2010, 07:19 PM
Even if it wasn't Kong, It's his insight into the world of the pro game thats helpful.

Thoughts on Stuart Kellet came to mind whilst reading this.
He's pretty good but can't afford to travel to play many events.

How much are we looking to raise? :eekodf:
A bit, a lot, loads.

If we only get a few people sponsoring that should be enough for the bus fare home or a chip supper and let him walk

BanannaMan
23rd December 2010, 07:35 PM
just add a sponser a dartplayer donate button ..once you decided who we are having....and have a blog feature to folllow his progress thru year.....

Brett
23rd December 2010, 07:39 PM
just add a sponser a dartplayer donate button ..once you decided who we are having....and have a blog feature to folllow his progress thru year.....

Money will be the next discussion, Im thinking it will be a set price to pay in, with the option to "buy in" more times if you wish

I think we are getting bogged down with names at the minute, the idea at the minute is to look at which alley we want to go down and then we will find a few names to vote on. To decide on a player now would be putting all our eggs in one basket

Steve Metalman
23rd December 2010, 07:46 PM
Money will be the next discussion, Im thinking it will be a set price to pay in, with the option to "buy in" more times if you wish

I think we are getting bogged down with names at the minute, the idea at the minute is to look at which alley we want to go down and then we will find a few names to vote on. To decide on a player now would be putting all our eggs in one basket

I don't entirely agree.
Now's a good time to have the discussion whilst we have the impetus.
It will help people make their decision on what type of player to vote for if we could give some named examples

Steve Metalman
23rd December 2010, 08:25 PM
Whilst its a bit early in proceedings to talk about money,
(My fault I think for bringing it up, my apologies)

I do like the Bretts suggestion of a 'Buy in' option
I think I would be good for a 10 ( eugh!! dirty subject)

Nato
23rd December 2010, 08:33 PM
I will have my say.

This is something that i wold love to get involved with, thought bought it for ages and now that im working have got some cash to put forward to it.

I think a player outside the top 32 is a good way to go, maybe go right down to the bottom, is it Michael Smith, youngster down round the 90s i think. The other option is if a BDO player (of some standing) wants to have a go in the PDC and we offer to pay for a Q-School place for them and then help them out on the circuit they then end up on. What about a European that we can get flying to UK to play in a few tournies, the spaniards coud both qualify for PDC words if they played full time on tour and not just in Europe

I think a share of 50 each, maybe 100 but that would depend on numbers of people involved. Could go higher if we lack people ivolved. Would we then ask for a % of winnings back from the player... which could then go towards a different player in 2012??

How much would we need to raise?? are we talking 500 or 10,000. I know there are differences between the options in price but is there any one with actual knowledge of how much it will cost (Kong) for people to regularly travel to these events??

Criteria to select a Darter:

In the PDPA-
Has a PDC tour card,
Someone who is moving up and not going back,
Someone who is young, they must have longevity to there career. Not Mardle, Manley etc.
Someone who can show us that it means something to them, and give something to the forum, dont want a free loader.

In BDO- either
Top player looking to move to PDC, someone we can watch in Q-School potentially,
Will play PDC UK open as well, lol.
Will get on TV for Masters and Worlds, cause there only on TV then, loads of PDC players can get on TV at times during the year.

or

BDO Young, U21, we can helpge to all big BDO tourneys in UK, help them go to Europe etc. Will enter PDC U21 and UK open

lovejoy
23rd December 2010, 09:17 PM
My votes for a PDC player outside the top 32. The reason is it would be nice to help someone on the fringe to get a chance at something serious.

Blizzy
24th December 2010, 12:00 AM
I voted for PDC Payer outside Top 32. Mardle preferably, I know he would reward members and be very grateful.

kong
24th December 2010, 09:23 AM
i wouldnt of thought wayne would be in need of this type of sponsorship to be fair...

gazman
24th December 2010, 09:29 AM
I voted for PDC Payer outside Top 32. Mardle preferably, I know he would reward members and be very grateful.

Personally i'd opt for youth rather than a fading name.

I think it would be rewarding to know we've in some way helped someone in some small capacity pursue a career that pretty much all of on on here could only dream about.

Snakehipsx2
26th December 2010, 03:49 PM
Les Wallace. End of discussion, get your cash out lads.

RNLarry
26th December 2010, 04:18 PM
I thought of suggesting Kong or if not Kong then 'Chimp' (son of Kong) Jamie Green as a promising up coming youngster to get the barrel rolling.

I like Kong:biggrinodf:

RNLarry
26th December 2010, 04:27 PM
will go with mr kong choice he knows the ropes it be in safe hands with kong choice.

Kong is cool whatever he says is good with me!!!!!

RNLarry
26th December 2010, 04:35 PM
That good idea

RNLarry
26th December 2010, 04:38 PM
Les Wallace. End of discussion, get your cash out lads.

Tell me something about him:biggrinodf: Les Wallace

Steve Metalman
26th December 2010, 04:44 PM

A Player which talent to match his character
Comes from Scotland, Bears the name of a warrior.
Not to be underestimated, he's very good at his game.

You need a picture really......

Steve Metalman
26th December 2010, 04:45 PM

A Player who has talent to match his character

RNLarry
26th December 2010, 04:50 PM
A Player who has talent to match his character

If hes anything like William Wallace then I'm in. Is he a BDO or PDC player and is he in need is the question.

RNLarry
26th December 2010, 05:27 PM
Whilst its a bit early in proceedings to talk about money,
(My fault I think for bringing it up, my apologies)

I do like the Bretts suggestion of a 'Buy in' option
I think I would be good for a 10 ( eugh!! dirty subject)

I think it should be a fund that is more or less permanent and we dole it out as a vote.
I will coment monies monthly if set up properly

RNLarry
26th December 2010, 05:32 PM
Lets start by picking a player ok. Come on you guys know them better than me soo lets rock and not lose sight of this goal. Strike while the iron is hot so to speak!

Nato
28th December 2010, 07:09 PM
I dont think Steve Brown will need a sponsor, think he had 4 other than Ladbrooks on his shirt today.

Nato
29th December 2010, 08:34 PM
From the thread in PDC, and putting it back in here. Brett now says we need to fnd a player before number of ppl to sponsor them... i dont think its right. Surely the questions we need to ask are in order:

1. Who wants to be involved?
2. How much are people willing to part with? (this now gives us a figure to approach players with)
3. Organise a set of conditions.. How long, What we would excpect from the player, do we take a % for future ventures?? etc etc
4. A list of Players....
5. Approach players and from that have a final vote??
(during 4 and 5 money is collected)
6. Donate Money.

So are we now coming up with players names now?? it is someithng that needs to be proggressed cause the start of the new season is getting closer.

Hazza
29th December 2010, 08:54 PM
I would have to say I agree with Brett, you will have to pick the player first as people will use it to gauge their participation and how much they will donate, and I don't see how you can set the targets in point 3 if you don't know who you will sponsor as hese will vary dependant on player.

viking
29th December 2010, 10:08 PM
finding the right way of doing this is going to be part of the learning process, I think the original question still needs to be 100% decided before we go any further. For those that are a little slow on the uptake have a look at the poll, once this is decided then we can make a short list of the players that will be interest once this has been and Brett can contact multiple players to gauge interest and see what/how much each player requires because its not as simple as dragons den " I'll give you 100 for a 2% share of your winnings".

What I will say to those that are interested, from experience ( a company I worked for a few years ago sponsored footballers for seasons at a time) , is this won't be a decision that will be made over night and I think it will be at least a month or 2 before we are at the point of approaching players. If it was me the first 2 things needed would be an answer to the poll and for people to say IN or OUT because if you are unsure about this its not for you.

clements
29th December 2010, 11:11 PM
why does it have to be one? if we raise enough, cant we split it.
OR
we all chip in x amount, and use it as a pool for us members for big tourneys , opens etc, to enter?

Wile-E-OneEighty
29th December 2010, 11:59 PM
Reckon we should go for Suljovic and offer to sponsor him to do the PDC Pro tour next year. Even if only we made him an offer it would be good to "test the water" as it were.

Problem I can see is raising the money. Judging that only 15 different people have replied to this thread, if we all put 50 quid in that is still only 750. I heard the approx cost of the full PDC Pro Tour is 15 grand and with Mensur living in Austria it'll probably be more than that.

I really like this idea it's doable but we'd need significantly more people just to cover part of the cost.

Steve Metalman
30th December 2010, 12:19 AM
The poll is the first part of the procedure, what type of player would you consider sponsoring?

Any names put forward are/were for example only, to express an opinion or explanation of why you would choose one of the above options.
Proper naming comes later

As far as I'm aware we are not asking for a % of the players earnings.

I think Viking put it best you are either in or watching.

Wile-E-OneEighty
30th December 2010, 05:34 PM
The only one I'd be interesting in doing is sponsoring a PDC player outside of the top 32. A PDC top 32 player we'd have little chance although there is one or two (eg. Tabern) you might have half a chance with. The problem with a BDO player is the lack of potential TV exposure and always the chance of them going over to the PDC.

Spoonz
30th December 2010, 07:31 PM
I dont think Steve Brown will need a sponsor, think he had 4 other than Ladbrooks on his shirt today.

They where sponsors for just that event

You know who I'm gonna say or just sponsor me lol

Who's Winnin
1st January 2011, 10:53 PM
Great idea and a young BDO player gets my vote, might not get TV exposure but that is not what it is all about it is about helping a young player get himself on the scene and if he gets tv exposure in future then that is great for forum.

Steve Metalman
1st January 2011, 11:02 PM
Great idea and a young BDO player gets my vote, might not get TV exposure but that is not what it is all about it is about helping a young player get himself on the scene and if he gets tv exposure in future then that is great for forum.
:iagree::goodone:

Hazza
1st January 2011, 11:48 PM
How about Webster, we've got to look better than a Tarpaulin company :)

Nato
3rd January 2011, 05:36 PM
Surely another option now an U21 PDC player...... as a forum we would deffinatly be able to put together enough sponsorship for a players season, lol. If we got enough for them to take up PDPA membership it would also allow them to play UK open qualifiers, and some tournaments in Europe. 2 grand would probably cover most expenses for a season i guess at a stretch

Steve Metalman
3rd January 2011, 06:07 PM
Surely another option now an U21 PDC player.

Hi Nato
Good suggestion, worth considering

Nato
3rd January 2011, 11:38 PM
Will Kongs lad play the U21 tour?? WOuld deffinately have intrest from the forum.

Speeedy
10th January 2011, 02:38 AM
Steve Brown, just outside the top 32, looks like he could be about to make a move and a player that will be around for a few years plus we already have direct contact through one of our members.

Steve Brown gets my vote too.

TROUBLEAGAIN
10th January 2011, 02:56 AM
in the initial SOD sponsorship what they did was invite any player interested in being sponsored to chuck their name into the hat..then had a few rounds of voting via the people who chucked in the 25 - i voted for Remco van eijden who just misssed out to Eccles.

Nato
10th January 2011, 11:10 AM
I think we should sponsor an U21 player. If we got one who enters the Q-School they could play the UK Open Qualifiers and we could see them at the UK Open and then hopefully at the U21 world champs

Spoonz
10th January 2011, 11:42 AM
I think we should sponsor an U21 player. If we got one who enters the Q-School they could play the UK Open Qualifiers and we could see them at the UK Open and then hopefully at the U21 world champs

problem with this is. cause i was gonna do Q School but decided i was better starting at the BDO. is that the open qualifiers etc is that you are only gonna sponsor them for a few tournaments where if u get someone doing a whole circuit its more helpfull to that person and to the forum aswell IMO

Nato
10th January 2011, 12:00 PM
problem with this is. cause i was gonna do Q School but decided i was better starting at the BDO. is that the open qualifiers etc is that you are only gonna sponsor them for a few tournaments where if u get someone doing a whole circuit its more helpfull to that person and to the forum aswell IMO

Its 15 tournaments during the year on the U21 tour, its a further 4 weekends (8 tournaments) for the UK Open, it would hopefully be the UK Open. May even help the player travel to Europe for a few "senior" tournaments. Hopefully a weekend at the World Champs U21, and possibly a final as well. They could also qualify for the GSOD. the PDPA qualifier for the World Champs.

But is a minimum of 20 weekends

Spoonz
10th January 2011, 12:59 PM
o yea forgot there doing that lol ignore me

hang the dj
10th January 2011, 01:17 PM
I am a member of the Player Sponsorship Scheme on TSOD which sponsors Justin Pipe, I would encourage people to get behind a sponsorship scheme as it really does make a difference to both the players & you as a fan.

I constantly get very excited when watching Justin Pipe's results on the interent at floor events & felt great pride in watching him on TV at the GSOD & Ally Pally knowing I played part (all be it a small part) in assisting Justin getting there through the sponsorhip money which helped fund the floor events to qualify for these tournaments.

One thing I would suggest is getting the player to become a member of the site & post updates on their progress & tournament success as it helps everybody know how their money is being used.

This is a great idea & hopefully one which takes off.

I'm in

Spoonz
10th January 2011, 02:40 PM
I am a member of the Player Sponsorship Scheme on TSOD which sponsors Justin Pipe, I would encourage people to get behind a sponsorship scheme as it really does make a difference to both the players & you as a fan.

I constantly get very excited when watching Justin Pipe's results on the interent at floor events & felt great pride in watching him on TV at the GSOD & Ally Pally knowing I played part (all be it a small part) in assisting Justin getting there through the sponsorhip money which helped fund the floor events to qualify for these tournaments.

One thing I would suggest is getting the player to become a member of the site & post updates on their progress & tournament success as it helps everybody know how their money is being used.

This is a great idea & hopefully one which takes off.

I'm in

can anyone try and get a sponsor from there? thats the sort of sponsorship i was looking for

RNLarry
10th January 2011, 02:48 PM
can anyone try and get a sponsor from there? thats the sort of sponsorship i was looking for

Well I'm ready, when is this gonna happen and stop procastinating?

hang the dj
10th January 2011, 02:59 PM

You have to be a member of the forum & put your namwe forward to be considered then all the members vote on who receives the money.

Not sure when the next sponsorship scheme will be

Spoonz
10th January 2011, 03:01 PM
yea ive heard about these they seem a really good idea aswell

Nato
10th January 2011, 03:07 PM
yea ive heard about these they seem a really good idea aswell

I dont know of the top of my head but most if not all the players sponsored are PDPA members. I think its Dave Ahmet (ex PDC pro) who organises it for them. I am sure they would be happy to help this forum set it up, could be fun to have some inter-forum rivalry. watching our pros battling it out on stage

hang the dj
10th January 2011, 03:57 PM
Dave Ahmet was behind the Players Sponsorship as well as the Pro Tour marking Scheme

Stran
11th January 2011, 12:34 PM
the TSOD sponsorship scheme has worked well for Justin Pipe and he proveds very detailed updates of his tournaments.

Something like the way the ran it would be a good idea i believe it was 25 a share and they got a short list of players and the people who had paid the money got to vote on a player who the money should go to.

Ive voted for a player outside the top 32 in PDC as i think it would be great to get player to break into the top 32 and to start playing in some tv tournaments . the only question is now who to choose and im still having a think of possible people i would like to help

hang the dj
11th January 2011, 01:35 PM
the TSOD sponsorship scheme has worked well for Justin Pipe and he proveds very detailed updates of his tournaments.

Something like the way the ran it would be a good idea i believe it was 25 a share and they got a short list of players and the people who had paid the money got to vote on a player who the money should go to.

Ive voted for a player outside the top 32 in PDC as i think it would be great to get player to break into the top 32 and to start playing in some tv tournaments . the only question is now who to choose and im still having a think of possible people i would like to help

20 a share which entitled you to 1 vote, if you paid 40 you got 2 votes, 60 3 votes etc

RNLarry
16th January 2011, 03:56 AM
:confused2:Well whats happening?

The Hun
20th January 2011, 06:17 PM
Top PDC player.
Someone who has a charismatic personality like Mardle

gazman
20th January 2011, 06:47 PM
Top PDC player.
Someone who has a charismatic personality like Mardle

I've highlighted the flaw in your choice.

Dartitis
20th January 2011, 08:31 PM
how about Shane O'Connor? Qualified 1st day of the Q school, and is looking for sponsorship as he has had a bad experience with a prospective sponsor. Someone who's opinion I respect reckons he has the game to be competitive on the circuit and believes him to be better than William O'Connor

Nato
21st January 2011, 01:32 PM
Someone who's opinion I respect reckons he has the game to be competitive on the circuit and believes him to be better than William O'Connor

BlueBrummie?? :rolleyesodf:

I thought he had an 8,000 euro sponsorship package coming his way as well?? or is that the problem?

But what is happening with this??

Dartitis
21st January 2011, 03:46 PM
BlueBrummie?? :rolleyesodf:

I thought he had an 8,000 euro sponsorship package coming his way as well?? or is that the problem?

But what is happening with this??

transpires that it hasn't happened for reasons beyond the player's control. The opinion is from an irishman who also played the Q school

Brett
21st January 2011, 04:05 PM
Sorry people had a lot on in the last month so ive not researched this. When I come on I just come on to chat and leave at the minute, lets just say im fed up with visiting hospitals.

The next step is to get names. I havent decided wether we should vote again on either a PDC player outside the 32 or a under 21 or if I should just find a few names of each.

I like the idea of a share scheme and then each time you pay 20 you get a vote on who we should sponsor, If everyones happy we can go down that route. It would be nice to get it sorted soon before the UK pro tour events in February.

Also can we not mention a certain other forum sponsorship scheme on here please. The reason I didnt want it last time was because it would end up being compared to that one. This is our way of sponsoring a player and in no way do I want it compared to that.

Spoonz
21st January 2011, 05:07 PM
so isit goin to be a bdo player then?

Hazza
21st January 2011, 05:12 PM
I guess if it's narrowed down to two categories then it might be worth another round of votes to finalise a category and then pick a few names after that.

Brett
21st January 2011, 06:46 PM
so isit goin to be a bdo player then?

Well 5 votes out of 50 is a comprehensive no.

The under21 category technically changes as if we sponsor a young player I assume we would all want one that would be taking part in the u21 tour aswell as the BDO tour

Phenom
28th January 2011, 10:32 PM
what about sponsorship of a USA player who is just getting into darts, would that person need to make a name for himself first in the dart world?

clements
31st January 2011, 11:54 PM
without sounding big headed here, but il put my name forward for sponsorship, im looking to enter the pdc tour, and the major bdo tournaments, what il give in return is 50% of any prize money won, t shirt placement and also website placement, I need this more than anything, come on guys

hang the dj
31st January 2011, 11:56 PM
without sounding big headed here, but il put my name forward for sponsorship, im looking to enter the pdc tour, and the major bdo tournaments, what il give in return is 50% of any prize money won, t shirt placement and also website placement, I need this more than anything, come on guys

The PDC tour has already started, did you win a tour card?

Hawkeye
1st February 2011, 10:26 AM

50% :eekodf: :biggrinodf:

Hawkeye
1st February 2011, 10:26 AM
The PDC tour has already started, did you win a tour card?

As he hasn't mentioned it, I'm guessing not.

Spoonz
1st February 2011, 10:44 AM

cant enter both lol

kong
15th February 2011, 05:55 PM
think he means pdc youth and bdo comps which he would be ok to do.....

Spoonz
16th February 2011, 11:23 AM
think he means pdc youth and bdo comps which he would be ok to do.....

got ya

tommy
19th February 2011, 03:36 AM
what about brendan dolan? beaten by wes newton in the pdc world champs!!

Nato
24th February 2011, 04:01 PM
Id put Kong near the top of the list now that he has lost his main sponsor and he is already a regular forum member, but with the proviso he enters UK open rileys qualifiers (on current form he could do very well at an event like this) and the GSOD qualifiers??? (most people have voted for PDC however)

Dave1969
26th February 2011, 01:18 AM
Tanic! I can hear Sid now: "Understacker from his knees...brilliant"

tanic180
13th May 2011, 04:57 PM
Tanic! I can hear Sid now: "Understacker from his knees...brilliant"

:goodpost:

Steady Eddie
15th May 2011, 02:02 AM
Would it not be right to put the Sponsership towards Forum members to give them a chance we aleady have Kong and Spoonz who have qualified for UK Open

Nato
21st May 2011, 02:46 PM
Would it not be right to put the Sponsership towards Forum members to give them a chance we aleady have Kong and Spoonz who have qualified for UK Open

All those who have qualified to the UK Open have most of there expenses covered already through Speedy with the ones you mentioned and Jamie will be covered through Rileys.

Steady Eddie
21st May 2011, 04:13 PM
All those who have qualified to the UK Open have most of there expenses covered already through Speedy with the ones you mentioned and Jamie will be covered through Rileys.

But can we not offer the Sponsership to give those people a chance in other tournys etc etc ???????

RNLarry
21st May 2011, 04:21 PM
I would like to see something happen here though. Or is this dead?

Steady Eddie
21st May 2011, 04:25 PM
I hope its not dead I think from what I have read we have some real talent on here and with the correct sponsership/backing of the forum it can only be a positive thing and something that person can relay on how things are going where they are a bit like an inside man and someone we can all relate to.

Nato
21st May 2011, 05:00 PM
But can we not offer the Sponsership to give those people a chance in other tournys etc etc ???????

After kong lost his sponsorsip, i made a suggestion to look at him, but nothing happend on the thread.

As the poll has said people also want a PDC player, so that would be where we have to look for a player.

Steady Eddie
21st May 2011, 05:02 PM
But there was not an option to choose a Forum player??????

Nato
23rd May 2011, 11:30 AM

If people really wanted Kong they could have voted for a Top BDO player. But most want to see the chosen player on TV, so a BDO player isnt really a goer.

Dicie
23rd May 2011, 12:16 PM
If this is still a goer i wud like to donate.

Giraffe
23rd May 2011, 01:09 PM
I think we should sponsor spoons!

Buzz180
23rd May 2011, 01:17 PM

I have just added this option.

If you have already voted, i'm unsure if you can change your option.

Btw I agree with giraffe ;)

Dicie
23rd May 2011, 01:33 PM
I think we should sponsor spoons!

From what i read he sounds a proper player

Spoonz
23rd May 2011, 02:00 PM
:) I do try haha

Steady Eddie
23rd May 2011, 07:24 PM
I have voted yet and I vote for Spoonz :)

Steve Metalman
23rd May 2011, 07:33 PM
Had we the option for a forum player before I would have gone for that, but we didn't.
I want to change my vote :biggrinodf:

viking
23rd May 2011, 07:43 PM
Yep Spoonz it is for me as well, what better way to do it than sponsor one of our own.

Steady Eddie
24th May 2011, 12:42 AM
Yep Spoonz it is for me as well, what better way to do it than sponsor one of our own.

Totally agree think we should open a new voting poll and put names of people on the Forum that should have a chance at getting the Sponsership

Hazza
24th May 2011, 06:13 AM
Yeah how about locking this thread and restarting it so as we can vote again?

closey30
24th May 2011, 02:30 PM
Give it to spoonz. But tell him that we want him in the top 25 bdo order of merit by the end of year, and qualify through q-school to get a pdc tour card :biggrinodf:

Only joking but should get forum name on his shirt for UK open and if he wins he can thank forum if he gets an interviewl.

viking
24th May 2011, 03:15 PM
Let me discuss the idea and a few names with other mods and we'll see if we can get another poll up tonight with member names.

Steady Eddie
24th May 2011, 04:43 PM
Let me discuss the idea and a few names with other mods and we'll see if we can get another poll up tonight with member names.

Like this Idea :iagree:

Spoonz
24th May 2011, 04:57 PM
Give it to spoonz. But tell him that we want him in the top 25 bdo order of merit by the end of year, and qualify through q-school to get a pdc tour card :biggrinodf:

Only joking but should get forum name on his shirt for UK open and if he wins he can thank forum if he gets an interviewl.

that was my plan anyway but the BDO is alot of travelling so could be hard so was goin for top 10 in the grand prix instead lol

Brett
24th May 2011, 05:05 PM
Sorry people, Like I said to the mods I had forgotten about it.

My intention is to find 2-5 people who would be interested in being sponsored and then have the members vote on who we choose. If the consensus is that they want spoonz or kong to be considered then they will be part of the vote but I am hoping to have a few (possibly known) extra to add to the final vote.

How we do it is still being discussed but my idea I have put forward is we have a entry price to be a part of it (25 has been mentioned) you can pay that price as many times as you like and the total money will be passed on to the player. The main stipulation I have though is that the player gives something back to the site. A badge on the shirt is the easiest but Id like to see them doing a bit of a write up and Q&A for us as well.

Im at work untill 9 tonight but i have 2 days off after this and I promise I will get something done during then

closey30
24th May 2011, 07:26 PM
that was my plan anyway but the BDO is alot of travelling so could be hard so was goin for top 10 in the grand prix instead lol

Will let you off then but we want you to be on the pdc so you have a chnace to be on the tele more lol

jte146
24th May 2011, 07:36 PM
Not looking for any sponsorship or anything but I would be happy to wear a badge in the UK Open for the forum if it promotes the site. I have had some useful advice and enjoyment from the forum and it would be nice to give something back.

viking
24th May 2011, 08:10 PM
Not looking for any sponsorship or anything but I would be happy to wear a badge in the UK Open for the forum if it promotes the site. I have had some useful advice and enjoyment from the forum and it would be nice to give something back.

You sir are a true gent http://archive.simjunkies.org/Smileys/SJ_Smileys_02/hats_off.gifhttp://archive.simjunkies.org/Smileys/SJ_Smileys_02/hats_off.gif Thats completely up to you if you wish to do that mate but it would be great to see the name of the forum on a player during the tournament.

closey30
24th May 2011, 08:14 PM
Agreed well done Jte146, best of luck mate !

jte146
24th May 2011, 08:21 PM
Like I said. It would be nice to give something back. My only question is, anybody any ideas where I get a badge from? I presume it would have to be one of those velcro ones as it's got to be approved by the PDC at registration. That shouldn't be a probelm as a mate of mine was playing in it last year and had his mates company on his shirt.

viking
24th May 2011, 08:29 PM
Like I said. It would be nice to give something back. My only question is, anybody any ideas where I get a badge from? I presume it would have to be one of those velcro ones as it's got to be approved by the PDC at registration. That shouldn't be a probelm as a mate of mine was playing in it last year and had his mates company on his shirt.

Leave it with me and let me see what I can do and I'll get back to you.

Steve Metalman
24th May 2011, 08:29 PM
I dont think there is a badge as such.

I made a sticker on my printer one time which I wore at the St Martins open in case I bumped into anyone from here.

Giraffe
24th May 2011, 08:36 PM
I want a darts forum badge for myself!

viking
24th May 2011, 08:38 PM
I dont think there is a badge as such.

I made a sticker on my printer one time which I wore at the St Martins open in case I bumped into anyone from here.

You can get them we used them a lot when we was younger for back packs, football shirts and a few other things. I'll have a look now.

jte146
24th May 2011, 08:43 PM
We had a load of shirts printed this year for the Dutch Open at a local printers. I'll pop in there sometime this week and see if he can come up with something.

Brett
24th May 2011, 09:10 PM
If people are interested in some kind of badge then I may look into getting some ordered that we can sell/give to players

hightower
24th May 2011, 09:12 PM
Why don't we all get a darts forum tattoo?

Giraffe
24th May 2011, 09:25 PM
I dont like needles.

Missed!
24th May 2011, 09:25 PM
Why don't we all get a darts forum tattoo?

whereabouts?

Stran
24th May 2011, 09:26 PM
If people are interested in some kind of badge then I may look into getting some ordered that we can sell/give to players

id buy a badge

viking
24th May 2011, 09:26 PM
I dont like needles.

tattoos are therapeutic IMO if my work allowed I'd have my sleeves done.

Giraffe
24th May 2011, 09:27 PM
id buy a badge

Me too.

Steady Eddie
24th May 2011, 11:56 PM
I'd buy a couple of badges and put them on shirts i use for darts to promote the site deffo

Spoonz
25th May 2011, 08:46 AM

U may wanna speak to Rileys about that mate cause your there representing them and they may not appreciate another advertisement on there shirt

Brett
26th May 2011, 12:49 AM
Not an awful lot of progress today but progress non the less.

We are just trying to finalise what we will be offering (and what we would want back) the player we sponsor and we are then going to formulate a list.

Im hoping for 5 names to have on the shortlist, with each person giving a little paragraph on what it will mean and what they will offer, for the forum to vote on and at the same time opening an account to put the money into for the kitty.

I just need to know how many people are GENUINELY going to put money towards it, if we end up with 4 people putting 25 in then we will look like a bit of a joke but 10,20,30 will be a propper sponsorship that the forum, and the player will be proud of.

Brett
26th May 2011, 12:51 AM
Also, I want to speak to Gary and Wayne about this in person next week so you can appreciate that its not going to be rolling until after the UK open for the pure fact that for me to get to Bolton is a 2 hour drive and my next day off is for the UK open. Although I have asked Viking for some help this week.

Hazza
26th May 2011, 01:05 AM
I don't know if you wan't it on this thread or on the one you star once your sorted but I will definitely put in.

Brett
26th May 2011, 01:17 AM
A heads up on here would be nice as Im going to be putting it all together between now and a week on Monday so If I know how many will be definitely contributing then I can give a heads up to the people I speak to.

RNLarry
26th May 2011, 07:20 AM
How about the forum design a badge? Hey could that be a possible thread?

Steve Metalman
26th May 2011, 07:52 AM
Nice Idea Larry, but I'd be inclined to go with the forums logo as that is our brand or trade mark, and is easily recognisable.
Or even just plain text in the forums font

RNLarry
26th May 2011, 07:58 AM
Nice Idea Larry, but I'd be inclined to go with the forums logo as that is our brand or trade mark, and is easily recognisable.
Or even just plain text in the forums font
It would be nice to be able to buy them or can we? I definetly would put one on my shirt.

Steve Metalman
26th May 2011, 08:11 AM
This is a rough draft of what I'd consider suitable

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j322/Steve-Metalman/dartscorner/DFBadge.png

RNLarry
26th May 2011, 09:08 AM
This is a rough draft of what I'd consider suitable

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j322/Steve-Metalman/dartscorner/DFBadge.png
Works for me, but maybe some crossed darts would add a touch hey

Giraffe
26th May 2011, 09:25 AM
Steve that design is fantastic, its perfect.

Steve Metalman
26th May 2011, 09:33 AM
I'll get my sewing machine out ha ha

RNLarry
26th May 2011, 09:33 AM
I'll get my sewing machine out ha ha
Two for me pleeze lol

Giraffe
26th May 2011, 09:45 AM
And two for me and a few in sticker form please.

Steve Metalman
26th May 2011, 09:54 AM
And two for me and a few in sticker form please.

Ooo a Variety pack

Nato
31st May 2011, 02:40 PM
Ill be in for a share.

is 25 the figure we are looking at? Is the scope there for people to buy 2 or more shares?

RNLarry
1st June 2011, 03:42 PM
Are we sponsering a player or what?

viking
1st June 2011, 04:13 PM
Are we sponsering a player or what?

Good things come to those that wait larry :biggrinodf: This is something that will be happening but at the moment we are looking at ways to raise the profile of the site that's not goin to be a big outlay in the first instance. This is in the pipeline and should take off very soon, I'm going to have a chat with Brett about it over the weekend and see what the next step is buts let's just say we have some plans.

RNLarry
1st June 2011, 04:16 PM
Good things come to those that wait larry :Biggrinodf: This is something that will be happening but at the moment we are looking at ways to raise the profile of the site that's not goin to be a big outlay in the first instance. This is in the pipeline and should take off very soon, I'm going to have a chat with Brett about it over the weekend and see what the next step is buts let's just say we have some plans.
Great, thanks for the update:biggrinodf:

Steady Eddie
6th June 2011, 03:21 AM
Are we any Closer to working out who will get Sponsership from the Forum??????

Steve Metalman
6th June 2011, 04:46 AM
Not really,These things take time and cant be rushed into willy nilly.

After seeing how well DC's Joe Murnan did in the UK Open, he's caught my eye
But thats just my opinion so dont read too much into it.
It would be cool if he joined the forum though

Spoonz
6th June 2011, 09:00 AM
Not really,These things take time and cant be rushed into willy nilly.

After seeing how well DC's Joe Murnan did in the UK Open, he's caught my eye
But thats just my opinion so dont read too much into it.
It would be cool if he joined the forum though

If that tops went in be my name in That sentence lol

Tbh think this is gonna take alot longer then ppl reliese u don't just wanna be giving money to any Tom dick or Harry it will take at least 6 months and if it's serious u may even want to get a contract written up to make sure both parties keep to the deal

Nato
6th June 2011, 11:20 AM
Tbh think this is gonna take alot longer then ppl reliese u don't just wanna be giving money to any Tom daffodil or Harry it will take at least 6 months and if it's serious u may even want to get a contract written up to make sure both parties keep to the deal

True spoonz. I know people keep mentioning Spoonz, Kong, or other forum members etc. But fundamentaly the majority of people voted for a PDC player. So therefore thats where we got to be looking. If i were the guys organising this organise it with the plan of having the vote for the player post world champs and Q-school. with the collection of money happening from start of November through to then, So people can plan around Christmas etc.

RNLarry
6th June 2011, 01:00 PM
Well who is up for nomination?

Steve Metalman
6th June 2011, 01:53 PM
If that tops went in be my name in That sentence lol

Tbh think this is gonna take alot longer then ppl reliese u don't just wanna be giving money to any Tom daffodil or Harry it will take at least 6 months and if it's serious u may even want to get a contract written up to make sure both parties keep to the deal

No doubt you would have been a contender Spoonz, and you are very popular with us on the forum.
However I was thinking, Joe already is set up with DC and the infrastructure is in place to carry him forward.
In fact I didn't know DC was sponsoring Joe until you were drawn against him, and somebody said he was a DC sponsored player.
I dont know who else DC are sponsoring if any.

Spoonz
6th June 2011, 02:07 PM
True spoonz. I know people keep mentioning Spoonz, Kong, or other forum members etc. But fundamentaly the majority of people voted for a PDC player. So therefore thats where we got to be looking. If i were the guys organising this organise it with the plan of having the vote for the player post world champs and Q-school. with the collection of money happening from start of November through to then, So people can plan around Christmas etc.

Yea your right plus if the money is for someone to go to Q school I wouldn't accept it anyways I think this should be paid out the players pocket has there is no return on the investor and if the player is good enough they will take it our there own pocket no worries me for example wen I won the Cheltenham open I put the winnings straight into an account to pay for Q school next year there is an awful lot of thinking that needs to go into it another thing is what do the people puttin the money in the pot should get a say in everything to who gets it and what they want outta it

Steve Metalman
6th June 2011, 02:13 PM
Exactly.
Its not a simple case of pick a player. theres quite a lot involved.
Its not something for the faint hearted to enter in to.

Nato
6th June 2011, 02:20 PM
Exactly.
Its not a simple case of pick a player. theres quite a lot involved.
Its not something for the faint hearted to enter in to.

You can at this level, someone putting in 25 etc. I had a few messages with a coupl of people about the possibility of a small group of people sponsoring a player at a slightly higher rate etc etc. Had some intresting feedback.

closey30
6th June 2011, 02:20 PM

The thing is how much money can this forum offer for a pdc player. We certainly couldnt offer sponsorship to say a top 20 player as many of their current sponsors will be giving more than we can offer and no disrepect to this forum but more renown profit making businesses.

The reason i thought of spoonz is because its a good idea to sponsor a regular user (the 180's thread is his lol) and someone who will give direct feedback. With floor events every other week for durations of the year then it can be a real eye opener. spoonz has the ability as seen by the uk therefore if he getshis head down we could sponsor him for q-school

I just think this will be a better option as a higher ranked pdc player, and it couldstart enxt year with him at q-school and see how it goes, give it a trail run

Nato
8th June 2011, 01:06 PM
The thing is how much money can this forum offer for a pdc player. We certainly couldnt offer sponsorship to say a top 20 player as many of their current sponsors will be giving more than we can offer and no disrepect to this forum but more renown profit making businesses.

The reason i thought of spoonz is because its a good idea to sponsor a regular user (the 180's thread is his lol) and someone who will give direct feedback. With floor events every other week for durations of the year then it can be a real eye opener. spoonz has the ability as seen by the uk therefore if he getshis head down we could sponsor him for q-school

I just think this will be a better option as a higher ranked pdc player, and it couldstart enxt year with him at q-school and see how it goes, give it a trail run

I dont think the money the forum gives will ever be a "main sponsor" for a player. More like a secondary sponsor, or allow them to get going on the tour etc.

If spoonz was to qualify for the PDC Tour next year, by all means my vote is with him.

Spoonz
8th June 2011, 01:23 PM
I dont think the money the forum gives will ever be a "main sponsor" for a player. More like a secondary sponsor, or allow them to get going on the tour etc.

If spoonz was to qualify for the PDC Tour next year, by all means my vote is with him.

It's my goal anyways lol

Dicie
8th June 2011, 02:31 PM
At least your thinking ahead.

Some lads at this yrs TQ school, went and had no plan of what to do if they got a tour card, which a few of them did.

All well and good having a tour card. Its still 200 a weekend entrys, its still 80 for a hotel, its still 100 average travel, still gotta eat and drink (if u do drrink)

Brett
8th June 2011, 02:52 PM
Im listening to everything thats being said and taking it in.

There have been a lot of talks in the background about this but nothing substantial enough yet to put something forward to you all.

Brett
8th June 2011, 02:55 PM

At the minute all of the above are being considered (including a couple of PDC names)

I hope people arnt expecting a top 16-32 player though, this is our first attempt at doing this and we are not going to get enough money into this to even tempt a top PDC play to give us the return for our money that we want. The player I have in my head to add to the list is in the 50s of the PDC rankings alongside others but like I said I havent even approached anybody yet because we havent agreed on our terms.

Nato
8th June 2011, 03:14 PM
At the minute all of the above are being considered (including a couple of PDC names)

I hope people arnt expecting a top 16-32 player though, this is our first attempt at doing this and we are not going to get enough money into this to even tempt a top PDC play to give us the return for our money that we want. The player I have in my head to add to the list is in the 50s of the PDC rankings alongside others but like I said I havent even approached anybody yet because we havent agreed on our terms.

All i hope is that its someone who genuinally requires help, genuinally wants to move forward with there game and will offer something to this community.

RNLarry
8th June 2011, 03:32 PM
Well if it comes to a vote I vote for Spoonz cuz he is a member of the forum and gives feedback.

TROUBLEAGAIN
8th June 2011, 03:48 PM
I remember paying into something similar a few years ago - I had a few quid spare at the time it was interesting following the said player for a while even though i didnt vote for him.

Brett
8th June 2011, 03:49 PM
All i hope is that its someone who genuinally requires help, genuinally wants to move forward with there game and will offer something to this community.

Me to, if we go too far up the rankings, then the money isnt to help the person and they wont give as much back, it will purely be a badge on a top players shirt.

closey30
8th June 2011, 03:59 PM
Me to, if we go too far up the rankings, then the money isnt to help the person and they wont give as much back, it will purely be a badge on a top players shirt.

why i feel sponsoring a lad on here tbh, like larr and i said before we can recieve daily feedbac and help the players with tournemants etc. If we cant realy sponsor a top 32 ranked playerthan where better to give someon like spoonz a chance sometime next year with q-school etc available. If its ouside the top 32 then the chances of getting the name on the tele is slim anyways so a forum user for me

Nato
8th June 2011, 04:19 PM
why i feel sponsoring a lad on here tbh, like larr and i said before we can recieve daily feedbac and help the players with tournemants etc. If we cant realy sponsor a top 32 ranked playerthan where better to give someon like spoonz a chance sometime next year with q-school etc available. If its ouside the top 32 then the chances of getting the name on the tele is slim anyways so a forum user for me

I think what some people are missing is that a stipulation of whoever gets the sponosor money will become a member of the forum and have to feedback. And proobably have a section similar to Kongs etc etc. Im not knocking Spoonz, or saying that I wouldnt vote for him, but I am sure there will be "rules" that the said player would have to adhere to. At the end of the day we couldnt excpect spoonz to be on here everyday telling us exactly what he is doing when we also excpect him to make a go at the Pro tour etc.

Not naming other sites or names, but i beleive other players that have been sponsored along similar lines to this have gone on to make numourous appearances on TV.

JEDI
8th June 2011, 04:26 PM
what about the forum champion, Vandavoon, he's an active member and won the last 2 of the forum meets............................................. ....

RNLarry
8th June 2011, 04:46 PM
what about the forum champion, Vandavoon, he's an active member and won the last 2 of the forum meets............................................. ....
I like the V too . Am standing by my vote with Spooz if there is a vote? I mean I don't know this Joe gentleman, am sure he is a good guy but in my opinion Spoonz has been here a lot and contributes to the forum. Am sure Joe will join hopefully?
Soooo its SPOONZ FOR ME!!!!!!

closey30
8th June 2011, 05:42 PM
I think what some people are missing is that a stipulation of whoever gets the sponosor money will become a member of the forum and have to feedback. And proobably have a section similar to Kongs etc etc. Im not knocking Spoonz, or saying that I wouldnt vote for him, but I am sure there will be "rules" that the said player would have to adhere to. At the end of the day we couldnt excpect spoonz to be on here everyday telling us exactly what he is doing when we also excpect him to make a go at the Pro tour etc.

Not naming other sites or names, but i beleive other players that have been sponsored along similar lines to this have gone on to make numourous appearances on TV.

who could we target though to sponsor, the only point i was making was that someone like spoonz comes on here alot and will not just come on because are sponsoring him.

Give spoonz a trial say, see how he does around q-school if he gets a good run and nearly or does qualify then give him a chace.Sounds better than targeting someone who we dont know

Steady Eddie
8th June 2011, 05:46 PM
I like Vandavoon but like Larry would like to stick with my original vote of Spoonz.

He was my vote from the beginning and was unlucky at the Uk Open. Feel he puts a lot into the Fourm currently and will continue to do with the Sponser.

SPOONZ ALL THE WAY

Nato
9th June 2011, 09:06 AM
who could we target though to sponsor, the only point i was making was that someone like spoonz comes on here alot and will not just come on because are sponsoring him.

Give spoonz a trial say, see how he does around q-school if he gets a good run and nearly or does qualify then give him a chace.Sounds better than targeting someone who we dont know

Those in the know, Brett, and others organising this will undoubtedly have contacts of people who may want to take part in the vote. I am also sure word will get around the darts scene if players here a darts forum are potentially offering 1,000+ in sponsorship. Were assuming a lot with spoonz, so far only a few people have actually said they want spoonz. over 80 people have voted on this thread now. The majority of people who have voted want a PDC player, spoonz is not a PDC player......yet, and this next years Q-School could be extremely tough going. You cant just give someone a trial, what are you trialling them on?? heres all the money, go and spend it, but if you dont make it we will have it all back and give it to someone else.

JEDI
9th June 2011, 09:22 AM
not being funny people but to donate hard cash and to only see a blog as a result is asking alot, while in principle it sounds a great idea, when reality hits and people cannot give as much as they thought they could then it may crash and burn, also with any sponsership a contract would need to be drawn up and unfortunately im struggling to see how this venture would work in the long term without somesort of reliable revenue and a rock solid commitment from all participating, sorry to put a downer on the whole thing but i just cant see this working

closey30
9th June 2011, 09:29 AM
Those in the know, Brett, and others organising this will undoubtedly have contacts of people who may want to take part in the vote. I am also sure word will get around the darts scene if players here a darts forum are potentially offering 1,000+ in sponsorship. Were assuming a lot with spoonz, so far only a few people have actually said they want spoonz. over 80 people have voted on this thread now. The majority of people who have voted want a PDC player, spoonz is not a PDC player......yet, and this next years Q-School could be extremely tough going. You cant just give someone a trial, what are you trialling them on?? heres all the money, go and spend it, but if you dont make it we will have it all back and give it to someone else.

Atrial through q-school at the start of the year, all i asking was who are we going to target, could anyone throw afew names around

cmcgrory
9th June 2011, 09:34 AM

Vandavoon despite being a mate (on and offline) isn't good enought to get through Q School, he has won 1 forum KO and been in the final for another but if we use that record I have never failed to make it to at least the quater finals and I know I'm not good enough for Q School.

Nato
9th June 2011, 09:56 AM
Atrial through q-school at the start of the year, all i asking was who are we going to target, could anyone throw afew names around

But i dont understand where youve got this trial thing from? Spoonz has already said he has the money to play in the q-school and doesnt want any other help for it, and i really cant see anyone wanting to sit down between days and have to right a blog.

Spoonz has said he plans to go to it, and i wish him all the best for it and hope he succeeds.

JEDI
9th June 2011, 10:13 AM
all the best spoonz............... (sorry guys but i wont be putting any cash into it if it goes ahead)

Dicie
9th June 2011, 10:47 AM
If people who invest in it want some sort of financial gain, then it is the wrong thing to try and get involved with for starters. Sponsorship should be about trying to give a player a leg up into comps he wud not normally be able to attend, and further his playing career, yes a small contract cud be drawn up stating 10% (figure pulled from the air) of any winnings goes into the next players sponsorship. 1,000 wud not last 2 weekends within the pdc, thats a fact, and apart from the entry fees the bdo is as dear if not dearer.

But if its a return on your investment your looking for then your wasting your time.

Dicie
9th June 2011, 10:48 AM
But i dont understand where youve got this trial thing from? Spoonz has already said he has the money to play in the q-school and doesnt want any other help for it, and i really cant see anyone wanting to sit down between days and have to right a blog.

Spoonz has said he plans to go to it, and i wish him all the best for it and hope he succeeds.

Can i ask, like i did of others that attended this yrs TQ school, what use is having a tour card if you cant afford to do the tour???

JEDI
9th June 2011, 11:22 AM
can i ask, like i did of others that attended this yrs tq school, what use is having a tour card if you cant afford to do the tour???

exactley, TO PLAY THE TOUR I HEARD A MINIMUM OF AROUND 20,000 IS REQUIRED

Dicie
9th June 2011, 11:56 AM

I think that is a bit much, with no vegas this yr and if u dont do Oz and canada, and book well in advance savings (big ones) can be made. Find someone to room with, other small things can be saved upon..

I think living in the uk that 12k wud cover an huge amount of the tour

Spoonz
9th June 2011, 12:09 PM
Before i reply yo all these comments i would just like to say by all means i DO NOT come on here to get sponsorships i was lucky to the fact that ppl mentioned me wen this all come about if this happens or not i will still be about thats why im here cause i like this forum alot more then any others i been on :)

At least your thinking ahead.

Some lads at this yrs TQ school, went and had no plan of what to do if they got a tour card, which a few of them did.

All well and good having a tour card. Its still 200 a weekend entrys, its still 80 for a hotel, its still 100 average travel, still gotta eat and drink (if u do drrink)

if u do it proper and have friends who do it aswell its not that bad average weekend would cost me about 300 which isnt that bad seeming 200 of that is the entrance is all about havbing a plan for it
i know a few ppl to and i think its ridicolous not to plan past the Q school

Thats exactly what u got to have i can go to a pro tour approach anyone there say here wanna be sponsored and thats gonna be the only reason there around i call it chasing money lol

theres no need for a trail mate im goin to Q school regardless and have 6 months to be ready for it, the way i look at it if u dont put yourself out there u aint gonna get no where, i could easily sit here and post up compele shit get sponsorship money and dissaper which it seems some ppl think will happen i was here way beofre the thread started and be here way after it aswell lol

You do no u dont have to physically give the player money for example a deal of such could be right spoonz will pay for just your hotels there is no need to give me the money to do that u can do that over the phone with whoever is in charge of the money i think ppl could be jumping the gun abit and think all sorts of crazy stuff lol

not being funny people but to donate hard cash and to only see a blog as a result is asking alot, while in principle it sounds a great idea, when reality hits and people cannot give as much as they thought they could then it may crash and burn, also with any sponsership a contract would need to be drawn up and unfortunately im struggling to see how this venture would work in the long term without somesort of reliable revenue and a rock solid commitment from all participating, sorry to put a downer on the whole thing but i just cant see this working

It can easily work long term u could have just 1k and that could sponsor a player for a whole year it all depends on what you want to pay for if it was just 1k u could just sponsor 10 events at 100 a year and any decent respectable player will advertise for the whole year regardless i advertise my bosses company everywhere but yet he dosnt give me as penny i do it cause he gives me the time of work i need to do all the grand prix tournamnets etc
And also on thew blog side of things i do my blog for my benefit to see hopw i been doing and i post it on here so ppl can see if theres anything that could help them no other reason

theres millions of ppls names u could say i could speak to a fair smount of players (seeming browners dubby and bob anderson arfe very good mates of mine only gotta ask them to get in contact with someone for me) but u gotta wanna sponsor someone thats gonna give has much has they recieve

If people who invest in it want some sort of financial gain, then it is the wrong thing to try and get involved with for starters. Sponsorship should be about trying to give a player a leg up into comps he wud not normally be able to attend, and further his playing career, yes a small contract cud be drawn up stating 10% (figure pulled from the air) of any winnings goes into the next players sponsorship. 1,000 wud not last 2 weekends within the pdc, thats a fact, and apart from the entry fees the bdo is as dear if not dearer.

But if its a return on your investment your looking for then your wasting your time.

I think your looking it at the wrong angle a player should put in has much of his own money has a sponsor does at a start of a career and also players should also look at other sponsors to ease the finacail strain on the early sponsors to be a good sucessfull player and sponsor u need to be helping each other out and not bein a one sided thing lol

Can i ask, like i did of others that attended this yrs TQ school, what use is having a tour card if you cant afford to do the tour???

Cause ppl thought if they got a tour card someone would just come aong and go heres 15k go to the tour tyhats what i believe anyways

no where near it i play in 2 teams with loads of PDC players and ex PDC players (Steve Brown, Mark Dudbridge, Sam Allen, Matt Draper, Matt Jackson, Bob Anderson) just to name a few and i have been given a rough figure of what i would need to do it on winning an average of 30% 1st round games (this is what most new ppl in the PDC should look at has 1 1st round game can pay for the entrance into the next event) oviously the figure will include money coming back in from other tournamnet wins (500 opens 200 opens) all this is what whoever u are goin to sponsor should have in mind i think

Spoonz
9th June 2011, 12:10 PM
I think that is a bit much, with no vegas this yr and if u dont do Oz and canada, and book well in advance savings (big ones) can be made. Find someone to room with, other small things can be saved upon..

I think living in the uk that 12k wud cover an huge amount of the tour

that would cover it all mate

Spoonz
9th June 2011, 12:12 PM
o and btw this is not a rant and everyone i was just clearing a few things up cause it was goin wayyy of subject and ppl getting carried away,

wen push comes to shove and if this happen the only real things thats gonna matter is the ppl who put there money in has these are the only ppl who get to vote and say what they want imo

JEDI
9th June 2011, 12:16 PM
like i said earlier, i wish you well fella, all the best

gorgeous ward
9th June 2011, 12:40 PM
exactley, to play the tour i heard a minimum of around 20,000 is required

and the rest!

cmcgrory
9th June 2011, 12:46 PM
Nice 1 Spoonz for clearing that up, on a side note I would be happy if any money I put in went to giving yourself, or any other player who was capable of doing something with it a helping hand.
I too have a few mates who are on the tour and know that in the current financial climate sponsorship is becoming harder to come by even for some players who are just in or just outside of the top 32.

Steve Metalman
9th June 2011, 01:08 PM
Spoonz was a member long before this subject came up, he never once tried to promote or encouraged speculation.

Thanks again for clearing a few things up Spoonz.
Its good to see some one with a realistic outlook.
In someways once you turn pro, darts is the last of your worrys.

Personally I have a high regard for Spoonz and as always wish him well for the future
So lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

JEDI
9th June 2011, 01:14 PM
Spoonz was a member long before this subject came up, he never once tried to promote or encouraged speculation.

Thanks again for clearing a few things up Spoonz.
Its good to see some one with a realistic outlook.
In someways once you turn pro, darts is the last of your worrys.

Personally I have a high regard for Spoonz and as always wish him well for the future
So lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

i do to m8, i just dont see the forum donation thing working thats all, im not trying to put a downer on anything just trying to see the pro's and con's, and unless it can be properly managed and done in a correct manner i cant see it working out, thats all.

Missed!
9th June 2011, 01:19 PM
What Steve said, good luck spoonz

Steve Metalman
9th June 2011, 01:26 PM
i do to m8, i just dont see the forum donation thing working thats all, im not trying to put a downer on anything just trying to see the pro's and con's, and unless it can be properly managed and done in a correct manner i cant see it working out, thats all.

I agree,
unfortunately all I can see is the difficulties.
In theory its a great idea and a wonderful gesture.
In practice its dealing with money and that can change the dynamics of any situation.

I blame the PDC :biggrinodf:

cmcgrory
9th June 2011, 01:42 PM
I agree,
unfortunately all I can see is the difficulties.
In theory its a great idea and a wonderful gesture.
In practice its dealing with money and that can change the dynamics of any situation.

I blame the PDC :biggrinodf:

Funny that, cause Barry Hearn said it was all Steve Metalmans's fault!! ;)

Steve Metalman
9th June 2011, 02:04 PM
Funny that, cause Barry Hearn said it was all Steve Metalmans's fault!! ;)
Ha ha.
I was told this too by the white persian cat who sits on Barrys lap whilst he plots world domination :biggrinodf:

Spoonz
9th June 2011, 02:06 PM
If u want ways for it to work I have some good ideas :) oviously I'll pm them
It can be done very simple

closey30
9th June 2011, 02:53 PM

what i meant as hep with that as it would be good sponsors for the site at q-school, what i mean was help to promote the darts corner forum at q-school, if spponz was to do well consider him is what i meant mate

closey30
9th June 2011, 03:00 PM
Before i reply yo all these comments i would just like to say by all means i DO NOT come on here to get sponsorships i was lucky to the fact that ppl mentioned me wen this all come about if this happens or not i will still be about thats why im here cause i like this forum alot more then any others i been on :)

if u do it proper and have friends who do it aswell its not that bad average weekend would cost me about 300 which isnt that bad seeming 200 of that is the entrance is all about havbing a plan for it
i know a few ppl to and i think its ridicolous not to plan past the Q school

Thats exactly what u got to have i can go to a pro tour approach anyone there say here wanna be sponsored and thats gonna be the only reason there around i call it chasing money lol

theres no need for a trail mate im goin to Q school regardless and have 6 months to be ready for it, the way i look at it if u dont put yourself out there u aint gonna get no where, i could easily sit here and post up compele shit get sponsorship money and dissaper which it seems some ppl think will happen i was here way beofre the thread started and be here way after it aswell lol

You do no u dont have to physically give the player money for example a deal of such could be right spoonz will pay for just your hotels there is no need to give me the money to do that u can do that over the phone with whoever is in charge of the money i think ppl could be jumping the gun abit and think all sorts of crazy stuff lol

It can easily work long term u could have just 1k and that could sponsor a player for a whole year it all depends on what you want to pay for if it was just 1k u could just sponsor 10 events at 100 a year and any decent respectable player will advertise for the whole year regardless i advertise my bosses company everywhere but yet he dosnt give me as penny i do it cause he gives me the time of work i need to do all the grand prix tournamnets etc
And also on thew blog side of things i do my blog for my benefit to see hopw i been doing and i post it on here so ppl can see if theres anything that could help them no other reason

theres millions of ppls names u could say i could speak to a fair smount of players (seeming browners dubby and bob anderson arfe very good mates of mine only gotta ask them to get in contact with someone for me) but u gotta wanna sponsor someone thats gonna give has much has they recieve

I think your looking it at the wrong angle a player should put in has much of his own money has a sponsor does at a start of a career and also players should also look at other sponsors to ease the finacail strain on the early sponsors to be a good sucessfull player and sponsor u need to be helping each other out and not bein a one sided thing lol

Cause ppl thought if they got a tour card someone would just come aong and go heres 15k go to the tour tyhats what i believe anyways

no where near it i play in 2 teams with loads of PDC players and ex PDC players (Steve Brown, Mark Dudbridge, Sam Allen, Matt Draper, Matt Jackson, Bob Anderson) just to name a few and i have been given a rough figure of what i would need to do it on winning an average of 30% 1st round games (this is what most new ppl in the PDC should look at has 1 1st round game can pay for the entrance into the next event) oviously the figure will include money coming back in from other tournamnet wins (500 opens 200 opens) all this is what whoever u are goin to sponsor should have in mind i think

what i meant was by trial was sponsor your q-school funds and see where it takes you, as people said they wanted a pdc player so i thought if you were to qualify then alot more people would be on board however i realise this isnt the best idea now lol.

also i didnt realise it was just lads putting money in out of there pocket i thought it was the forum and darts corners backing so my apoligies for that lads

Spoonz
9th June 2011, 03:07 PM
what i meant was by trial was sponsor your q-school funds and see where it takes you, as people said they wanted a pdc player so i thought if you were to qualify then alot more people would be on board however i realise this isnt the best idea now lol.

also i didnt realise it was just lads putting money in out of there pocket i thought it was the forum and darts corners backing so my apoligies for that lads

Yea I know what u meant but has I said I think they should pay for q school them selfs I will pit money into It even if I'm in with a shout lol

Yea that's why I wanted to clear up all the confusion lol

UlsterPaul
9th June 2011, 03:24 PM
Spoonz am I right in thinking you get hee haw for losing in the first round on tour, and 200 for losing in the 2nd Round?

hang the dj
9th June 2011, 03:56 PM
Spoonz am I right in thinking you get hee haw for losing in the first round on tour, and 200 for losing in the 2nd Round?

I know you asked spoonz but you are correct

closey30
9th June 2011, 04:13 PM
Yea I know what u meant but has I said I think they should pay for q school them selfs I will pit money into It even if I'm in with a shout lol

Yea that's why I wanted to clear up all the confusion lol

Sorry mate i was missing point, bit off topic but what standard will you want to meet before q-school, set any goals ?

UlsterPaul
9th June 2011, 04:22 PM
This maybe is the wrong thread to ask this, but is there a financial reason for the PDC having their tour all over the country?

With no fans at each venue, where do they make their money? I understand having the tour events in places the majors are taking place(Dublin etc) or in Europe but would it not be more cost effective for the PDC and the players if the bulk were all played at the one central venue?

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this but I don't see what the venues get out of staging them and vice versa.

Spoonz
9th June 2011, 06:44 PM
Sorry mate i was missing point, bit off topic but what standard will you want to meet before q-school, set any goals ?

yea win more opens and get more consistant with the 30+ averages i'll 3 or 4 games at 30+ then have a 25 in between has a few ppl told all im lacking is the consitantly over real long periods

Steve Metalman
9th June 2011, 06:52 PM
Oh dear I see a theme developing lol

Try this place :biggrinodf:
consistencyinabottle.com

TROUBLEAGAIN
9th June 2011, 07:03 PM
This maybe is the wrong thread to ask this, but is there a financial reason for the PDC having their tour all over the country?

With no fans at each venue, where do they make their money? I understand having the tour events in places the majors are taking place(Dublin etc) or in Europe but would it not be more cost effective for the PDC and the players if the bulk were all played at the one central venue?

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this but I don't see what the venues get out of staging them and vice versa.

The short answer is the Premier league.

closey30
9th June 2011, 08:21 PM
yea win more opens and get more consistant with the 30+ averages i'll 3 or 4 games at 30+ then have a 25 in between has a few ppl told all im lacking is the consitantly over real long periods

Yeah suppose you need to average 90 plus todo anything in the pdc, a lad i know was saying if you cant through 15 darts on your throw you could be in trouble even early on

Nato
10th June 2011, 01:30 PM

As said they get the money for the Pro Tour from thr PL, and other majors (Last year the PDC announced they went thorough the 1miliion fort ickets at both the PL and Worlds.)

In terms of centralising it, the PDC have over recent years, theyve scrapped a lot of the events they held several years ago and centralised things to 4 venues, Crawley, Derby, Wigan and Barnsley. Each seem to hold about 3 weekends. What each venue does, ie Accomadation etc i dont know, but i assume they must get everyones drink money, and food, and probably get a nice earner from PDC for hosting

Dave1969
22nd July 2011, 07:40 AM
How about our very own Ben Ward?

Spoonz
22nd July 2011, 12:03 PM
How about our very own Ben Ward?

The vote was for a pdc player

RNLarry
22nd July 2011, 12:26 PM
Damn I would like for this to work and once again I want "The Spoooooooooooooooooooooonz" LOL

Dave1969
23rd July 2011, 08:41 AM
You heard him, Ben. Switch over!

Wazza
6th August 2011, 11:33 AM
I voted for young BDO player

Why you ask is an Aussie voting for a young player & a BDO player at that? Got to remember people, they are the champions of tomorrow and like the DFA here in OZ the BDO have the grass roots system.. unlike the PDC... thats about the only thing I like about the BDO & DFA.. they have programes to bring up junior players.

Nato
9th August 2011, 02:41 PM
I voted for young BDO player

Why you ask is an Aussie voting for a young player & a BDO player at that? Got to remember people, they are the champions of tomorrow and like the DFA here in OZ the BDO have the grass roots system.. unlike the PDC... thats about the only thing I like about the BDO & DFA.. they have programes to bring up junior players.

Wazza, it may be the case in the DFA but the BDO has seen a bit of criticism over here for its youth policy and infact the PDC have been given praise, even from BDO quarters of its new youth tour (u21s) that it has introduced this year.

What do you know about Guy Holland, I think he looks like a potential qualifer for the PDC U21 world champs??

Venigoor
14th August 2011, 07:57 PM
Spoonz and Ben Ward are two great players. I wish them the best. And I think that you have the potential and capacity to be great PDC-players. And if I'm not totally wrong I will get to see you Spoonz at the World Masters now in September? It will be a fun experience for me, and if you are in then you will do good :)

Cheers from Sweden :)

force666
17th August 2011, 12:38 PM
has/did/is this going anywhere or has it gotten there or has it died of death a read the first 2 pages and lost the will to live soon after ?

i would appreciate a response but im not wading through 12 pages to find its petered out :rolleyesodf:

fyi i suggest supporting "your/our" own or combine the 2 as quite obviously if they post on here you will A) great their input match reviews breakdowns of progress etc b) a good idea of exactly what and where your cash is going or has gone c) the thanks and gratitude of the individual more often as a regular poster :winkodf:

i recall clements was after money and more recently gorgeous ward i suggest we look after our own before banding ideas about throwing money at mardle ?? (why ? he has and probably will have paid exo bookings coming out of his ears for maybe the next 5 years, not to mention he will be paid for his commentating) or walshy i dont think hes in need as he has ability in spades and shows it on the floor and is bringing it more onto the telly so cant be shy a few quid surely (there maybe others better informed than i so i concede to their knowedge if im wrong :coolodf: )

let us also not forget that realistically the money raised will not be in the thousands (if it is no one will be happier to hold their hands up and admit they were wrong trust me) but we are talking say a couple of hundred quid now to me this strengthens my argument for a young player to get the nod, i would suggest everyone say age 20 plus has at least x1 mate or family member who could sub them 200quid, whereas someone 15-19 ?? apart from family i would struggle to believe that his 16 year old mate could sub him 200 notes unless he had been saving his pocket money for the past 10 years.

anyways ive made my points is this dead or not ? thanks :winkodf:

force666
17th August 2011, 12:40 PM
plus i havent voted due to there not being a suitable category

Steve Metalman
17th August 2011, 01:51 PM
I think its dead, Force.
Obviously not my decision to knock it on the head
But to put it frankly,
Although it was an admirable idea to start with, we havent got the infrastructure to run it.

Probably good you've raised it, so we can put it to bed

force666
17th August 2011, 03:02 PM
the only problem i see tbh is getting people to agree which from experience is like trying to plait piss :rolleyesodf:

otherwise pick a "project" set up a generic paypal account which say for sake of argument you control/own (because i for one trust you and would suggest others would be idiotic not to) and anyone who wishes to donate sends to your personal paypal then you forward to the generic account accordingly, once the funds/sufficient funds are in (timed donations say give each choice a 2 month slot in which to receive donations) give the "project" the account and pass for the generic account et voila they have the funds taken out. after the individual has received funds change account pass and pick another lucky individual in a few months time repeat at will.

a fairly simple process if not a little rough around the edges but simplicity is key for some :cheekyodf:

Steve Metalman
17th August 2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, that means a lot :thumbsup1:

force666
17th August 2011, 03:29 PM
no worries :winkodf:

Spoonz
18th August 2011, 11:40 AM
Wouldn't give the project the PW who ever controls the account could easily pay for all the stuff that's needed to be paid for

Stran
18th August 2011, 12:16 PM
steve would defo be my choice for holding any money as well

gorgeous ward
18th August 2011, 01:32 PM
steve would defo be my choice for holding any money as well

agreed

RNLarry
18th August 2011, 04:08 PM
If it can be done Steve can do it! hey somebody check Steve for sticky fingers please LOL