PDA

View Full Version : Boxing thread

muncherdave
22nd December 2011, 12:53 AM
Anyone into boxing on here?

I watched Froch v Ward on saturday and Ward was excellent, fairplay to him even though I really wanted Froch to win. What I want to talk about (or rant about) right now though is the Amir Khan v Lamont Peterson bout from December 10th.

Peterson won by a point in a controversial bout where Khan was deducted 2 points for pushing Peterson away a lot.

Bit late but i just watched Khan v Peterson, what an absolute disgrace of a ref. Khan lost 2 points for pushing, why? Because he had no other choice. Every time the two fighters came together, instead of shouting break and splitting up the fighters, referee Joe Cooper (who makes Joe Cortez look good - what is it with referees called Joe?) tells them to fight it out, which is pretty hard for Khan to do considering Peterson is stuck to him like white on rice.

In round 7 Khan is docked a point, because wanting a bit of room to work when the referee won't call break he keeps pushing him away, what else can he do? From then and into the next couple of rounds Khan clearly feels like he can't do anything about it (just watch those rounds - it is not Khan trying to prove he can take punishment Jim Watt you bellend) to please the referee and Peterson has an easy couple of rounds loading up shots from an inch away. This is what I like to call both lazy and plain retarded refereeing, as it is giving a clear advantage to Peterson, who's tactics consist of barrel into Khan like he's Juggernaut from the X-Men. Not there is anything wrong with his tactics, they are legitimate considering Khan has a vast speed advantage and miles better than him on the outside, but you have to also concede that Khan has every right to clinch when he is within sweaty armpit range every few seconds. Nobody likes a clinchfest, but ffs how about some common sense. Way I see it, if you have the strength to push away a man that constantly barrels into you stopping you from doing any work, then you have every right to push them back, especially when the referee will not break you up and instead just tell you to punch out of a near impossible situation.

My prediction for a rematch - Khan wins by knockout. Yes you heard it, knockout. Why? Because if he is actually given a half decent ref who will actually allow fighters to clinch and break them up, it will give Khan the space he needs to go to work on Peterson and put him on his arse yet again, several times. And I'm not even a Khan fan.

Gary O Connor
22nd December 2011, 01:01 AM
Watch it from time to time but know nothing about it to be honest, had to use it a few times in my early teens to sort a few bullys out ;)

Dave Dart
22nd December 2011, 08:20 AM
Khans camp have appealed the decision and hoping it will be overturned. Can't see that happening but the board should order a rematch ASAP. I agree disgusting refereeing. The ref of the Froch fight even said it was lol.....................

TROUBLEAGAIN
22nd December 2011, 02:21 PM
Watched boxing more than i do now stayed up for the Froch fight how disappointing. - Ward despite a lack of big punch outclassed a very slow and predictable Froch . As for Khan the hype is a bit too much(hes aint an all time great) he should of finished Petersen off when he had the chance, more knowledgable fight fans than me make it close with many siding with the home fighter. A rematch will give Khan the chance to do show everyone it was wrong.
Britain lost a few World champions in 2011.

muncherdave
22nd December 2011, 03:11 PM
I don't have any qualms about the scoring, just the referee, he gave Peterson a big advantage in that fight. Look forward to a rematch if it happens (though I'm sure it will), but the IBF will not force a rematch

LOWTOWER
22nd December 2011, 06:13 PM
Khan is the most over rated boxer in the world right now.

I love it when we hype our boxers up to be world class and when they finally step in to the ring with someone semi-decent they get shown up for what they really are.

Oh to have the days when we had Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank slugging it out - two true world class boxers

JEDI
22nd December 2011, 07:29 PM
im from BOLTON and im so glad Khan lost.......................can't stand him and i never will, i always want the fighter he faces to do a Bradis Prescott on him, no sympathy from me i was glad Peterson won!! i hope his appeal goes Peterson way!!

muncherdave
23rd December 2011, 12:31 AM
In other news - Floyd Mayweather pled guilty to domestic violence and harassment charges against him and faces 90 days in jail with a $2,500 (chump change to him) fine and 100 hours community service. He won't get out of jail til April so it looks like the proposed Mayweather v Pacquiao fight in May won't happen (again).

Hopefully they'll love having a 'pretty boy' in jail, can't deny his incredible boxing skills but I can't stand him

Goofy
25th December 2011, 12:39 AM
I don't have any qualms about the scoring, just the referee, he gave Peterson a big advantage in that fight.

I agree about the refereeing being 'home favoured' but i still think Peterson deserved the result. I watched it again the next day with the sound turned down and i had Peterson winning by two rounds without any point deductions. Khan's a sore loser, his interview after the fight was a disgrace imho, made him look like an arrogant, spoilt little brat. The fact is Khan was repeatedly warned for pushing before he had any points deducted, Peterson took him out of his comfort zone and he didnt like it one bit........ there was no way LP was gonna win a boxing match, Khan's too quick for that - he had to turn it into a brawl. Just wish Cooper had refereed the FMJ - Hatton fight instead of that useless muppet Cortez....... Ricki might have had a chance if he was allowed to work up close.

Anyway - present day - Froch got his arse handed to him by a class boxer, Ward has super quick hands and great footwork, Froch only ever had a punchers chance but he never looked like landing a big shot at any point during the fight. Dunno where he goes from here........ the only big name in the division left for him is Bute and i think he'd have the same problems with him......... kinda disappointed Bute wasnt in the Super6, he'd have been far better value than an over-the-hill Glen Johnson....... or Abraham for that matter since he's not even a genuine SM.

Saw an American heavyweight on the Khan - Peterson undercard that looks a good prospect, Seth Mitchell. Athletic, big, powerful puncher, still a bit rough around the edges but looks like he could be a contender. Someone needs to beat Wlad, he's the most boring boxer on the planet.......... the German fans seem to love his jab, jab grab style though - beats me why!

Closer to home its been a great year for Ricky Burns! His performance against Katsidis was fantastic, best performance by a Scotsman since the days of Buchanan and Watt....... would love to see him tear it up with Kevin Mitchell next year!

muncherdave
25th December 2011, 01:41 AM
Pushing was his only resort to getting any room to work whatsoever though because of Coopers complete disregard for the break - separate rule (whether its an actual rule or just generally accepted from a boxing ref) . Now Khan may well have gotten points taken off for excessive holding instead if he got a decent ref, but the ref would separate the boxers enough to give Khan the room I think is all he needs to put him to bed, instead of constantly letting Peterson be within an inch of him and telling them to fight out of it. Khan will definitely go into the ring with a better gameplan for Petersons tactics a second time around anyway, providing it happens.

I didn't see the post match interview but by the sounds of it I kind of wish I had!

JEDI
25th December 2011, 11:05 AM
Pushing was his only resort to getting any room to work whatsoever though because of Coopers complete disregard for the break - separate rule (whether its an actual rule or just generally accepted from a boxing ref) . Now Khan may well have gotten points taken off for excessive holding instead if he got a decent ref, but the ref would separate the boxers enough to give Khan the room I think is all he needs to put him to bed, instead of constantly letting Peterson be within an inch of him and telling them to fight out of it. Khan will definitely go into the ring with a better gameplan for Petersons tactics a second time around anyway, providing it happens.

I didn't see the post match interview but by the sounds of it I kind of wish I had!

Khans an over rated Bum, i hope he dosent get another shot and then next person he fights smashes his glass jaw to bits!!!!

dannyd180
6th January 2012, 05:46 PM
Khans an over rated Bum, i hope he dosent get another shot and then next person he fights smashes his glass jaw to bits!!!!

Have to agree completely!!!!!

His recent complaints in the media about the controversy surrounding the scorecards is laughable, and to think he was talking about fighting Mayweather, give me a break. He got exposed again. Very sore loser and an average fighter IMO

muncherdave
6th January 2012, 08:26 PM
I have to disagree about him being average, but not with Mayweather being in a completely different league to him. Khan is a good fighter, but nowhere near that good. His jaw has also taken its fair share of punishment since Prescott I have to say.

F4tboy
6th January 2012, 08:37 PM
Khan may have a case with the scorecards.

Who is the guy in the hat and what was he doing?

dannyd180
6th January 2012, 10:46 PM
I agree that there could be a scorecard issue but he is just making himself look even more like a sore loser. I watched the fight and I think he lost fair and square, if he was the great fighter that he claims to be he would have knocked Peterson out, he did not and looked average at best. Khan has the best trainer in the world but there is only so much Roach can do. I am a big fan of boxing and boxed myself as an amateur, I do not however have any time for Khan, too big headed and doesn't have the fight to back his big mouth up. He is no longer world champion but keeps referring to the fact that he has offered Peterson a rematch, that is the job of the champ not the challenger!

Maco
7th January 2012, 12:24 AM
Major controversy now over the suspicious man talking to some of the officials, looks like some bribery could be involved

the gooch
27th January 2012, 09:55 PM
i love boxing have been watching it since i was little when steve collins was in classic bouts with benn and eubank.2 fighters that you should keep an eye out for in the next few years are mike perez and luis garcia,they are 2 cubans living in my hometown,they are awesome.

muncherdave
27th January 2012, 10:24 PM
ok gooch

oh and khan got his rematch - can't wait. so many haters saying he'll get beat again, don't think so chaps. might get decent odds for a bet or 3

JEDI
27th January 2012, 10:26 PM
ok gooch

oh and khan got his rematch - can't wait. so many haters saying he'll get beat again, don't think so chaps. might get decent odds for a bet or 3

Khans camp have paid Peterson off this time...................unfortunately.............. ...................

muncherdave
27th January 2012, 10:29 PM
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j322/Steve-Metalman/biggrin.gif

JEDI
27th January 2012, 10:35 PM
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j322/Steve-Metalman/biggrin.gif

the deal was Peterson keeps the IBF title but Khan takes the other titles back!!!!:winkodf::eekodf::eekodf::cheekyodf:

the gooch
27th January 2012, 10:59 PM
khan will win the rematch i think cos i think he took peterson likely in the first fight as he was overlooking him and thinking about a potential superfight with mayweather.

Martin 180
29th January 2012, 03:31 AM
Amir Khan the poor mans Naseem Hamed :)

the gooch
29th January 2012, 10:55 PM
well entertain wise thers no comparison,khan is boring as fuck i woudnt b a real fan of khans.Prince Naz was brilliant to watch,Emmanuel Steward said he was the best entertainer hed ever seen in boxing

the gooch
29th January 2012, 11:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=694LiryKH7k

watch the video very good

Martin71109
9th February 2012, 11:36 PM
just seen khan v peterson rematch is on may 19th in las vegas!

i recon khan will get his ar*e kicked again :rolleyesodf: :winkodf:

JohnBW83
10th February 2012, 06:58 AM
I think Khan will win the rematch. As said in a previous post and i have to agree that Khan overlooked this gut the first time around and came unstuck. Thid happened beforer with the defest to Prescott where Khan was taken out in round one. I do think Khan is a good young fighter but i dont think he has what i takes to beat the mayweathers or pac-man.

JEDI
10th February 2012, 09:32 AM
just seen khan v peterson rematch is on may 19th in las vegas!

i recon khan will get his ar*e kicked again :rolleyesodf: :winkodf:

i so hope he does I think he is a tool

JohnBW83
10th February 2012, 10:09 AM
I much prefer prize fighter

Martin71109
10th February 2012, 02:42 PM
I think Khan will win the rematch. As said in a previous post and i have to agree that Khan overlooked this gut the first time around and came unstuck. Thid happened beforer with the defest to Prescott where Khan was taken out in round one. I do think Khan is a good young fighter but i dont think he has what i takes to beat the mayweathers or pac-man.

not in the same league imo, i gotta agree with jedi's description of him

JohnBW83
10th February 2012, 03:55 PM
I agree not in the same league at all fella. Pac-man is the best i have seen.

Martin71109
10th February 2012, 04:12 PM
I agree not in the same league at all fella. Pac-man is the best i have seen.

the guy is a genuine warrior!
would like to see him and mayweather in the same ring but doubt it will happen

JohnBW83
10th February 2012, 04:16 PM
What would be an amazing contest. :)

muncherdave
10th February 2012, 05:46 PM
I think it will, eventually... It's going to get to the stage where it's the only big payday both are going to have left! The longer they leave it the bigger it will be

Khan is definitely not in Pacquiao or Mayweathers league, I don't think you'll find any unbiased people that would think otherwise

the gooch
19th February 2012, 04:51 PM
I feel Mayweather would beat pacman quiet easily he has the best defense argubaly ever seen in boxing,look at what mayweather did to juan manuel marquez he destroyed him for 12 rounds yet marquez defo beat pacman and didnt get the decision.Its getting boring at this stage whether they will fight or not its all down to pacmans promoter bob arum he wont leave his money machine get beaten and lose out on making massive money out of easier options.

Bigshow
19th February 2012, 06:15 PM
I feel Mayweather would beat pacman quiet easily he has the best defense argubaly ever seen in boxing,look at what mayweather did to juan manuel marquez he destroyed him for 12 rounds yet marquez defo beat pacman and didnt get the decision.Its getting boring at this stage whether they will fight or not its all down to pacmans promoter bob arum he wont leave his money machine get beaten and lose out on making massive money out of easier options.

Bob Arum said that the fight will definitely happen, he had hoped that it would be Mayweathers next fight but if not then it would be the first fight Floyd will have once he serves his 90 days in jail.

I agree with yourself, i think Floyds defence is `take the pee` good and he`ll counter punch the teeth out of Manny but it will no doubt be his toughest test throughout his career and if he wins probably his last.

the gooch
19th February 2012, 10:05 PM
ya id agree with ya bigshow however iv read that after fighting cotto mayweather has a verbal agreement that he will fight young mexican sensation saul alvarez sure ud neevr know with boxing lol

muncherdave
19th February 2012, 10:28 PM

Pacman hasn't looked himself the last couple of fights anyway, but for sure the favourite would have to be Mayweather winning on points. There's still that hope though, that somehow he can find the way in where others have failed. Mayweather has been rocked in several fights on occasion, but nobodys ever managed to build on it before, Pacquiao is the only real hope left of knocking him out.

Hustler
22nd February 2012, 05:21 PM
Amir Khan the poor mans Naseem Hamed :)

Ouch, Khan will be a better fighter than Naseem would ever have wished to be imo

Absolutely hated him lol

the gooch
15th March 2012, 06:36 PM
I dunno bout that mate prince nas only tatsed defeat to an all time great and pound for pound king in barrera,i just feel sad on the way prince naz left boxing way too young mainly down to family issues and his hatred of dieting all the time.Khan is a good fighter but he will neevr be good enough to beat mayweather or pacman even though they will never fight.