PDA

View Full Version : Weight vs Throw

the big dogg
4th January 2011, 04:24 PM
Chatting down the pub last night and we got on to weights and throws. It seemed a common perception that the lighter the dart thrown the better the throw. A heavier dart was deemed to be more forgiving as the weight hides any poor action in the throw whilst the lighter dart shows up any bad action and flies all over the place. I've only ever really thrown 24,25,26 gram darts but always wanted to try 21-22 gram darts as most of the pro's throw lighter arrows. There must be a reason, apart from a smaller dart to lipstick ratio. Maybe the fatigue of the arm is less too...

What do you guys think?

Steve Metalman
4th January 2011, 04:41 PM
Hi Bigg dogg.

Fatigue of the arm just comes from throwing and has no relation to the weight of the dart.

Its difficult to answer what is the ideal weight.
I wouldn't go for what a pro uses, although as a guide its useful as to what not to get as regards gimmicky items.

Its down to what suits the individual .
I'd been a 22 gram player for years, then had a problem with a hard dart board and the darts not sticking in, so bought some 24 gram darts.

I've been using 24 grams ever since.

All you can do is experiment through trial and error.
Some find changing to a lighter dart is a revolution, others find the opposite.

If a player is a beginner then the heavier side of the dart equation does iron out the wrinkles, but I'd always recommend starting mid range,
that way they could go up or down in weight as they gain experience and a feel for the darts.

All you can do is experiment, theres no perfect answer

the big dogg
4th January 2011, 05:01 PM
Cheers Steve, over the last few years I've tried all shapes and sizes however always stayed around the same weight. What I am probably thinking is I seem to put more effort and movement in bodily wise to reach the board with heavier weights. I now want to cut out any additional movement and throw from the elbow and keep everything else still. When trying this with 24,25,26 grams I seem to fall just short of the t20.

Toli
4th January 2011, 05:21 PM
I've been playing for a year and in those 12 months have used 2 sets of darts: 25g Unicorn Cores for about 8 months, then some 24g Bombers for the last 4 months. My natural throw is fairly light and I've often wondered whether a lighter or heavier dart would suit my throw better as I too can dip under the T20 quite often.

Futher study is needed methinks

the big dogg
4th January 2011, 05:34 PM
Just saw some lewis maestro gold darts on sale for 18.00, altho at 20g I think they would be just too light, or would they, hmmmmm

Steve Metalman
4th January 2011, 06:00 PM
Cheers Steve, over the last few years I've tried all shapes and sizes however always stayed around the same weight. What I am probably thinking is I seem to put more effort and movement in bodily wise to reach the board with heavier weights. I now want to cut out any additional movement and throw from the elbow and keep everything else still. When trying this with 24,25,26 grams I seem to fall just short of the t20.
You probably find you throw with the same amount of oomph each time.
Do you drop your elbow on the follow through?

I just watched the Bobby George master class in the video section ( part one) and he says some pertinent things about gravity on the dart, so if its not your elbow dropping then you may have to aim above the target.

Hazza
4th January 2011, 07:05 PM
Generally speaking a lighter dart will drop lower than a heavier dart, imagine trying to throw a feather, it will run out of pace, I'd been dropping below for a while on the 20's changed up to 23grm and now their bang on but thats just my experience