PDA

View Full Version : Bringing in ringers for the top team......

Wooly Bully
5th January 2011, 01:02 PM
So last night we played the team that we are joint top with. We play in division 2 of 3 and the opponents are formed of a Div 1 team that closed last season. As you would expect, they are too good for Div 2 and we've done well to be joint with them as they are better than us.

Sometimes this season we’ve struggled for 6 players so I got a mate to join a few weeks back. When we turned up last night, we found that we had 10 players as the captain had called in a load of Monday night players (considered the more serious and better league).

This resulted in me and two others (one being my mate) not playing any singles matches or doubles matches. Admittedly, we were the weakest three players there, but at least we are there every week and have done well to be top ‘til now. In the end, we played the final trebles match which was a dead rubber as we were 6-4 down by that point.

As you can imagine, I was annoyed by this. I can understand a desire to win but you should do this with the players you use week in week out. If we got beat 11-0 then so be it; you hold your hands up, buy them a pint and accept they’re better than you. Imagine if we’d won due to our ‘ringers’ and got promoted. We’d either be out of our depth in Div 1 or players like me shipped out before having chance to improve in Div 2.

This ever happened to anyone else? I’m considering jacking it in as I’m really disappointed by it. Our captain is a top bloke, but he got this one wrong.

We won our trebles match by the way. But I missed double 12 for a 101 checkout which would’ve been sweet given the circumstances!!!

Ace Rimmer
5th January 2011, 01:17 PM
couldn't agree more mate.
your captains bang out of order.
i wouldn't leave though, have a word with him first

RNLarry
5th January 2011, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=Wooly Bully;10666]So last night we played the team that we are joint top with. We play in division 2 of 3 and the opponents are formed of a Div 1 team that closed last season. As you would expect, they are too good for Div 2 and we've done well to be joint with them as they are better than us.

Sometimes this season we’ve struggled for 6 players so I got a mate to join a few weeks back. When we turned up last night, we found that we had 10 players as the captain had called in a load of Monday night players (considered the more serious and better league).

This resulted in me and two others (one being my mate) not playing any singles matches or doubles matches. Admittedly, we were the weakest three players there, but at least we are there every week and have done well to be top ‘til now. In the end, we played the final trebles match which was a dead rubber as we were 6-4 down by that point.

As you can imagine, I was annoyed by this. I can understand a desire to win but you should do this with the players you use week in week out. If we got beat 11-0 then so be it; you hold your hands up, buy them a pint and accept they’re better than you. Imagine if we’d won due to our ‘ringers’ and got promoted. We’d either be out of our depth in Div 1 or players like me shipped out before having chance to improve in Div 2.

This ever happened to anyone else? I’m considering jacking it in as I’m really disappointed by it. Our captain is a top bloke, but he got this one wrong.

We won our trebles match by the way. But I missed double 12 for a 101 checkout which would’ve been sweet given the circumstances!!![/QUOTE

Your spot on with this one. But talk with Captain first. Our league you can't do that. Players must have played at least 8 games during season to play in play offs.

smiley
5th January 2011, 02:19 PM
In fact the term 'ringer' is given to someone that plays under someone else's name...and is against the league rules. i.e. get your friend James to pretend to be 'fred' for one night, to save signing on a new player...

I guess you are referring to bringing in a stronger team of players for the one off match, to try and win the game...but not contradicting the league rules ??

Actually I am a captain for 3 darts teams...I run a superleague and two pub league teams... and to be honest, it is more important to be fair and consistent in the decisions on who is dropped and playing, than to win the game.

The most important thing in a team is to have a good vibe, and not be argueing over selection... such as what your captain has unfortunately done. I would never dream of ditching my regular players in favour of asking better players to come and play the important game...that is just wrong...you win as a team,and die as a team...win or lose. You can't be that bad a squad to be in your place in the league, and by all rights should have played your regular players for the big game.

The hardest thing as captain is to earn your players respect, and to keep a team together, season after season. You can only do this, by being fair to everyone...either by using a rotation scheme, or by having team rules such as worst losing performance is dropped next week... etc etc

As Larry and Ace said, I wouldn't suggest walking out, especially if you enjoy playing for the team...but just to bring this up with him, and ask him to use his better judgement next time. If he is a good captain he will take this on board, and next time there is a decision to make, he will do the right thing !

Regards
Smiley :)

Wooly Bully
5th January 2011, 02:46 PM
In fact the term 'ringer' is given to someone that plays under someone else's name...and is against the league rules. i.e. get your friend James to pretend to be 'fred' for one night, to save signing on a new player...

I guess you are referring to bringing in a stronger team of players for the one off match, to try and win the game...but not contradicting the league rules ??

Oh is that what 'ringer' is?! Ha - well then I'm not quite right as nobody played under another's name. We have a monday and Tuesday night team (the monday being the better and more serious, I'm led to believe) and when you sign on, you just sign for both in case of emergency.

Last night was no emergency, we had 6 regular tuesday players.

Oh well, it's gone now, just move on and throw better next time. Still wound up though!!

smiley
5th January 2011, 03:51 PM
Oh well, it's gone now, just move on and throw better next time. Still wound up though!!

I don't blame you bully...I hope your skipper does the right thing next time...or he could well find out that he no longer has a team...all of the regulars will get wound up and leave...and the extra players are not willing to play every week !

Have a chat with him, explain how you feel about being dropped to a player just playing for a one off game... and hopefully all will be well again :)

Regards
Smiley :)

Gingert76
5th January 2011, 04:01 PM
hahaha another captain win at all costs! if the captain says at the start of the season he will play his strongest players and screw the ones who turn up every week then fair enough as you can then tell him to shove it and change teams but to just do it out of the blue is wrong and stupid as next week he will be short again as some regulars have teh hump and stop going! its stupid and one o fthe reasons when im captain i say i play to enjoy and not to win and if people want to join a team to play and win every week then my team isnt the team for them! and thats another reason i stopped playing in division 1 of our league as i wanted to have fun each week rather than be in a team that had to win (i played every week but its not what i want from my darts!)

Shed Inn
5th January 2011, 06:32 PM
Ayup Wooly

This is how I see it, If you've got enough lads who turn up every week and you like the pub you play for.
You get your heads together and tell the present captain you think he should concentrate on the monday team!
And you nominate a new captain, a team who stick together stay together.

Shed.

Robert
5th January 2011, 06:49 PM
tbh our captain picks his strongest available team every week
(every player was told this before the season started), if it means dropping himself or upsetting a few folk along the way tough !!
we're all out to do our best in league games as individuals & as a team.

Gingert76
5th January 2011, 06:53 PM
It's fair enough if the capt says that at the start of the league!

Robert
5th January 2011, 06:59 PM
we are all big boys who can talk to each other about any misgivings that may happen.
another rule we put in place is,if anyone falls behind with club dues (£2 weekly) they will not be selected until arrears are paid we have missed our best player (a county A player) for 3 league games through this too.you make rules stick to them and you'll have no comebacks.

TROUBLEAGAIN
5th January 2011, 07:06 PM
We have had it for years in our Monday league, the home of county Darts have a team with a couple of county players which is fair enough- what makes everyone shake there head is the mysterious players who turn up for the odd game or the late arrival so said players can play game and quickly disappear!!! Its a minor 301 league whats it all about.. Its great when they dont win the league!!!!

BanannaMan
5th January 2011, 07:16 PM
well i played for a team turned up each week at 6pm then found out at 9pm that i wasnt playing wernt bothered i wasnt playing but the captain dint have the bottle to tell me. i dropped out ...im .looking for another team ..

ps this helped me in a way a changed my style and now i have the drive to play even better......lol

TROUBLEAGAIN
5th January 2011, 07:26 PM
well i played for a team turned up each week at 6pm then found out at 9pm that i wasnt playing wernt bothered i wasnt playing but the captain dint have the bottle to tell me. i dropped out ...im .looking for another team ..

ps this helped me in a way a changed my style and now i have the drive to play even better......lol

The joys of being a captain-