Thread: Soundproofing a board?

Soundproofing a board?

Hi All,

I've been playing darts on and off for the last year now but have now moved house, allowing me to get a real set up going. The only query I had was that in my old house, if you stood in the hallway (Behind the wall with the dart board) you could hear a clear 'Thud' every time a dart went in. Seeing as my dart board will be on a neighboring wall this may make a noise for the neighbors, so is there anything that can be used to stop or reduce the sound - maybe behind the board?

I'm using a new Winmau Blade 4.

Any help would be much appreciated,
    Regards,
    Jack

Steve Metalman
    Welcome aboard yakasorous.

Best tip I heard on here was a piece of foam back carpet offcut behind the board.

Thanks for the advice,

Do you know if it completely stops the sound?

Steve Metalman
    I would have thought it just deadens the sound.
    I think its would be pretty impossible to soundproof the board completly without going to some considerable expense like buying dum dum pads which they use to sound proof the floor of cars.

Closed cell foam maybe.
    The thing is the wall is a giant acoustic resonator so you need to lower the frequency by stopping or slowing the vibration somehow.
    If you can soften the noise enough your neighbours may not notice it if they have their own general noise tv ,talking, moving about etc.
    If the wall is solid you have a better chance of softening the sound.

I'd say if you can get it to sound quiet, go round the neighbours and get an opinion to see if its acceptable.
    They hopefully will at least appreciate you asking.

Yeah I don't know that it will totally stop it, you could use the carpet and mount it on a circle or square of MDF which should help even more.

Veritas Aequitas

i know this sounds strange...

but my mrs dad puts some old (washed...obviously) socks at the back of his (4 of them)

...they work a dream! =)

Thanks Guys,

I'll give the ideas a try and come back with the results

Like Steve said, the wall acts as a resonator (amplifies the sound) . Frequency isn't really relevant in what you want to accomplish though, its all about the amplitude of the sound wave. So buy reducing the amplitude of the wave ( or the peak of the waveform- the highest amplitude of the wave representing where the dart first hits the board) you will reduce the vibrations that will travel through to the next room. Placing high density foam behind the dartboard will do exactly this. Hope that helps.
    Darts used: Hustler darts 23g, yellow deflectagrip shafts w/stem rings, Elkadart standard flights.
    Highest Score: 180
    Total 180's: 2

Novice
    I had the same problem as I live in a basement suite and the noise was too loud for the people up stairs. So how did I fix it? Had a friend bulid me a stand for my board. It breaks down and is portable. Made the world of difference not havin it on the wall.

If i knew how to put pics on here I would post it.

My friend recently moved into a modern apartment and straight away had this problem. Its also rented which means holes in the wall for a bracket were out the question. His only option was a dartmate (dart stand)...must say im impressed and may buy one myself although it did take me a while to get used to throwing against a board thats not against the wall in the background!
    Nickname - Cyclops
    Best finish - 170
    Best 501 - 12 darts
    Darts - RD Fusion 22g

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I went to halford, bought a few large sponges, cut them up and placed them around the back of the board.

Works good but there is still a bit of noise.

Old clothing works quite well if you cut it up
    If you think nobody cares, try missing a few payments

never had this problem before but i would have thought the best option would be to mount a board (like in the creating a professional setup thread) with some sort of deadening material behind it, ie sponge or something.
    tighten up so as to take out any wobble and then mount your dartboard onto this.
    like i said never tried it though.

Hi All,

Firstly I would like to apologize for the large 'bump' on this thread due to the last post being in February earlier this year but I hope it will round of the thread.

This time gap has been caused by some problems at home but however the dartboard is up on the same wall and totally soundproofed! Using some of the suggestions posted on here and a bit of testing the board is in full swing and with no neighbouring complaints.

The board itself is placed on a simple thick wood circular backboard mounted to the wall, however in between the board and backboard is a 5cm thick layer of Carpet underlay which seems to prevent any sound proceeding through the wall. After some discussions with the neighbors, I asked a friend to throw darts at the board and I listened in the house, however no sound was to be heard! Back at the oche, the player can hear a resounding 'thud' as expected so this is unaffected.

Hope this clears up and rounds up the thread,
    Any other suugestions or improvements will be welcome,

Jack

Nice one Jack, thanks for the update, glad you have found a solution.

Veritas Aequitas

Steve Metalman
    Jack you are a dude
    This will be the thread we'll direct people to should this question arise again.

Its always nice to get a happy ending to a thread.
    All the very best and thanks