Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All About Stems/Shafts

Lightbulb All About Stems/Shafts

Bit quiet on here - so - I started collecting info about stems at the side to produce such a thread.

5th of April:
    Quote Originally Posted by steph View Post
    There are so many threads about this stuff.
    To have a place to skim through might be nice...
    Stuff like:
    stem-comparisons, plastic rings/ rings thin titanium/thick titanium, this brand, that spring, which punch, compatibility, what is for what, and what doesnīt work with what, strange misunderstandings..
    So - itīs been on my mind for quite a while..
    For some reason I find darts-equipment irresistibly fascinating - even while at my beginnerīs darts-playing level.

Iīll link up to some threads, transfer-quote stuff I find interesting and 'compare' within my own little collection later too.
    So this is work in progress - but I post it now to have done with it for first...
    Itīs not meant only to be done by me - please put stem-stuff in here as you like - the more the better!

This is what kicked it off: differences and in connection:Same Dart Length Observation
    They are about stem-length and the influence on the flight of the dart.

And this: Harrows Vibro Stems Mini Review and a recent comment ..

So – excerpt from the above thread:

Quote Originally Posted by CollinsArmsCrusaders View Post
    I recently got a new set of Target Apollo Silica 26g darts and picked up a set of Harrows Vibro stems, so I thought I would share my thoughts:

Length:

These are branded as "midi" and I believe DC put them in their tweenie bracket. They are longer than most other tweenies that I have come across, loaded with a standard flight, they are almost the same length as my "medium" aluminium Slik Stiks.

Function:

Thanks to the "technology" built into them, these stems are heavier than most, which suits the darts I am using them with at the moment. I have had the odd totally random bounce out when the dart already in the board has "rejected" the incoming dart at a rate of knots rather than letting it through easier as intended. However, these odd instances aside, they do appear to do what they are designed to do and have allowed darts to get into places that rigid stems wouldn't have done.

Another point worth noting is how tightly these hold the flights. I haven't lost a flight yet. This might be a problem for Dimplex flight fans though.

Durability:

This is my biggest reservation. These stems cost Ģ2.40 and within a week of playing for an hour or two a day, one stem is bent to a jaunty angle and another has been Robin Hooded. The Robin Hood may have been my fault for taking my darts out of the board clumsily rather than doing it with my point (see the tight hold above). The bend may also be my fault as I was carrying them in a flimsy freebie Target case, not a decent one. I have ordered two further sets, so will update this thread with my experience of the two other sets' durability.

My biggest complaint is that removable tops would be a good idea (like Target's new spinners) in view of the price.

Has anyone else tried these yet?
    Hm - what you got there, looks a bit like what Julie Gore uses.

Harrows Vibro
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE THE FISH View Post

I found this pic of how them
    I've got a feeling that it's not a case of spare tops not being available yet, but of the stems not being designed for the tips to be changed.

It's odd because the tops have knurling as if they are meant to be unscrewed but don't feel like they will. Replacements should be here tomorrow, so I'll risk totally running one of the bashed up ones to make double sure. I can see why making them this way would be tricky, but given the price I don't see why it should be an insurmountable problem, particularly given that Target's new spinners manage it in a stem for half the price!

So I remembered for example, that I had been hiding something in a thread called 'new darts' - freshly polished now:

These are looking class - and going with Carbon being all the rage:
    Harrows Stems - Carbon Plus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrows

Carbon Plus™
    A revolutionary industry first. Ultra light and ultra strong graphite rod gives a unique front loaded balance to any dart. The anodised linker and top create aerodynamic perfection.
    Supposedly mega-aerodynamic (golf-ball etc..):
    Harrows Dimplex
    Dimplex™ White
    The Dimplex™ revolution continues! Using golf ball technology, the dimples act as turbulators and induce a stabilising layer of air around the shaft. This reduces drag and increases lift.

Something else entirely - quivering and you can cut to custom-length:
    Harrows Quiver

Quiver™
    Flexible polycarbonate shaft minimises deflections. The top can be removed and the shaft cut to the player's preferred length.
    See little review by Minders below!
    DC has one 5 out of 5 stars review - hereīs a thread on them:
    Harrows Quiver shafts

Cosmo Fit Shafts Glitter Juggler

Yes they do look like Daleks – half-Daleks - and they glitter – ugh..
    Maybe supposed to work like the Harrows Dimples - golf-ball-ish...

Targetīs new Silencer alu stems - I donīt expect these to be really feeling stable - and if the do - they probably bend anyway – but I do not know that - maybe they are great:

Target Stems - Silencer - Spinning - 360 Free Movement

Harrows new stems - Speedline - by now only in medium and black or white - looking good and one of the rare slim plastic stems - tangs prone to breaking said a member on here lately - to be expected unfortunately..

http://www.dartscorner.co.uk/Stems-H...339/index.html

From somewhere else:

Warning!

I bought those a while back in the shop:

Dart Shafts - Unicorn - Sigma One - Polycarbonate Rigid Stems

One should expect a high quality with Sigma products, shouldnīt one?
    But look closely: only one of them is concentric at the base cone!
    One is really bad, when I roll the dart with it over a flat surface, it wobbles like hell.

I think, Phil C said, he did like these, after I bought them and posted a pic, and so do I, kind of.
    The suspicion, that it makes a difference is enough already, but I think it does make one.

Reviews on DC say, they are very prone to tangs breaking, too.

Good question:

Aluminum or Nylon Shafts?

Some Cosmo Shaft threads:

Cosmo Stem Length

Cosmo Carbon Stems

Cosmo Carbon Shafts

Mikeīs ingenious diy colouring method:

My Rit Dyed tweenie stems

Sideloaders:

Side loader stems?

Unicorn Slikstik Stems Vs. Bulls Side Wing Shafts

More special effects:

Review - One80 Intelite System

Anyone use the new carbon fiber Unicorn stems? (I broke my carbon fiber Laro shafts)

Titanium Wire Stems

A stab at positive things:

Recommend us your favorite "small darting stuff"!

Negative things:

Unicorn Gripper II Stems

Worst stems youve used

So - as said - will tinker around with this thread and hope youīll join me doing so..
    Last edited by steph; 14th October 2013 at 11:56 AM.
    Composure
    Dartsforum Awards
    [Click Here: WDA Info - Steph's Compilation]
    Testament Darts Review
    Bullseye Repair
    Darts used:
    Winmau Testament, 26 g
    Cosmo Fit Shafts Gear Slim 23 mm, white
    Cosmo Fit Flights Normal Kite, white
    Target Storm Points black, smooth

Professional Player elevendarter's Avatar
    It must have taken you a lot of time, to create a thread like this .-)

Ah - I did it at the side over several days - only a bit at a time - but yeh - a bit of time it took!
    For some strange reason I like doing it - counts as "relaxing" in my book ..
    Also - itīs nothing original or new - just a link-collection and some transfer-quotes.
    Last edited by steph; 1st October 2013 at 01:55 PM.
    Composure
    Dartsforum Awards
    Testament Darts Review
    Bullseye Repair
    Darts used:
    Winmau Testament, 26 g

Professional Player Mindyereyes !'s Avatar
    Hehehe, you alway make me chuckle Steph, with your little organising projects . . . . but they are really fantastic !

So much easier to find information, and always a good read as well.

Top work Steph, love 'em
    Mind yer eyes !

I only got one project left at the moment, and thatīs going to be the hardest - a TDF thread on WDA - Iīll take my time with that and tinker further with this one..
    Composure
    Dartsforum Awards
    Testament Darts Review
    Bullseye Repair
    Darts used:
    Winmau Testament, 26 g

I'm not sure why people don't like the unicorn gripper 2's ??

I have yet to damage any, and have been using them on and off for a few years.

Steve Metalman
    Good work Steph
    I agree it does save a load of hassle having to look for various threads around the site

Although its handy to answer on an individual basis, theres nothing quite like a compilation of info all in one place.

Dont I wish I'd kept all my work off the old forum and this one lol ahh well, never mind, too late now.

I'll see this thread gets stickied so folk have a one stop shop place for stems

Very useful extensive thread steph
    Dartsforum Award
    Carrera C6 Review

Great work Steph, since getting the darts mentioned in one of your quotes above, my collection of tweenie stems is growing quickly. In the fullness of time, I intend to post a comparison thread.

I had a throw with these bad boys recently:

Harrows Heavy Metal

Certainly an experience, they do what it says on the tin - my darts sat in the board at the same Tayloresque angle as they do when I throw with slims normally. I can see that these might be useful to players who like their darts to land at this angle, but need bigger flights to keep them straight. Obviously the added weight is very noticeable, they took the weight of my setup over 30g! I'm struggling for the right adjective about how I threw with them, "twitchy" is the best I can come up with - two straight and one totally wayward. Maybe this is the added weight, I'm not sure. If I was determined to persevere with them (and money was no object) I would drop the weight of my darts so that the overall setup doesn't gain so much weight, although moving the balance point closer to the flight may have an unwanted effect rendering this pointless!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz180 View Post
    I'm not sure why people don't like the unicorn gripper 2's ??

I have yet to damage any, and have been using them on and off for a few years.
    I bought my first Grippers II and they were perfect, I loved them. I used them with punched flights and had no problems untill I had broken one. Then I bought about six or seven sets at once (different colours, mayby more...) and I was very dissapointed with the quality. Material of all of them seemed to be the same, but while I could stick flights deeply into some of them, in another ones the flight didnīt hold at all. No matter the method or spring I had used. I would have to glue the flights into the stems to get the result. The same with Gripper GT.

I stopped using them because of it. The only way how to get the good ones, is to purchase them directly in a shop and inspect them.

I will take some pics later.

guys - and it also already triggered a discussion about one of the stem-species and more - that I find great!

Looks bit as if I started to collect stickers...
    Donīt worry.
    Last edited by steph; 1st October 2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: more..
    Composure
    Dartsforum Awards
    Testament Darts Review
    Bullseye Repair
    Darts used:
    Winmau Testament, 26 g

Blog Entries
    Great work Steph, since getting the darts mentioned in one of your quotes above, my collection of tweenie stems is growing quickly. In the fullness of time, I intend to post a comparison thread.

I had a throw with these bad boys recently:

Harrows Heavy Metal

Certainly an experience, they do what it says on the tin - my darts sat in the board at the same Tayloresque angle as they do when I throw with slims normally. I can see that these might be useful to players who like their darts to land at this angle, but need bigger flights to keep them straight. Obviously the added weight is very noticeable, they took the weight of my setup over 30g! I'm struggling for the right adjective about how I threw with them, "twitchy" is the best I can come up with - two straight and one totally wayward. Maybe this is the added weight, I'm not sure. If I was determined to persevere with them (and money was no object) I would drop the weight of my darts so that the overall setup doesn't gain so much weight, although moving the balance point closer to the flight may have an unwanted effect rendering this pointless!
    A step to far to my mind get the right barrel and no need for those bad boys.

24gm Shumways.
    13mm Carbon Cosmo spinners.
    Cosmo kites.

In a different context I came across a video of a match with Julie Gore - about minute 2:44 she has a dart-collision with bounce out - there is a close-up and what she got is a riddle to me:

Julie Gore - Anastasia Dobromyslova

2 min. in you got her first throw and you can see them quiver/vibrate and 2:30 starts that bounce throw - from there I screenshotted this:

Edit: looks she got movable points as well - equipment nerd - wouldnīt have guessed her to be the type..
    Last edited by steph; 3rd October 2013 at 12:37 PM.
    Composure
    Dartsforum Awards
    Testament Darts Review
    Bullseye Repair
    Darts used:
    Winmau Testament, 26 g

Just though i'd add a bit of info on the Harrows Quiver shafts, seeing as i've got some http://www.dartscorner.co.uk/Stems-H...duct_info.html

Firstly, some facts;

Standard length of the polycarbonate shaft, as new - 37.5mm (excluding threads) 46mm with top fitted; Diameter of shaft - 2.45mm

Aluminium top - 14.5mm long; Diameter at it's widest point - 3.9mm

Overall weight, 0.6g (Shaft - 0.3g; Top - 0.3g)

They can be cut to length easily with a stanley knife, and the aluminium top pushed back on. The top will add another approx 8mm to the total length of your cut shaft.

The shorter ones in the pic have been cut to;

Silver top - 29.5mm shaft, 37mm total length with top fitted

Red top - 27.5mm shaft, 39mm total length with top fitted

(The red tops are some that i've had for years, and actually came from these shafts; Unicorn Jet Stems) http://www.dartscorner.co.uk/Stems-U...duct_info.html

(Jet Stem top is 18mm long, 4.7mm at it's widest point)

Never really liked the Jet Stems, but the tops fit great on the Quivers

I really like using the Quivers, especially on the lighter weight darts, but they work well on anything. I also quite like the 'quiver' effect when the dart hits the board, but maybe thats just me

They're really good for close grouping, the shaft just bends to the side easily.

Pic of Harrows Quivers fitted to darts, just for an idea of how they look assembled;

(Top one is an 'as new' standard, uncut length)

And a final pic to illustrate their 'bendiness'. They are quite springy !

They are nice to experiment with, & use, and for just over a quid i think they are worth a dabble !
    Mind yer eyes !

Aah - great Minders!!
    I really like them with the fancy red tops - very appetizing little review - thanks!
    Such I was hoping for!

Composure
    Dartsforum Awards
    Testament Darts Review
    Bullseye Repair
    Darts used:
    Winmau Testament, 26 g

No probs Steph If you're going to put the effort in, then it's the least i can do !

And another little review on some alternative nylon shafts; Harrows Speedline & Unicorn XL Plus

Firstly, the Harrows Speedline; http://www.dartscorner.co.uk/Stems-H...339/index.html

Unfortunately only available in medium length - 47mm, and are about 3.35mm diameter at the thinnest point. Weight is 1.0g

I like these Not used them a huge amount, but they seem reasonably robust, and grip the flights well.

Available in Black or White. Note: The white really is as white as the pure, driven snow . . . . nice

And onto the Unicorn XL Plus; in a nutshell . . . . crap !!! I wouldn't give them houseroom !!! http://www.dartscorner.co.uk/Stems-U...460/index.html

These come in;

Medium - 45.5mm, 3.3mm diameter at the thinnest point, weight is 0.7g

Short - 34mm, 3.15mm diameter at the thinnest point, weight is 0.5g

Available in Black, Red or White*

Very fragile, hardly any grip on the flight from the weak tangs . . . . and as for the 'so called' white . . . . well, as i said, the Harrows Speedline are as white as the pure driven snow . . . . these Unicorn XL Plus white are the colour of the snow you were always warned never to eat !!!

Within about 5 minutes of trying these Unicorn XL Plus, i'd bust one & ended up just supergluing the flights into them. These are now in my 'experimenting' box !

Superglue made them look awful as well !

Harrows Speedline, i like, (short & tweenie as well please Harrows ) . . . . . Unicorn XL Plus, i don't like . . . . .

Another thought, why can't they make these with a 'normal sized' head on them, so you could use shaft rings with them to further strengthen the tangs a bit, and hold the flights a bit tighter ? (The Harrows Speedline don't seem too bad in this department)

Last edited by Mindyereyes !; 3rd October 2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Mind yer eyes !

Quote Originally Posted by Thrutch View Post
    A step to far to my mind get the right barrel and no need for those bad boys.
    If you need such a back heavy setup (not that I'm convinced that anyone does) would it be possible to achieve this by barrel alone? I guess Steve's John Part setup comes close, but I would still think that the balance point would be further forward than you would achieve with these stems.

Steve Metalman
    Re: The quivers by Mindyereyes

I've experimented trimming my Steel Tri wires (They are a type of jet stem)
    using side snipping pliers (Wire cutters) and a template

But the template is the useful bit so you get the same length each time

In this example I used the good old margarine lid, but thick card will do
    or something more substantial once you have your desired length

There are all sorts of ways to make a template, but this one worked for me on the steel pins of my tri-wires
    I'm sure it would work on the quivers too

Quote Originally Posted by Mindyereyes ! View Post

And onto the Unicorn XL Plus; in a nutshell . . . . crap !!! I wouldn't give them houseroom !!! http://www.dartscorner.co.uk/Stems-U...460/index.html
    Yeah, I wanted to mention it too in my post above (about Grippers). These XL+ are probably even worse than those unworking Grippers.

Oh - great again Minders - especially since I am also very interested in slim plastic stems!
    And not many people use those.

So - the Unicorn got dislodged from the back of my mind - they didnīt look the business on DC already I find.

The speedline look really very nice - more lengths would definitively be a good idea - and maybe red ones as well.
    So you used a normally punched flight on these?
    Interesting!
    I suppose if you robin hood one of them at the tangs they would otherwise easily break.
    People with the Wolframs have gotten these with their darts..

Also - you can never have enough templates for all eventualities in life!
    Composure
    Dartsforum Awards
    Testament Darts Review
    Bullseye Repair
    Darts used:
    Winmau Testament, 26 g