Thread: darts point removal and fitting of new points.

darts point removal and fitting of new points.

Basically I've just ordered some new points and I don't fancy forking out for a proper point removal tool.
    I often use these at work and was wandering if they would do the job without damaging my darts?
    Also, with the insertion of the new points, would it simply be a case of tapping/easing them into the end of the dart.
    Any advice would be welcome.

Not sure if its important but i want to put these points into my Mervyn King darts.

Steve Metalman
    Pop Rivet guns take the points out alright if you have the right size collet.
    But by their very nature they leave marks on the removed point.

Putting the points back in is a case of using 2 blocks of Hardwood.
    One block is used as a bearing surface, for the point to push against, whilst the other block of wood protects the threaded end of the barrel when you tap the points into place with a hammer.

One of the difficulties with doing it this way is getting the point centred correctly
    And the point falling out if its not driven home tightly
    A dab of nut lock helps here.

It can be done, but to be frank, proper equipment is better or send them off to DC, its only 3+ P&P

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sfc4life View Post
    Basically I've just ordered some new points and I don't fancy forking out for a proper point removal tool.
    I often use these at work and was wandering if they would do the job without damaging my darts?
    Also, with the insertion of the new points, would it simply be a case of tapping/easing them into the end of the dart.

Not sure if its important but i want to put these points into my Mervyn King darts.
    Ok Sargent First Class do it right and get the right tool, or you'll be sorrrrrry.

i use a hand pop rivet gun and yes they do leave a small grip on the point but they come out lovely , when i put new points in i put the point tip down in a vice then put an aluminium stem cut off at the end of the taper from the thread into the dart and place the dart hole over the point and gently ease them together , done smash them too hard , hope this helps ..... i dont know if a gas powered or riverter is a good idea i bought a hand riverter for about 3-4 quid and it has all the different size riverts

Some good advice here. I think i'm gonna give this a go on monday. I'm tempted to try it on and old dart first to see if it goes right. Just got to find a dart now that I don't mind sacrificing. This could be difficult...

Thought i'd put a quick update on here. The rivot gun was unsuccessful but i found a friend of a friend who has the proper tool for the job and he fitted them for me. They look very nice and I only gave the guy 5 for his troubles.

Steve Metalman
    Thanks for the update sfc.
    Yeah, its hard to find collets that the right size to grip.
    Glad its sorted, now go and practice lol

Wish i could practice but the little'un is asleep in the next room. I realy need to get a board up in my garage again. Just looking at the board on my wall makes me want to have a chuck!

I invested in a unitool best thing i have done, i do my darts easily and friends when they ask get pints out of it as i wont take money of them.

3 bulls in the dark 3 bulls on knees and a 180 on knees and had my first 9 darter in a game 6/4/11 third 9 darter 8/4/13

Rant

Quote Originally Posted by sfc4life View Post

i had these points in for about 4 weeks and one has just snapped off, not happy going to cost me 9.99 plus postage to get it sorted out.
    Dartsforum Awards
    Deciding Winner!!
    COTF Winners Trophy

Forum Knockout WINNER March 2011

COTT Forum v Forum Team dartsforum award

Finalist Forum knockout June 2010

Darts used...Peter Wright 22g
    Fav players....Peter Manley, Mark Dudbridge.
    nickname....Vandavoon or Chuck 9 Dart Norris
    Walk on music....Dave Clark 5 - Glad all over