Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are Lightweight Darts Preferred by the Pro's?

Why are Lightweight Darts Preferred by the Pro's?

After watching the GSOD this week i've noticed that a lot of the pro players use darts below 23g (it tells you in their stats at the start of each game) is there any particular reason for this?
    Darts: RD Bronzer 5 26g
    Highest Checkout: 153 (T20, T19, D18)
    180's: 11

World Champion
    Grouping I suppose but Taylor 26gm, Barney 25gm and others mate

Apart from Taylor and Barney using the heavier darts, you have the likes of Wade, Anderson, Lewis, Jenkins, Part, Whitlock etc who all use lighter darts - must be a reason for it!

I was thinking thickness of the darts..

Steve Metalman
    Theres no right or wrong weight, it all down to individual choice technique and ability.
    Theres as many mid weight dart players as there is light weight players.
    Its all down to feel and what you/they feel happy playing with.

For me on a personal basis, I dont let current trends dictate what works for me.
    I find a weight I can work with and thats what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Metalman View Post
    Theres no right or wrong weight, it all down to individual choice technique and ability.
    Theres as many mid weight dart players as there is light weight players.
    Its all down to feel and what you/they feel happy playing with.

For me on a personal basis, I dont let current trends dictate what works for me.
    I find a weight I can work with and thats what I use
    Thanks Steve! My problem is i look at what the pro's use and think, if it works for them it might work for me!!

As Steve says - it's all personal.

I think if you looked at it statistically you would see that most players are on the low to mid 20s.

That shouldn't influence your choice of dart though.

When I started playing, the general wisdom down the pub was to start with around a 24g dart. If you got good, you might notice that you'd prefer a lighter dart which might offer more control.

I've been from 24g, down to 16g and back up to 22g - with lots of stops on the way.

Look at Taylor though - 26g and he's the Daddy. (Barney has recently moved down and is throwing his 22g Hero darts I think)

I've developed a test for this - as far as I'm concerned, the weight of the dart will influence the consistancy of the 'lenght' of your throw (i.e. the height the dart hits the board). This should have no influence on the 'line' (left or right).

The test is simple - draw two lines on a piece of paper - one horizontal, one vertical (the vertical is optional but gives something to aim at).

Pin this to your board with the horizontal line at T20 or Bull height (whatever you like really)

Throw a load of darts at this target, trying to get the length right. (I'd suggest at least 99 darts to give a good sample, ideally a lot more)

The holes in the paper will give you an idea of how consistant your length is with that weight. You can compare this with other weights to see which gives you the best results.

In order to get the best results you would ideally have used the darts your trying long enough to get used to them. Maybe do this a few times over a few days to get a real good picture.
    Dart Break Kid

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Hagliatelli View Post
    As Steve says - it's all personal.

I think if you looked at it statistically you would see that most players are on the low to mid 20s.

That shouldn't influence your choice of dart though.

When I started playing, the general wisdom down the pub was to start with around a 24g dart. If you got good, you might notice that you'd prefer a lighter dart which might offer more control.

I've been from 24g, down to 16g and back up to 22g - with lots of stops on the way.

Look at Taylor though - 26g and he's the Daddy. (Barney has recently moved down and is throwing his 22g Hero darts I think)

I've developed a test for this - as far as I'm concerned, the weight of the dart will influence the consistancy of the 'lenght' of your throw (i.e. the height the dart hits the board). This should have no influence on the 'line' (left or right).

The test is simple - draw two lines on a piece of paper - one horizontal, one vertical (the vertical is optional but gives something to aim at).

Pin this to your board with the horizontal line at T20 or Bull height (whatever you like really)

Throw a load of darts at this target, trying to get the length right. (I'd suggest at least 99 darts to give a good sample, ideally a lot more)

The holes in the paper will give you an idea of how consistant your length is with that weight. You can compare this with other weights to see which gives you the best results.

In order to get the best results you would ideally have used the darts your trying long enough to get used to them. Maybe do this a few times over a few days to get a real good picture.
    Excellent Don. I started with 23gm and have moved to presently 26gm. Personal preference of course but like the feel and the weight. Who know what the future may bring though.

Steve Metalman
    lol..
    In the future they will invent a dart made from finkillium it will be 5.5mm thick and weigh 40 grams and the pros will all be using those

I started with a 26g dart with a fairly wide barrel because I liked the way it felt. I'm not sure about the dimensions but I'd guess around 8mm. I was pretty accurate with it, but I just couldn't mentally squeeze three in a bed. The leftovers after putting two in was just intimidating.

Then I started doing exactly what you're doing. Looking at the pros, wondering why so many throw such light, thin darts and It made sense so I bought a set of 21g and realized within a month that there is one large problem (for me) with a light dart: my hands shake when I'm nervous. So that lighter dart wasn't hitting the bed as often as the heavier dart, even with all the room left over because the lighter one is simply less forgiving of minor mistakes.

I also found that I felt like I had to throw the light dart much harder to get it to the board. I'm not sure if there's any physics behind that or not, but it's how I felt. So practicing for a couple of hours with them just wore me out and my accuracy suffered even more.

So I just bought a couple of sets in the in-between weight range, one thicker - 7.9mm 26g, one thinner - 6.0mm 24g and my accuracy has improved DRAMATICALLY over the last week since they've arrived. But here's the rub, now it isn't the dart that's getting in my head. It's the flight. It just looks like a giant brick wall blocking the bed to me now, regardless of which dart I'm throwing.

So... forget what the pros are doing. Throw as many different sets as you can get your hands on for at least a few days per set (if you can) and see which one gets closest to the target the most often and stick with it until you have a real reason to change.

My $.02

Steve Metalman
    This^^^
    Good post Chalky

Speaking of experience, lighter darts are much easier to group meaning more 180's.

Steve Metalman
    Nope, it was nasa
    I heard them use it in an episode of 'I Dream of Jeannie' lol

World Champion
    Oh Lord

Had a girl friend when younger who was the spitting image of her.

Banned
    For Larry vv

As for Darts in weights it all individual taste in weight and Barrel lenghth and width etc

I began with an 19 gram dart then moved up to a 22 gram dart yrs back in 70s

Also have had 21 gram darts and used 20 gram darts ..then way up to a 25 gram dart and now since i had those 25 gram darts stolen

ive recently went back to the 20 gram darts i still had and played very well with all these darts on and off ..
    sometimes when on i mean TV Darts at its best ..id had fancied myself V anyone when on song ..

Meantime Larry wakey wakey and enjoy the song .. Look below Larry vv

only joking

World Champion
    Don and Phil Everly, listen to them all the time mate, nice thx

Banned
    Hi Larry .

:-)

A play a bit of acoustic guitar but with trying get back into Darts again now ive left guitar alone ..

need to also keep strumming away and such also is a good past time ..

World Champion
    Nice wish I could play

Rural Ontario, Canada-at home, the pub, the Legion.
    Quote Originally Posted by rowantree View Post
    Hi Larry .

:-)

A play a bit of acoustic guitar but with trying get back into Darts again now ive left guitar alone ..
    That's funny in that I followed the same pattern but when the darts practise would go off I'd then practise and play the guitar. Now finally good enough I get asked to play in the Legion & Pub. Now if the guitar would only go off more often I might actually become better on the board haha
    No Anonymity Here-

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dvsdog View Post
    That's funny in that I followed the same pattern but when the darts practise would go off I'd then practise and play the guitar. Now finally good enough I get asked to play in the Legion & Pub. Now if the guitar would only go off more often I might actually become better on the board haha
    Thats cool ^^ i only play around the house although as sais need to do such again a ma guitars have been in their cases f
    or now nearing 3 wks approx without use .. and its only few songs i play without need for sheet music i learnt myself ..

But if left alone shall forget a little with the chords maybe ? Need to learn through them again ..maybe Sat or Sun depends

Meanwhile im trying to get back into playing darts the way i used to and although some gd throwing
    not near as gd as few yrs back where i always knew i would play reasonable quite well and sometimes very well
    not the now but wont give up as been trying different Darts but for nowive decided to stay with the slim 20 gram darts
    i have and played very well with in the past ---> a 180

Rural Ontario, Canada-at home, the pub, the Legion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalk Is Cheap View Post
    I started with a 26g dart with a fairly wide barrel because I liked the way it felt. I'm not sure about the dimensions but I'd guess around 8mm. I was pretty accurate with it, but I just couldn't mentally squeeze three in a bed. The leftovers after putting two in was just intimidating.

Then I started doing exactly what you're doing. Looking at the pros, wondering why so many throw such light, thin darts and It made sense so I bought a set of 21g and realized within a month that there is one large problem (for me) with a light dart: my hands shake when I'm nervous. So that lighter dart wasn't hitting the bed as often as the heavier dart, even with all the room left over because the lighter one is simply less forgiving of minor mistakes.

I also found that I felt like I had to throw the light dart much harder to get it to the board. I'm not sure if there's any physics behind that or not, but it's how I felt. So practicing for a couple of hours with them just wore me out and my accuracy suffered even more.

So I just bought a couple of sets in the in-between weight range, one thicker - 7.9mm 26g, one thinner - 6.0mm 24g and my accuracy has improved DRAMATICALLY over the last week since they've arrived. But here's the rub, now it isn't the dart that's getting in my head. It's the flight. It just looks like a giant brick wall blocking the bed to me now, regardless of which dart I'm throwing.

So... forget what the pros are doing. Throw as many different sets as you can get your hands on for at least a few days per set (if you can) and see which one gets closest to the target the most often and stick with it until you have a real reason to change.

My $.02
    Exactly what Chalk said, I coulda wrote this myself but I'd say 5p at least what with inflation. I was fortunate enough to find that Cosmo Super shape flights took that blocking image out of my head before I had a drawer full of experiments.
    No Anonymity Here-