Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unicorn phase 5 darts

Unicorn phase 5 darts

Hello I have just ordered a set of these as a different type of darts, I use Adrian lewis 23g silica's but thought I would get a set of these.

A freind say's that you have to use the Phase 5 stems and I take it that the information is incorrect and you can use any stems with them?

As they have not arrived yet I am unsure just ordered them today, they look like they have slik stick design shatfs which I totaly hated when I tryied them in my adrian lewis darts, but I can see they have a metal scew in point in rosa which looks cool, Also Am i right in saying you get spare swer in tops for the metal rosa attachment that goes into the barrel?

any advise on this would be great.

I have found that I like the following stems, Target laro's, HArrows Dimplex, Harrows Supergrip will all of these stems work just as well with the phase 5 dart?

Or would you advise I use the Phase 5 shafts ? I total hated DMX flights in my adrian lewis darts so again will these stems take standard flights?

You can use what flight and stem you want with them. They are set up for Taylor so the original setup may not suit you.
    "never cruel or cowardly, never give up never in!

The greatest opponent you can face is yourself.

Do the tops change and unscrew from the rossa color bit that screws into the barrel so just the plastic bit unscrews from the metal? so that you can change just the plasic ends to save loads of money when changing the stems?

As I was going to order so spare tops if this is the case? As I just look at the store at phase 5 stems and it says spare tops so at at guess I take it that just the plastic ends unscrew from the titainium end bit? that comes with them as standard or are they the fixed version that comes with the darts to start?

Steve Metalman
    I put my own set up on the phase 5s
    The side loaders and tiny flights just dont fly straight for me
    Actually they just slapped the board sideways

I changed to med nylon stems and kite flights ( or my cosmos) and they flew great.
    I like the Phase 5s, but then I like all the Lowe type darts

Its worth noting dartscorner sell just the barrels as well, so some money can be saved there
    (Thanks to whoever told me that recently )

Speaking of Phase 5 darts/stems etc - can you buy an adapter type 'tip' that screws into the Phase 5 stem whereas you can put a flight in 'normally' and bypass the sideloader setup - but - still use the Phase 5 stem 'bottom'

I LOVE the Phase 5 stem, it's ringed groove works PERFECT with my grip and Lowe barrels.
    Dartsforum Award

---
    Ultimate Shed

The game of Darts - Strive to get better but play to have fun!
    Darts I Use -
    Winmau Ted Hankey (14G)
    RD Talzanos (23G) with short Shafts
    John Lowe World Champion Golden Titanium(25G) & Gold Phase 5 Titanium Shafts
    John Lowe World Champion Black Titanium (25G) & Black Phase 5 Titanium Shafts
    John Lowe "Hero Grip" with "DIY" Natural Finish (25G)

Steve Metalman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Speaking of Phase 5 darts/stems etc - can you buy an adapter type 'tip' that screws into the Phase 5 stem whereas you can put a flight in 'normally' and bypass the sideloader setup - but - still use the Phase 5 stem 'bottom'

I LOVE the Phase 5 stem, it's ringed groove works PERFECT with my grip and Lowe barrels.
    Interesting, I'd say probably not, good idea though

I am confused now are you saying that I have to use the bottom of phase 5 stem to then screw in my standard target laro or harrow dimplex stem or do they just scre straight into the barrel?

Pub Darts Player
    They screw straight into the barrel. But you can use the base of a phase 5 stem and just change the plastic side loader.

Steve Metalman
    I'm no sure what the question is, if its,
    does a standard stem fit the barrel?
    then yes
    heres three of my darts without stems
    • Phase 5s - 26gram
    • John Lowe Golden Heros - 24 gram
    • Target Precision Silica Apollos - 24grams

As far as I know the phase 5 stems, just screw into the barrel like any stem, but some have replaceable tops that can be unscrewed, and theres others that are glued
    In other words a 2 piece stem

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the question

Pub Darts Player
    You understood the question steve. At first he wanted to know whether the phase 5 stems were in two pieces. Then he wants to know whether standard stems will screw into the phase 5 barrel.

Steve Metalman
    Phew!!
    Thanks Connor

I dont know what thread the screw in the tops use but its smaller than the 2ba thread that screws into the barrel
    However I did like the idea of having different ends to the side loaders

My phase 5 arrived this morning and they are great, I decided not to even try the side loaders as I hatted the slik sticks when I tried them out and they look exactly the same. Thank you all for your advise in the thread.

My Target laro shafts fitted great straight to the barrels,

I really don't get what the other person was saying in the room, as I agree to what steve has said I looked at the top of the thread on the top of the phase 5 steam as this sounded great to screw into the top where the top changes as it would be great with a extra short stem as a two part system.

But the thread screw point is much smaller than standard size so I would not see how you would be able to connect a stem to the phase 5 stem in that way.

I will stick to just screwing straight into the barrel even thought that would look much better and sounds like a great idea the screw points and threads to the target laros or any other stems on the market that I know of would not fit into the top of the phase 5 stem. So I will just screw straight into the phase 5 barrel thank you all for your advise.

Thanks Lee

hello I have been throwing my new phase 5's but can not get use to them as I can't work out a grip that suit how to hold this type of dart. As when holding my current adrian lewis silica dart I use three fingers and a thumb grip to hold the dart to throw it. with the phase 5 dart the barrels are much shorter so I am having to use the standar two finger grip with the thumb. I could try and take a picture of my hand in the grip but as I mean a total standadard two finger grip with thumb I guess everyone knows what i mean.

I have been trying to hold the third finger slightly on the point but can't work out how to do this the same each time , I have even tryied holding the very end of the point. I know that it is said that you should not hold the stem at all but would anyone say this would be worth trying as each time I have tryied for a hour I get no where really and don't want to keep waisting time on it if it is just no good.

Does everyone just use the standard two finger grip with a thumb with these barrels?

Any advise would be good as I can't seam to hit as good with these as I can with my adrian lewis darts and I am sure it is due to keep messing arround with the grip as I can't find a comftable way to hold them. and I am unable to throw the same way I am use to with out holding half way down the point as well which it slips a lot as I release when trying that with the third finger.

Thanks for any advise I will keep on trying with the two finger and thumb grip till then I spose I will get use to it , I should have used this in the first place with my other darts when I was getting use to what grip to use.

Banned
    right, dont have phase 5s but did play with short barrells for a while as i used to roll long thin ones in my fingers and they where all over the show , but the small barrels , i held them with two fingers and a thumb on the barrel and the other on the point not right on the end probably in the middle , i amthe same as you i use three fingers and a thumb , but found with putting my finger on the point wasnt helping and i couldnt just use two fingers the darts where every where so i picked up my old 54mm 26g winmau navigators they felt a bit wierd at first but im sticking with them ,well them type of barrell i seem to get a wee bit more consistancey , i am considering buying a set od silica lewis darts my self

hope his helps
    cheers del

Steve Metalman
    Try the second ( middle) finger on the point where it joins the barrel, and let you thumb and forefinger follow behind.
    Place the dart on your middle finger first when to take up the dart
    I havent got a picture of me holding the phase 5s
    but this the grip is what I use on all my darts including the phase 5s and Lowes

hello I don't get the phase 5 stem's
    when you fit the flight into the phase 5 stem. say you use a offical unicorn standard or slim style flight in the phase 5 stem the flight moves around backwards and farwards and makes a annoying vibration noise is this correct? `or should I be using a o ring at the end of the flight to hold the flight securley in place ( well the best a rubber o ring can hold it in place any way) as I tryied this earlyier this evening and it seamed to work but I am unsure if this is what you are ment to do any way and I just guessed correctly.

Or are they just ment to mive up and down slightly in the phase 5 stem, Also I have some sigma flights that must have around a 1cm gap at the end of the flight when in the phase 5 stem this is when I actuallt tryied the rubber o ring at the end of the flight and it seamed to hold the flight in place and did not fall off.

Please advise if you are just ment to leave the flight moving up and down with in the stem or am I ment to fix it with some thing?

regards

Steve Metalman
    Its a bit naff isn't it, maybe try dxm flights they are a bit longer, I dont really know what to suggest other than glueing them with pritt or just forgetting the side loaders altogether

But the reason I've posted is I've got another image of my grip
    Here you go..

Hello Steve
    Thanks for the picture The other one has been helpful , I have been getting better with the phase 5 's since trying it thanks a lot for your input and help on all my questions accross all of my topics including this one since I have joined they have been a great help to me.
    I am sure I will have more to ask hope that is ok.
    I have tryied to put a few bits back into the forum the other night.

Regards Lee

Steve Metalman
    You are very welcome Lee and the kind comments are appreciated

Always feel free to ask, others can learn from what is asked too
    We dont always get it right, but if something sticks then its a good day spent

Just a thought here, it may not work but this thread got me thinking.....

I wonder if these may fit on to the end of the Unicorn Phase 5 Stems instead of the plastic slikstick tops.....

They are spare tops from Harrows, I know other manufacturers make similar designs, Unicorn probably do, but I could not be bothered to search.

I am guessing the thread maybe small enough to fit.

It is something that may work, who knows, but you could try.
    Last edited by F4tboy; 18th February 2012 at 02:20 PM.

Keep your wrist back, look at a point / mark within the target, aim off the tip of your index finger, release the dart when it is parallel to the ground, follow through and point at the target with the tip of your middle finger!